Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The man from Bayeux - England AAR

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

Default The man from Bayeux - England AAR

This is my new English/Norman AAR for chivalry total war. I'll be playing with Very Hard campaign difficulty, and medium battle difficulty..As England - As you might have guessed. It takes place in the form of a story/biography of the (For now) elusive 'Man from Bayeux', set during the dawn of the middle ages, 7 years after William the Bastard's conquest of England.

I'll try to make it as entertaining as possible, with a generous helping of screenshots to go with it. Hopefully my respectable knowledge of Medieval Normandy and the Normans should help to provide an interesting and dare I say it, Educational read (Now if that didn't put you off, I don't know what will ). I'll try and get the first two updates up as quick as possible, so I can enter for the AAR comps.
    Last edited by Jingles; August 13, 2008 at 04:22 PM.

Default Re: The man from Bayeux - England AAR

Author's note:

You, the reader will no doubt remember 2010's freak earthquake in Northwestern Europe. It broke all records held previously for earthquakes in the region and caused millions of pounds worth of damage. The epicentre was reported to have been somehere in the english channel, not far from the Pas de Calais, and much of the British and French coast suffered heavily as a result, with mass landslides, and huge portions of the coast being reclaimed by the sea. Villages and towns in the surrounding regions suffered greatly, in particularly, farmers found their crops ruined, as the ground had been badly disrupted by the tremors.

In the tourist town of Bayeux, the old cathedral there suffered a great deal of damage, principally it's remaining beautiful stained glass windows were smashed beyond repair. The graveyard, however remained the single most grisly spectacle, as the graves themselves along with those who were buried in them were, in a number of cases, upturned, surfacing at ground level. The mess was quickly dealt with by the Cathedral caretakers. Amongst this mess, however, they found quite a treasure. One of the graves, a very old one, belonging to a medieval noble, appeared to contain not just the noble himself, but a small stone sarcophagus-like box. The caretakers took it away, and thinking it may contain medieval riches, they smashed it open, only to be disappointed by its contents. Inside were a set of old texts dating from the 11th century AD, that had been quite uniquely preserved within the vacuum that had existed within the sarcophagus.

The texts were taken to Cambridge where scholars of the medieval period began to translate the old Latin scripts - It turned out to be a yet more remarkable discovery. It was some form of biography, of a man, who it claimed at first only to be called 'A man from Bayeux', hence the title of this humble volume. It went on to reveal that the subject of this biography or story was known as Thomas of Bayeux, a soldier, and knight who had served in the army of Tancrede D'Hauteville (the first Norman conquerer of Sicily) and then served in the army under Duke William of Normandy that fought at Hastings. The man, though interesting, seems fairly unremarkable in his life and deeds, until we read further, and the author, who remains unknown, reveals more of Thomas's past, which shows him to be quite a rarity among knights. Thomas, as other records confirm, died peniless at the age of 55 in Antioch in Syria, so it seems as if this text was composed out of genuine admiration, towards Thomas, rather than a work commissioned by an arrogant and rich noble, and so proves to be quite a rarity among perhaps all medieval scriptures, let alone just the 11th Century. This account gives us a unique insight into the world of 11th century medieval Europe. And so, without further ado, I give you the full translation of those parts of the Bayeux text that were found by Cambridge scholars to be readable, along with notes of my own here and there.

----------------------------------------------------------------

the first real update will follow tommorow, or later this evening

All feedback would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Jingles; August 14, 2008 at 05:54 AM.

Good setting, one of my favourite mods... I'll be following this one!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just working on the next update now.

Good background story. I'm tuned in, Jingles!

They had cars back when William the Conqueror was alive?!?! No wonder he won all the time.

Great job so far.

Author's note: The texts seemed, on close examination to lack any form of introduction, lending to the theory that the work was abandoned, or was never finished, as no fragments of the earlier sections were found, so it is assumed they were never written, or are yet to be found in another location. This also raises the question as to wether the noble the texts were buried with was in fact Thomas himself. The book is quite clearly written from the point of view of an admirer or associate of Thomas, so it is plausible to assume that the body in the grave was not that of Thomas, but that of the author, hence the book's unfinished state. However, it does not answer the mysterious question of why he should be buried with his work. Another problem that some eminent scholars have pointed out is that the work itself looks more to be the work of a priest, hence it's carefully crafted Latin script, which would dispel the theory that the body was that of the author. For these reasons, the identities of the Author and the man the work was buried with remain a mystery.

The earliest ledgible parts of the work begin with a description from what appears to be a soldier or noble's point of view of the battle of Hastings, at which it is believed Thomas fought. It is not a tactical or indeed historical account of the battle, as is depicted on the Bayeux Embroidery (pictured below), but of an insider's view of the experience that Hastings was to those who fought in it, as such, many of the major events, such as Harold's death and the debatable feigned Norman retreat, do not appear here.
    Whether this account is reliable or not, in fact is quite debateable, and still as a result offers no clue as to the author's identity.

-----------------------------------------------------------

THE BATTLE

Thomas felt cold, damp and miserable as he rode astride his heavy destrier, alongside the other cavalrymen. He certainly did not like this new country, and its foul weather and climate were, he thought, testimony to the savage people that lived here. His chainmail weighed heavily down upon him, and droplets of water dripped down from his helmet rim, pattering away gently on his chainmail and damp trousers.He gripped his reigns tightly and his spear yet tighter as they rode towards the hill ahead, upon which The saxon army awaited them. He, despite how he felt about the wretchedness of the situation, felt a certain patriotic pride as he looked out upon the mighty Norman force that was arrayed before them.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The archers took the lead, ready to begin loosing volleys of arrows as per the plan, with the men at arms behind them. The Norman Cavalry, along with the Duke himself, trailed along behind.

The crossing had been really quite terrible. Thomas was not one for the sea, and neither was the sea for him. His only comfort came from the fact that his destrier had enjoyed it even less. The landing wasn't a real problem at all, and they came ashore unapposed. Rumour had it the Saxon king was in the North of England. Thomas didn't know why, or even if it was true to start with, but the rumour was quickly dispelled when Harold's force revealed itself at hastings.

He could just make out the top of the hill through the mist. There, King Harold the usurper and his huscarls waited, backed up by a large amount of saxon levies. The huscarls, danish in origin, were rumoured to be excellent fighters, but Thomas, and indeed many of the other knights, in their own arrogance feared them not, reasoning that no filthy saxon could be the match of the invincible Norman cavalry. Even so, the Huscarls, he could see, stood tall and proud at the fore of the Saxon line, seemingly as unafraid of the Normans as they were of them.

Thomas admired them for that, and looking harder, he could just see the Userper, standing behind the first line of huscarls.

He was foolish to oppose Duke William, thought Thomas, especially with such a small force. Where was the Saxon cavalry and archers that they had been told about? They were nowhere to be seen, and this made Thomas feel slightly uneasy.

The archers soon were in Range, and Thomas heard the Duke shout the order to open fire. He saw them ready themselves, stringing up their bows with fresh, dry strings, and then they notched up their arrows and let loose a volley at the Saxons.

Thomas followed the little arrows through the air, and saw them land against the saxon shieldwall.

Very few of them fell in the first volley, but soon enough the archers corrected their aim, and the arrows fell thick and fast over the shields and down on the saxons. He could just make out the arrows reaching their zenith of the arc, and being almost motionless, before pointing down, and shooting down like hail on the Saxons.

For many hours the arrows fell, harming perhaps less than intended, but fell they did, and the stubborn saxons seemed content to stay put. Soon, the infantry began to move up.

And then the real battle started. Thomas, from his elevated position was able to see the fight, in all its gruesome majesty unfold. The huscarls held firm, but the men-at-arms put up a truly excellent fight.

skulls were split by huge axes, the helmets of the victims caving in like eggshells, the contents spilling all over the attacker, who would only quickly find himself run through by a norman spear. All sense of order seemed to break loose, as the figures swirled about one another, yelling, screaming and shouting over the crash of metal on wood, armour and flesh in the great cacophany of battle.

Thomas didn't have long to appreciate the spectacle before the knights moved forwards. the centre of the saxon line was being pushed backwards, laeving the flanks without support. Thomas and his particular group of knights directed themselves towards the saxon right flank, and when the order came, they charged. Thomas crouched in his saddle, with his spear aimed at the enemy and his shield held close to protect his side and legs. The horses began to canter slowly, and then sped up, the riders bouncing violently in their seats, but after years of practise, not one lost balance, all of them crouched, with their feet securely in the stirrups as The horses rose to a gallop, and then topped out at the charge speed. They powered on at breakneck speed, the nimble, yet huge and heavy destriers bounding and weaving round the corpses of the fallen, and then, once on open ground, they accelerated to what felt an almost impossible speed, aimed straight at the enemy. Thomas could see the fyrdmen, now only yards away begin to falter. Some at the front, and many towards the back had already turned tail and were running, rather than face the towering behemoths on a crash course straight for them. The charge met it's target with staggering force. The horses crashed into the saxon line, and Thomas thrust his spear ahead of him, instantly impaling an unlucky fyrdman through the chest. His destrier knocked down and trampled several others.

The fyrdmen had had enough, and almost all of them had turned to run. Thomas thrust his spear about him, doing his best to kill as many as possible as they fled.

Thomas and the other Knights then wheeled about, some drawing swords to replace broken spears, and others readjusting themselves in the saddle. They waited for a moment amongst the corpses as one or two Knights mounted up again with help from their comrades, after being thrown off by plucky saxons.

Once all were ready, Sir Hugh of Caen, the ranking Noble among them, bellowed the order to advance and finish the Saxons, and the Knights galloped on into the fray. The Saxon huscarls, though having put up a good fight, were now surrounded, and one by one the men-at-arms killed them with their swords and spears.

As he rode, Thomas caught a brief glimpse through the melee of the Norman bishop Odo, astride his mighty black horse, smashing in the skull of an unlucky huscarl with his clergyman's mace. The knights powered in through the melee, and soon had the smallest group of saxons surrounded. One by one, the mighty warriors fell, their bloody axes falling from limp hands, their tired bodies falling slowly to the ground, pierced by a number Norman weapons, and, head to foot in their own blood, and that of their comrades, they hit the muddy floor, each one the tolling of the death bell for the Anglo Saxons. With no escape, the mighty warriors fought to the last, and those that found a way out did their best to stagger away from the battle.

Showing no mercy, William ordered that they be chased down and killed. Thomas looked about, but the King Harold was nowhere to be seen.

Thomas, exhausted, in pain and spattered with human blood, felt no better about himself than when he did at the battle's start. And as he watched the last of the Saxon survivors stumble away through the grass in vain, he truly wished he was somewhere else.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all for this update, hoped you liked it. Sorry about the annoying thing in the bottom corner of the pictures, its because of the file converter I used on them before uploading.

Any comments would be appreciated on what you thought of it, and how I can improve in the future .

Good stuff on that intro. Really, i think it's a nice account of Hastings - specially the part of the norman knights' "arrogance". Now, on your way to establish a new rule in Britain!
    If you're playing with 0.98 (+ the latest fixes), i'm curious to see how stable that version is; i was going to download it, but then i read DaVinci saying everybody to go back to 0.96... (damn it, i would really like to try all the new goodies...)

Cheers,

CK

A massive battle report written in elegant style, well done! I'm eager to hear the sequel and see the story unfold.
    I'm a bit confused though: who is the protagonist? Thomas or the story-teller?
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; August 15, 2008 at 06:59 AM.

Thomas is the main chap concerned, with his story being told by an unknown author... Just to clear that up

@Cathar, Well, 0.98 is perhaps not particularly as stable as it ought to be, and 0.96 is way more stable, but the latest patch has solved alot of problems, and I assure you it's definately worth trying, all the new units, buildings and features (plus a new faction) make it totally worth it.

Glad you guys like it, and hopefully it'll do well in the competition, although it's up against some pretty darned good reads. As promised though, I'm going to start this Roman AAR I promised. I'm just waiting to get a saved game from Austen Bin, who has kindly offered to provide me with one from his own AAR (and so, as a little bonus, It might be able to involve some of his characters - who knows?).

I followed PW's advice and had a look at FRRE, and I've found 77bc to be a very promising mod, with a unique selection of factions, so I might end up AARing with 77bc. I'm not decided yet.
    Last edited by Jingles; August 14, 2008 at 03:44 PM.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Quote Originally Posted by Cathar1209 View Post
    Good stuff on that intro. Really, i think it's a nice account of Hastings - specially the part of the norman knights' "arrogance". Now, on your way to establish a new rule in Britain!
    If you're playing with 0.98 (+ the latest fixes), i'm curious to see how stable that version is; i was going to download it, but then i read DaVinci saying everybody to go back to 0.96... (damn it, i would really like to try all the new goodies...)

Cheers,

CK
    Well, you can try all the new goodies in 0.98.07, but you know then also, that the campaign isn't stable (as yet), whereas 0.96 is stable, and so i adviced, that who wanna play a stable Chiv campaign must go for now with 0.96, until it is proofed that we have to come up with a stable update
    The chance is good though, that JB's AAR camp is stable from 1072-1100 AD, perhaps far longer, some playtests went proper to about 1130/35 andthelike ...lol...
    Last edited by DaVinci; August 14, 2008 at 04:05 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Well, I have planned ahead a little. Due to the relatively odd way my AAR is planned to work out, It shouldn't span too far in terms of years, seeing as Sir Thomas dies at the age of 55. I hope to be able to flesh it out nicely with pictures and writing, so theres no need for it to be a short AAR.

This way I hope to avoid any bugs. In the meantime I'm taking the precaution of saving lots, so I can always backtrack should I need to.

Thanks, Jingle_Bombs and DaVinci! I've decided to try 0.98 and see how it is.
    Good luck also for the contest, Jingle_Bombs.
    77BC is a great piece of work (i personally prefer it over 58BC); of course that what i really prefer is EB, but there are already many AAR's (and roman ones), so I can see why you want to pick another mod for the competition...

Cheers!

Wow, compliment upon Jingle_bombs the thread starter. It is the most remarkable way of writing an AAR I have ever seen. The burgeoning of a writer or screenwriter, seriously.

This is very good. And the screens were nice. I've been looking into this mod for a little while but keep forgeting about it. Looks like a nice refresher from antiquity. And I like the title "William the Bastard". Very witty.

Thanks fellas. I'm off to wales for a few days, so no more updates until I get back. I'll probably be scribbling away the next one in my notebook while I'm away anyway, knowing me...

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Always nice to see a Chivalry AAR
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Zhangir's Avatar Senator

Hey, I am gonna follow this, I like the face of William the Conqueror ! )))))
    The Help of God, The Love of the People, The Strength of Denmark - Proud To See The Red Knight make this AAR Truly Epic!
    Sacrum Romanum Imperium Nationis Germanicæ
    Royaume de France

My avatar is not there because of my religion, but because it looks like the first and last letters of my name put together in my Language (I do know what it means)

Thankyou, gentlemen , I've returned from my trip to good old Cymru, and I'm working on the next update.

Appendix to Part one

Author's note: Having now read over the account of Hastings, The text moves swiftly on to Thomas back in Normandy, at the Regional capital of Rouen. It is necessary therefore, I feel, to 'fill in the gaps' so to speak on events regarding the battle itself, and afterwards, as the account of the battle here has much to be desired from a historical point of view.

On October 13, 1066, William's army moved into position along the base of the hill upon which Harold's army had camped. It had in fact been Harold's orginal intention to launch a surprise attack on William's forces, but his movements had forced the Saxons to adopt a defensive position on the hilltop. All of them had dismounted, and were packed behind the shieldwall, prepared to fight in the traditional manner, using their great danish battle axes.

The Normans were arrayed in three divisions, with archers and crossbows at the front, his men at arms in the center, supported by the heavily armed knights at the rear. In the centre of the army, William commanded the Normans, with the French and Flemish elements of the army on his right, and the Breton forces on his left.

At nine in the morning he ordered his archers forward, but they made little impact on the shield wall, so he ordered his infantry to advance. To the left, the Bretons were attacked by a large amount of javelins thrown by the defenders, and they broke and retreated down the hill. The English chased them. William, along with Count Eustace and his brother, Bishop Odo (Who is mentined briefly in the text itself, and is pictured in this painting below)
    rallied the centre and right. He then detatched some of his knights to attack the Saxon left (It appears, according to the text that Thomas was one of the Knights leading this charge) The rest of the Knights remained ineffectually engaged with the Saxon centre, against the shield wall, and the Normans began to fall back.
    The English gave chase, and were punished by a number of cavalry charges. The Normans claimed this to have been intentional, but many modern historians disagree. The fact remains however that feigned retreat was a tactic widely used by Norman and Breton armies.

As a result of this, the Saxon line was now shorter, and in a bid for victory before nightfall, William ordered his entire army up to attack. Here the Knights broke through to the huscarls, and Harold, who may have already been wounded in the eye by an arrow (though not necessarily dead) was cut down along with his bodyguard.

Afterwards, William expected that the surviving aristocracy of England would submit to him immediately. When no word was recieved from the English leaders, he pressed on to London, and on the way, Saxon leaders began to submit to him, Edward the Confessor's widow, Edith conceded the treasury of England at an early stage, and Archbishop Stigand also transferred his allegiance to William. London surrendered, and on Christmas day, 1066, he was crowned King of England, and the year of the three Kings finally came to an end, with the ultimate Norman triumph.

The text now picks up back in Normandy, focusing on Thomas as he, and the rest of the Normans come into conflict with the Bretons, once powerful men who dwell in the Province of Brittany.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    This section was mainly for the resident history buffs, and those who didn't quite know the details of Hastings. It's not an important part of the AAR, but I threw it in for a bit of flavour .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast