Thread: Eldar History

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Eldar History

Here comprises a very brief history of the Eldar race in the game universe of Warhammer: 40,000.

The Eldar are one of the oldest and most advanced races the Warhammer 40,000 universe has to offer, although they are younger than other groups, such as the C'Tan, or the Necrons. The Eldar are humanoids, more slender, agile, and elven-like. Unlike other factions, the Eldar prefer to focus on speed and highly-specified units in warfare.

An interesting bit of trivia is to note that the Eldar were named after Tolkien's self-created Elvish language in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. In the elven language, "Eldar" is the word that stands for the Elvish race. It is from hence that Games Workshop, that company that created the W40k universe, chose the name for the space-faring elvish race.

As is befitting one of the most advanced races in the entire W40k universe, the Eldar were able to utilize their technology to an unbelievably complex extent, the end result being that very little menial work was ever required by an individual Eldar during the course of his many millenia-long lifetime. However, while the Eldar were able to seemingly destroy the destructive forces of natural degradation and entropy, they could not prevent the corruption of their own hearts and desires.

Unburdened by physical labor, or any real work at all, Eldar society saw the creation of cults whose sole intent was to explore all the pleasures and vices that life had to offer. This was to be their downfall, as the Eldar are able to experience emotions, both pleasure and pain, to such a keen extent that is virtually unmatched by any other race in the entire known W40k universe.

Thus, the Eldar society not only saw the rise of some of the most beautiful works of art, but the worst dregs of insanity and depravity as well. Torture and murder became acceptable art forms. Eldar society was beginning to splinter apart, the corpses of millions covering the streets of Eldar cities.

When an Eldar dies, his soul is taken from his body, and placed into the warp to rest for eternity. However, as souls began collecting together at an alarming rate, an entity formed within the warp, reflecting the often cruel methods in which the Eldar had left their lives. This entity became known as Slaanesh, which in turn destroyed all but two of the Eldar gods, Khaine and Cegorach, the Laughing God.

This thus created the fall, an enormous psychic storm that completely destroyed the Eldar homeworld and empire. Those fortunate enough to survive did so by building giant Craftworlds, which rode the psychic shockwave out into space, although not all made it out intact. These Craftworlds now serve as mobile homes for the Eldar, of which there are several. While still numerous in the billions, the Eldar are comparatively outnumbered by the other races that reside in the W40k universe. Given this, it is unsurprising the Eldar favor speed and technology over brute force, which would expose their kin to greater danger.

It is from this point that the universe of W40k is currently viewed in, one with a severely weakened, yet resilient Eldar force that is still much deservedly feared.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Eldar History

Eldar... I wonder what Bradford would comment about this article (hopefully not the old debate about whether Inquisition is better or Eldar is better)...

Also I don't really see why Eldar has best technology in 40K... Their armour is quite weak and their weapons are not strong too...
    Last edited by hellheaven1987; August 07, 2008 at 06:48 PM.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Eldar... I wonder what Bradford would comment about this article (hopefully not the old debate about whether Inquisition is better or Eldar is better)...

Also I don't really see why Eldar has best technology in 40K... Their armour is quite weak and their weapons are not strong too...
    Blame it on Games Workshop wanting to make their precious cash cow, the Space Marine players, happy.

This isn't even supposed to be commented on, this is just a history synopsis. Bradford already knows everything in here.

Space Wolves's Avatar Primicerius

good one none the less+rep cause i admire the eldar, despite my intentions to kill them all....

20,284 Officers Lost in the Line of Duty as of 2010-12 this month- 124 this year
    Red: Suspect inflicted: Blue Accident
    Officer Christopher A Wilson: End of Watch 10/27/10: San Diego PD, CA
    Lt. Jose A Cordova Montaez: End of Watch 10/26/10: Pureto Rico PD
    Cpt. George Green: End of Watch 10/26/10: Oklahoma Highway PD
    Deputy Sheriff Odelle McDuffle Jr. 10/25/10: Liberty Country SD, Texas
    Officer John Abraham: End of Watch 10/25/10: Teaneck PD New Jersey
    Sgt. Timothy Prunty: End of Watch 10/24/10: Shreveport PD. Louisiana

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

I have always wondered how pre-fall Eldar would have matched up against pre-fall humanity.

I have seen both described as an unstoppable force. The Eldar were surely more advanced, but the humans had the STC, which theoretically could build anything, correct?

I'm surprised they never fought, both empires seem to have had their peak at the same time.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Space Wolves's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    I have always wondered how pre-fall Eldar would have matched up against pre-fall humanity.

I have seen both described as an unstoppable force. The Eldar were surely more advanced, but the humans had the STC, which theoretically could build anything, correct?

I'm surprised they never fought, both empires seem to have had their peak at the same time.

yeah, STC can pretty much build anything, from the mighty war titans i assume, the better ones anyway.

20,284 Officers Lost in the Line of Duty as of 2010-12 this month- 124 this year
    Red: Suspect inflicted: Blue Accident
    Officer Christopher A Wilson: End of Watch 10/27/10: San Diego PD, CA
    Lt. Jose A Cordova Montaez: End of Watch 10/26/10: Pureto Rico PD
    Cpt. George Green: End of Watch 10/26/10: Oklahoma Highway PD
    Deputy Sheriff Odelle McDuffle Jr. 10/25/10: Liberty Country SD, Texas
    Officer John Abraham: End of Watch 10/25/10: Teaneck PD New Jersey
    Sgt. Timothy Prunty: End of Watch 10/24/10: Shreveport PD. Louisiana

Well firstly, I seem to recall that the Necrons have the most advanced technology.

Secondly, Eldar armour may be weak but they rely on being fast and mobile which therefore means they are very hard to hit. Their vehicles also have holo-fields and other weird energy shields that make up for the lack of physical armour.
    Eldar weapons are very strong, not too sure where you get this from (Lance weapons, Prism Cannons, D-Cannons, etc).

Lt.Bradford's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post

Part Uno: :shrugs: I don't have any problem with that.

Part Dos: It's really complicated to explain their technology, very complicated.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

whats the STC.

i was under the impression that humanity was a pitiful, barbaric existence while the eldar were at the top of their game......

or is this before the coming of the emperor and all that (sorry i havent really followed wh40k since i was a child so.....im a bit ignorant)

Quote Originally Posted by Carach View Post
    whats the STC.

i was under the impression that humanity was a pitiful, barbaric existence while the eldar were at the top of their game......

or is this before the coming of the emperor and all that (sorry i havent really followed wh40k since i was a child so.....im a bit ignorant)
    Ok, I'll give you a quick overview of human 40K history.

During the 3rd Millenium, mankind began to learn about the warp. Before the warp drive was perfected, initial colonization was slow and painful. Then, the warp drive was invented and the human race expanded rapidly throughout the stars and an age of technological invention and discovery began.

During M18-M23 humanity reached its height in what is known as "The Dark Age of Technology". It was so advanced it could defeat all its alien threats save the Eldar with ease. To help new colonies start up, Standard Template Constructs (STC) which are blueprints of buildings, vehicles, weapons were created. It also helped for effective mass-production. The STC products were highly advanced, but so simple that little technological knowledge was needed to run and maintain them. An Imperial Guard Leman Russ Battle Tank is an example of an STC. It can run on just about any fuel and is so simple to run that a group of Imperial Citizens on Agricultural worlds can learn how to operate one in minimal training time. STC was commonplace during the Dark Age of Technology, when self-sentient machines did most of the manufacturing and fighting for humanity (presumably these were machines, 40K background simply mentions them as "Iron Men" who were said to have worked under the "Stone Men" whose masters were the "Golden Men"). The Empire of Man spanned most of the galaxy and was far bigger than the Imperium.

Perhaps inevitably, these machines (or Iron Men) rose up against their masters and a huge war ensued. Humanity's over-reliance on technology meant that they struggled without it. Though they barely won the civil war (presumably anyway, no such Iron Men can be found in 40K's current universe), the Empire collapsed, psykers became increasingly common and warp storms engulfed many planets (including Earth). A lot of STC was lost during the war and the little that remained was hoarded by Cults that worshipped "the Machine God" or by Technobarbarians. The "Age of Strife" began and last until M30.

Then, the Eldar fell, warp storms ceased and the Emperor reveals himself on Earth. The Emperor builds an army of genetically enhanced warriors (predecessors to the Space Marines) and defeats the Technobarbarians, unites humans on Earth and launches the Great Crusade.
    Along the way, he meets the Cult of the Machine God on Mars who agree to join him. These techpriests worship STC and maintain it. They help him create the first Space Marines and aid the Emperor greatly with their Titan Legions.

During the crusade, more STC is found, Horus Heresy happens, Age of the Imperium begins. Yet more STC is found in this age but even in M41 the Imperium still only has a tiny proportion of the total amount of STC and the techpriests of Mars do not fully understand the machines created by them and how they work, which is why the Imperium is in current technological stagnation.

Examples of STC include Land Speeders, Land Raiders, Predators, Vindicators, Whirlwinds, Chimeras, Basilisks, Hellhounds, All Leman Russ Variants, Baneblades, Titans and I think Sentinels.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

is there any map.. of the imperium and surrounding empires etc?

Lt.Bradford's Avatar Domesticus

Tau has the best and most advanced technology!

Quote Originally Posted by Pallantides View Post
    Tau has the best and most advanced technology!
    Sorry to disappoint but they don't, however they are amongst the fastest in technological rate of advancement, behind Tyranids, if you can call what they have technology (it sort of is, but is more akin to extremely fast biological adaption.

Tau Railguns are awesome though.