Thread: Can not install 5 7 20

Icon11 Can not install 5 7 20

Frustration. Had 5 7 9 before. Worked fine but uninstalled because wanted to change options about AI bonus. Tried to install 5 7 20 but installer said can not find RTW .exe. Neither can I. It`s an installer file, right? Where is it? Must be there because how else can I install Rome? Installer apparently managed to find it with 5 7 9. Ignored and installed anyway. Now installer says I do not have 1.5 or 1.6. Checked and I have. Installer insists that I do not. Start to feel agitated. Never had another mod in, only XGM. Have uninstalled and reinstalled both Rome and XGM 3 times. Nothing works. What to do?

Default Re: Can not install 5 7 20

Hmm, strange. If it worked initially ... RTW.exe is an exe file (and not installer), that should be in you RTW install directory. Right click on RTW shortcut on your desktop, choose Properties, and check the pathway to RTW.exe. Btw, can you play vanilla? If RTW.exe is missing from a reason or another, you should not be able to play neither vanilla nor XGM. You say you checked your version, but is it 1.5 or 1.6? If fresh install is 1.5, you better update it to 1.6, I guess.

Have RTW/BI Gold edition ver 1.6. Can play them with no problem. IŽll check for exe where you said. Thanks for the help. But I dont know how I can direct the installer to it if it can not find by itself

Quote Originally Posted by pobi View Post
    Have RTW/BI Gold edition ver 1.6. Can play them with no problem. IŽll check for exe where you said. Thanks for the help. But I dont know how I can direct the installer to it if it can not find by itself
    I see, you have 1.6 all right. XGM installer cannot find the right folder by intself; you have to indicate it. In principle, the folder that contains RTW.exe, should be indicated as the installation folder to XGM installer. If you still see the message you mentioned, try another XGM version, just to be sure that 5.7.20 you downloaded did not cause the problem.

P.S. As far as I know, XGM should look for BI.exe (or an exe file containing BI letters).

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

This problem is often caused by installing RTW more than once to different locations. Sometimes the result is that the location in the windows registry doesn't match the actual location of the game. To find the actual location of the game, right click on the desktop icon for vanilla Rome, and select 'properties' from the menu that comes up. The 'start in' folder is the actual location of the game. When you run the XGM installer, point it to that folder.

It worked!! Thanks for help! Now its time for Macedonia to conquer the world!