Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most fun faction?

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Most fun faction?

two weeks, that is kind of long.

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Not that long, I played ROME, Barbarian Invasion, SS, and BC for months. Literally for months. My longest was ROME, something like 6-7 months. I just love those long campaigns.

CHEERS
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

I 've played Ghorids,Ghazi.Abassids,Makuria,Armenia (cheated a bit with them !) and Solanki Rajputs. Some of the games froze around 1230 when some faction got eliminated.
    The best campaign so far with Rajputs , allied with Abassids and wiping out the Mongols gradually in 1290 atm.
    However, I soon realized you have to be very careful with Rajput Generals...they just die too easily in battle.

I've never got to play Solanki Rajputs, you are saying they are good??
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!

With the MAmluks

Gwyn ap Nud's Avatar Ducenarius

My overview of my campaigns.

Oman: I'm actually running an AAR campaign as them, because I was so pleased with how my first campaign as them went. Basically, I couldn't conquer towards out of the Peninsula, because the Abbasids (my allies) took the coast there, and thus I was forced to conquer all of modern Oman and Yemen, plus the island, plus the tip of the Golden Horn, plus the African Coast of the Red Sea (Makuria had taken the Arabian coast.) I also took two other settlements west of Gwadar.
    Meanwhile, while I was sailing armies around Arabia, my Abbasid Allies were waging war against the Seljuk's, and barely winning, the Kwarezmians and the Ghorids were fighting the Gazhnavids, and the Ghorids were exploding into India. All of a sudden, I get a notice: Kwarezmi has declared war on the Seljuk turks. Meh. A few turns later, I get another notice: Faction Destroyed: The Great Seljuks. I check the line graphs: During the last few turns, they had risen quite high, taken a small hit from the Abbasids, then almost recovered when all of sudden they went almost straight down. Had the Mongols invaded? What the hell happened? I checked, and all but 2 of their former territories were now Kwarezmi. I think that's when I first had a bit of foresight on my fate.
    I had just taken Yemen, and was planning on staking my own claim in India, when all of a sudden, out of no where, armies of Persians besiege my 3 continental places. Since when was the AI coordinated, when did they learn Blitzkrieg warfare? I managed to save Gwadar by landing my army near it, and then my sister (it was actually her game, that I played most of) decided to play someone else.

Abbasids: Another brilliant game: the combination of a solid infantry core of Abna spearmen, Faris axemen, and Nubian archers and a flexible cavalry arm allowed me to work wonders in the field (once again, my sister did strategy, I did tactical). After expanding her empire all ways except west, taking rebels, I finally convinced her to allow me to make the perfect army to fight her way past the full-strength rebel generals guarding the eastern places, as opposed to her usual rabble of mercenaries and semi-proffesionals.
    With armies like these, I easily dominated field battles, sending my cavalry to harrass enemies, while their seas broke upon my line of infantry; defence in depth is the way to go.
    Eventually, she gathered two stacks (one with a general, one without) of the rabble left over of that army, plus mercs, and I convinced her to send another general with my wonder army, except improved, with heavier infantry, to go to, to take Aleppo. We just arrived in time to see the Fatimiyyuds be beaten off: we would witness those rebels defeat the Latins twice and the Turks of Rum several times before we had a chance to move in. After an easy battle (they were much weakened from many battles), my sister decided to attack the Turks of Rum. We did so, taking several places before sending yet another army to help. It turned out that their war with the Romans was not going so well; they were capturing territory in the East to replace lost territory in the West: that's how they came into conflict with us.
    And then, Armenia and Georgia join in on the fun: Know there were 4 factions, 3 of them Christian, tearing apart the remains of the Turkish Sultanate: All of them allied. The Abbasids and the Romans got the most territory: The Abbasid's through a sudden rush, the Romans, more steadily. The Armenians only captured one or two places; the Georgians had to retreat almost immediately, as there northern borders were under attack by the full might of the Quipchak hordes.

And then she saved over that game...

Very enjoyable to read.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn ap Nud View Post
    My overview of my campaigns.

Oman: I'm actually running an AAR campaign as them, because I was so pleased with how my first campaign as them went. Basically, I couldn't conquer towards out of the Peninsula, because the Abbasids (my allies) took the coast there, and thus I was forced to conquer all of modern Oman and Yemen, plus the island, plus the tip of the Golden Horn, plus the African Coast of the Red Sea (Makuria had taken the Arabian coast.) I also took two other settlements west of Gwadar.
    Meanwhile, while I was sailing armies around Arabia, my Abbasid Allies were waging war against the Seljuk's, and barely winning, the Kwarezmians and the Ghorids were fighting the Gazhnavids, and the Ghorids were exploding into India. All of a sudden, I get a notice: Kwarezmi has declared war on the Seljuk turks. Meh. A few turns later, I get another notice: Faction Destroyed: The Great Seljuks. I check the line graphs: During the last few turns, they had risen quite high, taken a small hit from the Abbasids, then almost recovered when all of sudden they went almost straight down. Had the Mongols invaded? What the hell happened? I checked, and all but 2 of their former territories were now Kwarezmi. I think that's when I first had a bit of foresight on my fate.
    I had just taken Yemen, and was planning on staking my own claim in India, when all of a sudden, out of no where, armies of Persians besiege my 3 continental places. Since when was the AI coordinated, when did they learn Blitzkrieg warfare? I managed to save Gwadar by landing my army near it, and then my sister (it was actually her game, that I played most of) decided to play someone else.
    If all family members of particular faction get killed that means faction gets destroyed immediatelly(if you have enough assasins, track all family members and kill all of them, congratz, you have just destroyed a faction without actually sending an army to conquer them ...). I guess that's what happened to Great Seljuks - they had few generals left, but, they lost their king, heir and family members suitable for King's place. In other words - too big pressure killed their empire, not actual military disaster/conquering their entire empire.

And then she saved over that game...
    Women are like weather. They always change ^^
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

But that wouldn't give all of their territories to the Kwarezhmids, would it?

I slightly exaggerated the turns they fell in. It was more like 15 turns. Still amazingly fast.
    And the blitzkrieg made me absolutely love the AI in this game.

Cromagnon2's Avatar Senator

Yeah those xtra full stacks the AI can produce in mid game can give you some nasty surprise. Nice naration by the way

I think I will call my sister too for the next campaign :hmmm:

+rep
    Last edited by Cromagnon2; August 28, 2008 at 07:37 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

But that wouldn't give all of their territories to the Kwarezhmids, would it?

I slightly exaggerated the turns they fell in. It was more like 15 turns. Still amazingly fast.
    And the blitzkrieg made me absolutely love the AI in this game.
    what you mean by that blitzkrieg tactics? is that something new?

I meant that for once the AI seemed to do something unexpected and coordinated, striking several places at once without blockading a port for 3 turns first.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123