Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planning a trip to Europe...

Default Planning a trip to Europe...

So we want to go to Spain France and Italy, ending of course in Italy. Here's my question to all you Europeans out there, what is the best way to do it? We need semi-cheap transportation, lodging and food. Advice?

(I'll elaborate more later)

Taxandrius's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Planning a trip to Europe...

If you're going to travel from town to town, and you only need an hotel for 1 or 2 nights, I advice Mercure and Ibis -hotels: quite cheap, good rooms and mostly near or in the center of that town.

hitchhike and stay in hostels or under bridges, also bring a gun and hop cargo trains for longer trips, and rob people when you need money.

Can't beat that for economy.

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

Quote Originally Posted by _Pontifex_ View Post
    So we want to go to Spain France and Italy, ending of course in Italy. Here's my question to all you Europeans out there, what is the best way to do it? We need semi-cheap transportation, lodging and food. Advice?

i can talk about italy, livin here..

for lodging: u could go to hostels (hundreds of them and very cheaper, in each big italian cities) or go to 1/2/3 stars hotels if u hate hostels...

for the transportation: if u have to go from venice to rome, passing per Florence (i hint u the train)

if u go to big towns as Rome or Milan or whatever, and u just want to make excursions outside town, i hint u to rent a car (if u have the drivin licence)..

btw if u wanna see more, u can contact me on Msn... i send u my address via pm

I was looking into eurorail, but the one month pass costs 1 grand, and frankly, I don't have it.

...can I stay with you david?

I was looking into eurorail, but the one month pass costs 1 grand, and frankly, I don't have it.

...can I stay with you david?
    eheh i gotta ask the permission to my girl

Are Europen cities/towns (namely Italian and Spanish cities) conducive for walking? In other words, would I need to get a taxi or possibly rent a bike to get around?

Of course paying a fee for a train is always an option...

Are Europen cities/towns (namely Italian and Spanish cities) conducive for walking? In other words, would I need to get a taxi or possibly rent a bike to get around?

i will give u a report when i come back on sept 3rd. I leave on aug 18th for Europe.
    Have a question about China? Get your answer here.

Romulus_A's Avatar Semisalis

Backpack across Europe and take opportunities as they come, at least that's what my cousin did, and he somehow managed to make it back to the States in one piece...

Not very helpful, but I've only been as far as England, so I wouldn't give very good advice for the mainland, but I am jealous of you for having the chance to go.

Good luck!

"Gafflwn Dihenydd O’r fuddugol yn wiriol sydd, Ni fydd neb yn ein drechu, Falch ydy ni I drochu, Traed o flaen I’r Annwn, mewn y gwybodaeth fe godwn ni."

well, about italy:

if u go to rome for example, and u come there by plain landing in Fiumicino Airport (outside Rome), u can take a bus or taxy to go to Rome...

About taxi in rome: pay attentions, there are 2 kind of "taxy vehicles" in rome.. The first one is normal taxy with the taxy sign on top of the car (hint u this)... there are also people who has not "the taxi license" (no taxy sign on top of their cars), but they work as taxy.. if u get them, be careful... they will make u pay more for the travel....

about bus: bus is the cheapest and slowest mean of transpost to go from airport to Rome city. If u are in a group of people u can go to "taxi"... Example: if taxi travel cost from airport is 20 euro and u are in 4 people (your friends), u could divide 20 euro by 4 passengers... so u will pay just 5 euro per person

About rome city... Rome is a town much walkable.. if u have to go visit 2 different "monuments" that are far away each other, u can easily take bus or get the subway!

here's the subway line of Roma:

How to move inside roma:

Rome is served by an integrated public transport system operated by the companies Atac - Cotral - FS.
    The system includes a network of metro, bus, tram and metro-type rail services.

BUS AND TRAM

The city is served by 238 bus routes and 7 tram routes which operate from 05.30 to 24.00.
    Night bus services comprise 27 routes operating from 00,10 to 05,30.
    These services are recognised by the number followed by the letter N.

SPECIAL TOURIST SERVICE

Bus route 110 provides a tour of the key sites of historic interest in central Rome departing from Termini station at 2.30 pm Monday-Saturday (2 hour round trip).

METRO/SUBWAY

The metro comprises two lines:
    Linea A
    Links the area of Tuscolana in the south-east of the city with Termini rail station, the historic centre of Rome and the area of Prati to the west.
    Linea B
    Links the EUR area to the south of the city with the Basilica San Paolo, the Colosseo and the rail stations of Ostiense, Termini and Tiburtina.
    The metro is in service between the hours of 05,30 untill 23,30.

RAILWAY

Within the central area of Rome there are six key interchange stations (Flaminio, Trastevere, Ostiense, Termini, Tiburtina and Tuscolana), operated by FS and Cotral and integrated with the Metro or bus and tram services.
    Special airport link FS non stop Termini - Fiumicino Aeroporto
    Tickets can be bought directly from designated ticket offices located by platform 22 in Termini station and the entrance of the airport rail station.

BUYING A TICKET - METREBUS

The integrated ticket - Metrebus - provides you with the freedom of using all the modes of public transport within the metropolitan area of Rome excluding, the direct rail link Termini - Fiumicino Airport.
    Tickets must be bought before the commencement of your journey from any Metro station, authorised vendor (newsagent, tobacconist) and automatic ticket machines.

TRAVELCARDS & INTEGRATED TICKETS

Season Ticket
    monthly or annual, is valid on all public transport services within the metropolitan area of Rome
    Weekly Ticket (CIS)
    is valid for seven days on all public transport services within the rnetropolitan area of Rome
    Daily Ticket (BIG)
    is valid for use on all public transport services within the metropolitan area of Rome on the day it is validated
    75 Minute Ticket (BIT)
    is valid for up to 75 minutes on all ATAC buses and trams, for one trip on metro lines A and B and for one trip on any metro-type FS train (2nd class).

VALIDATING YOUR TICKET

Tickets must be validated on commencement of our ourney.
    Validation machines are located at the rear of buses and trams, at the entry gates of Metro stations and within the entrance area of all rail stations.
    Last edited by DAVIDE; August 15, 2008 at 08:06 AM.

Country-wise, train is the best way to get around Europe.

Seriously, EVERYTHING is connected.

I would know, i just finished a huge journey around europe with 'Eurostar'.

The Trains are also very fast

It depends on what kind of vacation you're looking for, wich places you plan on visiting, how much time you have to do so and on how many persons "we" is.

I've traveled trough and in the countries you mentioned many times over. With this bit of extra information I think I'll be able to give you some decent advice. To add to the advice you've been given by other posters already. (Good detailed post davide.cool )
    Last edited by Yaga Shu Ra; August 16, 2008 at 06:54 AM.
    Moreover, whenever fluorescent square motion is required, it may also be employed in conjunction with the drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.

Davide, thanks alot for the advice! that will help us alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaga Shu Ra View Post
    It depends on what kind of vacation you're looking for, wich places you plan on visiting, how much time you have to do so and on how many persons "we" is.
    there will be four of us and it's going to be centered around visiting historical sites, Rome especially. We plan to spend about a week and a half total in Italy.

In addition to this I have a few more questions.

Is it safe right now for Americans to be traveling abroad in Europe? Any negative wave lenghts? Could I land myself in trouble at night in an alley in Barcelona?

Also, are (cheap) hostels basically found all over Spain and Italy? Are hostels preferable to stay in or should we invest more money in better accommodations?

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

Is it safe right now for Americans to be traveling abroad in Europe? Any negative wave lenghts? Could I land myself in trouble at night in an alley in Barcelona?
    Yeh its relatively safe in Europe to be an American, however there are some anti US feelings amongs some people and some Americans have been verbally abused or in very rare cases, worse. So if you want to be 100% safe then say you are Canadian (I know it may be hard for you to say that ) or something. Making a big deal about being from the USA may not be a fantastic idea.

Also, are (cheap) hostels basically found all over Spain and Italy? Are hostels preferable to stay in or should we invest more money in better accommodations?
    Depends what your budget is and what time of year you will be visiting really. Obviously hotles will be more comfortable but it can be pricy (prices well into the 100s for one night). Hostles are good if you have a budget and prices shouldnt be too steep and from experience they have cost me around 15 - 30 Euros a night. There should be plenty to choose from, especially in Rome and Barcelona etc, just do a google search for them.

Well I found train to be the easiest considering the European trains are prehaps the best and most efficient in the world. Food? your in Spain, France and Italy! the food is the best in the world! - for the love of god have the local stuff, its much nicer then a MacDonalds.
    Last edited by Father Jack; August 17, 2008 at 08:21 PM.
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackios View Post
    Yeh its relatively safe in Europe to be an American, however there are some anti US feelings amongs some people and some Americans have been verbally abused or in very rare cases, worse. So if you want to be 100% safe then say you are Canadian (I know it may be hard for you to say that ) or something. Making a big deal about being from the USA may not be a fantastic idea.
    I don't plan on wearing any University of Georgia t-shirts

I'll just have to be aware of my surroundings.

Depends what your budget is and what time of year you will be visiting really. Obviously hotles will be more comfortable but it can be pricy (prices well into the 100s for one night). Hostles are good if you have a budget and prices shouldnt be too steep and from experience they have cost me around 15 - 30 Euros a night. There should be plenty to choose from, especially in Rome and Barcelona etc, just do a google search for them.
    When you say 100's are you talking about hundreds of euros? Because that is equivalent to ....uh.... alot of dollars.

Well I found train to be the easiest considering the European trains are prehaps the best and most efficient in the world.
    I've only heard great things about eurorail, but how pricey does it get?

Food? your in Spain, France and Italy! the food is the best in the world! - for the love of god have the local stuff, its much nicer then a MacDonalds.
    No way in hell I'm eating any burgers! I can't wait for the food.

I don't plan on wearing any University of Georgia t-shirts

I'll just have to be aware of my surroundings.
    Good man And please dont wear those tourist t - shirts that say 'I Love France' or whatever, or we will pick you out as a gullible tourist and con you for all of your cash

When you say 100's are you talking about hundreds of euros? Because that is equivalent to ....uh.... alot of dollars.
    Unfortunately yes

I've only heard great things about eurorail, but how pricey does it get?
    Its vairable and im not an expert on continental European trains. A 15 day pass will cost you about $700+ (for unlimited travel around most of western Europe) Then again it should be cheaper to get tickets from one city to another rather than a pass.

No way in hell I'm eating any burgers! I can't wait for the food.
    Good man!

Lord Consul's Avatar Armchair intellectual

Don't buy anything in Barcelona. Every thing is extremely expensive there. And don't wear any baseball hoods or caps in Paris - the Parisians hate this kind of "overtly-Yankee" stuff.

And in case you don't know a word of French, take a French phrasebook with you. It'll save your life, trust me.
    Proud Client of Obi Wan Asterix

Yeh i also advise you learning as much of a language as possible as there are a number of advantages.
    1) you wont be labeled as a idiot ignornt American (Its the opinion of many Europeans)
    2) Its polite to atleast try and make an effort to speak their language. - ESPECIALLY saying Please and Thank you
    3) I have got things in small shops for cheaper because i spoke in French or when i was in Greece, Greek.

Transportation:
    Seeing as you will be part of a group of four, hitchhiking as the main means of getting around seems unpractical. That pretty much leaves you dependant on public transportation. As others have pointed out, the rail links are reliable and somewhat affordable. Busses would be an alternative. In some cases they even provide a faster connection or one with a higher frequency, and the prices are often below the price of a train ticket covering the same stretch.
    Personally I would never buy a eurorail ticket. You will need to do a hell of a lot of traveling to get your money's worth. Buying tickets just for the stretches you need to cover is usualy far more economic, and doesn't tie you down to just that mode of transportation.
    Within the cities themselves, once you made it to the (historic)city centre, you should be able to cover most of the distances by foot. An added benefit would be the increased interaction you will have with the surroundings, and time to let it all soak in, for that complete immersion in the local culture kind of feel
    Once again, public transportation makes for a reliable and affordable alternative. Depending on the distances between the sites you want to see. If you find yourself making a lot of use of a cities public transportation network, make sure you have a look at the rates for day-passes.
    I would not reccomend renting bikes, the time spend minding the sometimes crazy trafic in order to survive the trip unscathed can be better spend experiencing the more interesting and enriching aspects of the city itself.

Lodging:
    I strongly reccomend youth hostels here. They are affordable, usually located in city centres, and are a great place to meet likeminded folk.
    Camping sites are a possible alternative, though usually not that much cheaper than a hostel. Plus they are often located on the outskirts. So the money you save will most likely be spend on transportation. So only if you are an outdoors kind of person and enjoy sleeping in a tent.
    For a bit more luxery, you could check out hotels ofcourse. Though these come with a price tag.
    Make sure you visit the local tourist information office, aside from a nifty map of the city, they can usualy make lodging arrangements aswell or atleast point you in the right direction.

Food:
    Hostels more often than not will have facilities that allow you to cook up your own meal. Though you'll need to bring and cary around the utensils yourself (pots, pans, a fork, etc.) Or will provide complete meals for a small fee.
    Going out to eat is usually more expensive. Though largely depending on the restuarant. Try to find local eat-houses. Simple meals, low prices. Definitly something you could ask for at the tourist information, or to people you meet in the hostel/hotel/camping site.
    Also, keep your eyes and nostrals open as you stroll through town. In my experience, chance definitly plays a role aswell when finding affordable places with a good price/quality ratio.

Anti-Americanism:
    I would not worry about that. The worst that could happen are some snide remarks about the intellectual capacities of president Bush or some grief over the foreign policy. Actual resentment towards American citizens personally is rare if not non-existant.
    So covering up or appologizing for being an American is definitly not necesarry, but don't go around proclaiming some kind of superiority either by shouting from the rooftops: "our military could bomb the crap out of you!" whilst pointing and laughing at the crowd below.
    Be polite, as Mackios pointed out, some basic etiquette in the local language is a plus, (don't take it too far and grovel). Just showing an interest in the country you visit and it's culture is a sure way to pry loose some sympathy.
    Also, be aware you also have something to offer in that aspect; a window to what an American is like/what America is like. Just as interesting for many Europeans as they/Europe is to you. Interaction.

Hope that helped! Have a great holiday!
    Last edited by Yaga Shu Ra; August 18, 2008 at 09:10 AM.
    Moreover, whenever fluorescent square motion is required, it may also be employed in conjunction with the drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.

Unfortunately yes
    *silently weeps into arm*

Its vairable and im not an expert on continental European trains. A 15 day pass will cost you about $700+ (for unlimited travel around most of western Europe) Then again it should be cheaper to get tickets from one city to another rather than a pass.
    So I could but a ticket from one city to another? How much do those generally cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Consul View Post
    Don't buy anything in Barcelona. Every thing is extremely
    Is Spain safe right now..?

And in case you don't know a word of French, take a French phrasebook with you. It'll save your life, trust me.
    Like a small pocket book of sorts?

Yeh i also advise you learning as much of a language as possible as there are a number of advantages.
    1) you wont be labeled as a idiot ignornt American (Its the opinion of many Europeans)
    2) Its polite to atleast try and make an effort to speak their language. - ESPECIALLY saying Please and Thank you
    3) I have got things in small shops for cheaper because i spoke in French or when i was in Greece, Greek.
    I am fluent in Spanish and can get by with Italians using what Latin I know I think. But a big sorry for the French, as I know not a word.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaga Shu Ra View Post
    Transportation:
    Seeing as you will be part of a group of four, hitchhiking as the main means of getting around seems unpractical. That pretty much leaves you dependant on public transportation.
    Oh God, Hitchhiking? There has to be another way...

Personally I would never buy a eurorail ticket. You will need to do a hell of a lot of traveling to get your money's worth. Buying tickets just for the stretches you need to cover is usualy far more economic, and doesn't tie you down to just that mode of transportation.
    That's how I feel.

[/quote]Anti-Americanism:
    I would not worry about that. The worst that could happen are some snide remarks about the intellectual capacities of president Bush or some grief over the foreign policy. Actual resentment towards American citizens personally is rare if not non-existant.[/quote]

That's great to hear.

Also, be aware you also have something to offer in that aspect; a window to what an American is like/what America is like. Just as interesting for many Europeans as they/Europe is to you. Interaction.

Hope that helped! Have a great holiday!
    I'll be sure not to say things like " 'Merica kicks everyone's ass!"

Thanks for the advice and help everyone, if any of you ever need any advice from me on Eastern coast travel, send a message.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast