View Poll Results: Which should be our fourth Muslim faction?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Abbassids

28 40.58%
  • Khwarezmians

27 39.13%
  • Ghaznavids

8 11.59%
  • other

6 8.70%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fourth Muslim faction wishlist

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Default Fourth Muslim faction wishlist

If Dominion of the Sword was to add a fourth Muslim faction which would it be?

So far we have
    The Seljuk Sultanate of Rum (later Osmaniyye = Ottomans)
    The Moors (Almoravids/Almohads/Benemarids)
    Egypt (Fatimids/Ayubbids/Mamluks)"
    Last edited by Hengest; August 13, 2008 at 04:53 PM.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Default Re: Fourth Muslim faction wishlist

There seems to be some confusion. The Great Seljuks and the Sultanate of Rum (Turkish Seljuks) are not the same thing.

The official list says that we have the Sultanate of Rum, who ruled in Anatolia. You say we have the Great Seljuks, who ruled in iraq area. The ottomans emerged from the Sultanate of Rum, so which is it?
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Campidoctor

The Abbasids are the only ones in the current scope of the mod's map correct?

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
    The ottomans emerged from the Sultanate of Rum, so which is it?
    I may have got it wrong but I'm pretty sure that is what Nnnm advised me. I wish you would have PMed me instead of posting like this.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    I may have got it wrong but I'm pretty sure that is what Nnnm advised me. I wish you would have PMed me instead of posting like this.
    Sorry

I just wanted to make sure before people voted.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Babur's Avatar ز آفتاب درخشان ستاره می

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    Then Nnnm gave you the wrong advice ,look at this map from one of my books:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And look at where the Ottomans emerged:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

Chaghatai and Coppernickers are right...

I guess the poll should be redone with the option of the Sultanate of Rûm available...No way Great Seljuks would develop in Ottomans...

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by MaximianusBR View Post
    Chaghatai and Coppernickers are right...

I guess the poll should be redone with the option of the Sultanate of Rûm available...No way Great Seljuks would develop in Ottomans...
    Yeah I agree, but only one (possible) faction slot is being offered? What do people want more Abbasids or Rum Sultanate with an ability to adapt into the Ottomans.

Citizen

I think there has been a small misunderstanding with the communications. I assure you we have all our factions fully researched, and all that went wrong is Hross was given the wrong name. I think it is safe to say that we already have the Seljuk Sultanate of Rum (who later turned into the Ottomans, in a manor) and the factions up for debate are:

The Khwarezmi Empire

The Ghaznavid Kingdom

The Abbassids of Baghdad
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; August 13, 2008 at 05:17 PM.

Is the explaination written by Hross is good or not? I am not very good in knowledge about muslim factions, so I would appreciate if somebody could explain each of them (don't want to waist my precious vote )

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by true born Lithuanian View Post
    Is the explaination written by Hross is good or not? I am not very good in knowledge about muslim factions, so I would appreciate if somebody could explain each of them (don't want to waist my precious vote )
    Hross' post should read:

"So far we have
    The Seljuk Sultanate of Rum (later Osmaniyye = Ottomans)
    The Moors (Almoravids/Almohads/Benemarids)
    Egypt (Fatimids/Ayubbids/Mamluks)"

And the poll is not changed:

The Khwarezmi Empire

The Ghaznavid Kingdom

The Abbassids of Baghdad

Other (such as Mongols)
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; August 13, 2008 at 05:17 PM.

zirids

A very brief explanation of Turkish history from 1037 to 1453 I did sometime ago, maybe it can be of some use in here too, here it is:

From 1037 to 1071 the Seljuk Turks conquered lands from Khwarezm to Anatolia, these lands composed the Great Seljuk Empire, but after this period the organized expansion stopped and the westernmost area of the empire, Anatolia, was subject to inumerous migrations of Turkish tribes that were only nominally submitted to the Empire, these tribes formed states within anatolia and created a distinguished turkish culture, the Anatolian Turkish culture, from the final years of the XI century on the Great Seljuk Empire had no power at all over the anatolian turks (which were various types of turks, Turkmen, Seljuks etc)...In the XII century the Great Seljuk Empire ceased to exist, but the anatolian turkish states don't, the most proheminent anatolian turkish state since the end of the XI century was the Sultanate of Rûm, with its core in central Anatolia...

After the mongol invasion in the first half of the XIII century all the major anatolian turkish states were destroyed or severely weakened, the anatolian microstates of this period were called beyliks, one of those beyliks, the one of the Kayi tribe was in circa 1300 renamed Ottoman (Osmanli) Beylik (Osmanogullari) after its mighty brilliant leader at that time, Osman I. In the XIV century the territory of the Ottomans expanded in western anatolia and southeastern europe, in the XV century the expansion was happening in all sides, and all that expansion culminated in the conquest of Constantinople in 1453, which marks the beginning of the hegemony of the Ottoman Empire over Southeastern Europe, Anatolia, Caucasus, Middle East and Northern Africa that lasted for many centuries...

Stephan's Avatar Campidoctor

i voted for the ghaznavids because they are so different from the other nation and their indian persian unit roster is very cool
    but you need to expend the map far to the east, if you are planning to do that they would be the best choice, but if your not, the abbasids would be better

Yes, I know that Ishtar is spelled wrong

Tadzreuli's Avatar Chevalier Blanche

i voted for the ghaznavids
    I too

Vindahl's Avatar Citizen

I say the Abbassids... Cause it's the only one I can pronaunse...
    Under the Patronage of deRougemont.
    Belonging to the House of Wilpuri.

★Bandiera Rossa☭'s Avatar The Red Menace

The Khwarezmi Empire they are awesome lol.
    edit: Hey thats my 50th post lol Im a Yeoman now.

a fourth muslim faction is sorely needed. glad you're considering it.

how far east does your map extend? i seem to recall it not going past the caspian.

if that's the case, i think you should simply split your Seljuk faction in two to represent the Sultanate of Rum and the Great Seljuk Empire. would make for a more interesting anatolia because if memory serves correct, the romans were actually in good relations with the upstart Rum state at the beginning of the mod's timeframe. would add a good dynamic in that region with lots of possibilities for conflict and alliances (romans, armenians, georgians, seljuk turks, rum turks, crusaders, crusader state all vying for control)

plus the rum turks could in terms of gameplay have the option to "become" the Ottomans, with access to a new roster of units. they seem the best possibility overall in terms of added value to the mod.

also wanted to add that since your mod seems to have an emphasis on representing europe in a way no other mods have, then the rum turks make sense in that europe would more likely have interactions with them than the abbasids (who were hardly a power at the mod's start) or the khwarezmians or ghaznavids who are so far east that you couldn't accurately depict the extent of their size (i.e. need to add more provinces for them or they'd be stuck in the corner/edge with one or two provinces) nor would they interact with states aside from those on the eastern portion of the map (e.g. Seljuks, Fatimids/Ayyubids/Mamluks, Georgia).

rum turks seem the most logical choice.
    Last edited by bkyn75; August 15, 2008 at 08:55 AM.

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

Khwarezmi.. Just so you can get a message saying....

"Ala ad-Din Muhammad; Shaw of the Khwarezmid Empire has died, chased from his capital to the Caspian. His great cities of Bukhara, Samarkand and Urgench.. lay in ruins.. a smoldering reminder of those who would oppose the Mongol yoke."

Similar message when Bagdad, Kiev, ect fall.

I like the idea of getting messages... say you or the PC fought a battle in a erea close to actuall location & date.. like Agincourt or Hattin ect..

★Bandiera Rossa☭'s Avatar The Red Menace

Quote Originally Posted by Suboutai View Post
    Khwarezmi.. Just so you can get a message saying....

"Ala ad-Din Muhammad; Shaw of the Khwarezmid Empire has died, chased from his capital to the Caspian. His great cities of Bukhara, Samarkand and Urgench.. lay in ruins.. a smoldering reminder of those who would oppose the Mongol yoke."

Similar message when Bagdad, Kiev, ect fall.

I like the idea of getting messages... say you or the PC fought a battle in a erea close to actuall location & date.. like Agincourt or Hattin ect..
    OMG we said muslim so many times now adds are showing up for muslim dating services.

And ya good idea.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast