Thread: RTW Installation Problem

Default Re: Bug/Ctd Reports 1.5b - Read First Post for known issues!

I need help, guys. Whenever I start a new campaign I get a CTD within the first few minutes. Sometimes immediately. I don't mean when I enter a battle or do anything at all, I have just let it load and not touched anything and it CTD's. I don't believe this is a problem with RS as much as it's a problem with patch 1.5 itself. I say this because I tried playing vanilla 1.5 and the same thing happened (and with 1.3). I tried playing straight up unpatched/freshly installed RTW and it played fine though I could barely stand it without all the improvements. I thought I'd try my luck again with a fresh installation of Win XP. I thought I'd ask here because you all seem knowledgeable and I miss playing RS ;::

Default Re: RTW Installation Problem

do you get an error report if you dont go to your rs shortcut right click go to preferences and where it says target go to the end of that line and put a space and then type -show_err then hit apply and then ok then load the campaingn and when it crashes it shoul tell you why then type it here

I have that pasted in both the RS and the normal RTW shortcut and I never get any message. I just reverted my video card drivers back on a tip from the official total war forums and it didn't help.

Where did you get the 1.5 patch from?

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Which version of RTW are you using?

When you play RTW do you fight any battles or does it just fail on the campaign map.

Please post the specs of your PC.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

It just fails on the campaign map! I got both (1.3/1.5) patches from gamespot.com. Do you need a full dxdiag?

AMD Athlon 3700+ 2.31Ghz
    2 GB of RAM
    7900GS

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Why wouldn't you download from the official site?
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Doesn't the Total War site just list a bunch of links to other sites like filefront and w/e? I didn't think this would matter too much but I could give it a try...

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Umm no, it has the downloads straight from Sega.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

What's the version of RTW that you bought? Is it a download or is it RTW on 3 CD-ROMS etc.

Can you fight a custom battle?

Do you have problems playing other games?

No need to post the Dxdiag - it's mainly to see that you have a graphics card. Make sure all the drivers are up-to-date.

You can also run something called Advanced Windows Care Personal to have a look at the state of your PC (it's a free download for personal use and you don't need to spend any money to fix the problems it finds - unlike other software). Sometimes there are Windows services running in the background that interfere with games. I used to use msconfig to look at each service and what it did - AWCP lets you click on them and can load up a web page that tells you what they are.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindows...l?Str=download

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here