Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ENHANCED Garrison-Script for KGCM v3.4

Userpro's Avatar =RAE= HostedMod Creator

Icon12 ENHANCED Garrison-Script for KGCM v3.4

Okay, the Garrison-Script for KGCM 3.4, with the following improvements is ready and seems to be fully functional. What a luckiness...

The improvements are: After the AI has normaly received garrison-script-units in a main city, the same city has to wait 7 turns before getting other garrison-script-units (no more multiple spawning garrison-units, for each attack).
    + And i've also managed, that a human player gets no more benefits from the garrison-script (when the AI is attacking one of your main city, then the garrison script ignores this).

Important: This script is intended as an BETA release, because i've tested the AI vs. AI a few times only. Please give us feedback concerning the behavior when the AI attacking "AI-garrison-scripted" cities. If the feedback about the functionality is positiv, Dave would like to add this garrison script to the main mod (future update).

Installation: Simply replace this file with the original located in
    x:\Medieval 2 TotalWar\mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\
    (make a backup before u replace this)

ATTENTION: Not save game compatible!!!

NEW DOWNLOAD @ POST #27
    Last edited by Userpro; August 21, 2008 at 07:08 PM. Reason: bad bad bad bad english
    Visit our TWC M2TW-Kingdoms Hosted Mods Forum for...

!!! RAE Development stopped --- read last Statement here !!!
    M2TW-Kingdoms Mod Creator REDEO AD EXORDIUM ( RAE )
    Progress: 95% internal final beta release - 85% official release
    RAE TWC-Wiki Eagle Standard interview ... RAE.net Homepage ... RAE TWZ-Germany
    Proudly Sega & Steam Boycotter since ETW! See why here or this petition
    Sorry for bad english here, there and in my tutorials > advanced horde invasion & hide/unhide stratmap-ui & Beginners modding

Default Re: ENHANCED Garrison-Script for KGCM v3.4

So many views and visits here ..... Bear in mind, when you give no feedback soon, you are condemned to give me all the rep's in your possess ....
    Last edited by Userpro; August 08, 2008 at 05:05 PM.

Sorry for bad english here, there and in my tutorials > advanced horde invasion & hide/unhide stratmap-ui & Beginners modding

"After the AI has normaly received garrison-script-units in a main city, the same city has to wait 7 turns before getting other garrison-script-units (no more multiple spawning garrison-units, for each attack)."

First of all i'd like to say this is a great Idea and well done on impementing it!
    My only (minor) problem is that I think this should apply to human factions as well to avoid giving the ai an unfair edge.

Great work though Userprobe!

Okay, thank you and congratulation for the first feedback.
    My only (minor) problem is that I think this should apply to human factions as well to avoid giving the ai an unfair edge.
    There is no problem to change this behaviour in the script. But we must wait for other feedback and what Dave is thinking about that. But keep in mind that a Garrison-script is basically for helping the AI to be more able to defend their main cities.
    But to compensate any unfair edge for human players, maybe better to lower the garrison-script-bonus???!
    Last edited by Userpro; August 09, 2008 at 02:25 AM.

Stylix's Avatar MOS Team Member

@userprobe,

I have downloaded the new script, but I am in the middle of a very good campaign and want to finish it before I try it out. It sounds like a great idea but I am confused about the 'this should apply to human factions as well'. Does this apply to a hot seat game? It was my understanding that in Dave's version (solitaire) the human players do not get the garrison bonus. Have I just never noticed this before or never been is this situation?

In my experience the AI needs every advantage it can get!

I have downloaded the new script, but I am in the middle of a very good campaign and want to finish it before I try it out.
    I can understand you.
    Does this apply to a hot seat game?
    No.
    It was my understanding that in Dave's version (solitaire) the human players do not get the garrison bonus. Have I just never noticed this before or never been is this situation?
    I'm shure you've never been in this situation! In Dave's version the human player get the garrison-bonus. I'm sorry to say that you have misunderstood this.
    Last edited by Userpro; August 09, 2008 at 02:15 AM.

I first came across this when the Spanish attacked my Moorish capital.

I was never so pleased in my life, I thanked Allah that day!

Quote Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicious View Post
    I first came across this when the Spanish attacked my Moorish capital.

I was never so pleased in my life, I thanked Allah that day!

Yes, but at this point you know, that you must thanks Dave's garrison-script, and not Allah.

This enhanced garrison script would not interest me as much if it also works for human settlements. The AI cannot garrison its settlements and needs the help from the script. On the other hand there is no such excuse for humans to have this cheat also. Having garrison scripts when you play makes the game a whole lot easier. As you don't have to worry about leaving certain places ungarrisoned.

Also this would not be so good for hotseat games. When you are playing against other humans, part of the biggest challenge is defending your regions. Some people might say that its not fair if the AI gets this bonus and they don't. But I am only interested in ideas that make the campaign a bit harder.

Dave

@dave,

Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by dave scarface View Post
    This enhanced garrison script would not interest me as much if it also works for human settlements. The AI cannot garrison its settlements and needs the help from the script. On the other hand there is no such excuse for humans to have this cheat also. Having garrison scripts when you play makes the game a whole lot easier. As you don't have to worry about leaving certain places ungarrisoned.

Also this would not be so good for hotseat games. When you are playing against other humans, part of the biggest challenge is defending your regions. Some people might say that its not fair if the AI gets this bonus and they don't. But I am only interested in ideas that make the campaign a bit harder.

Dave
    I agree with the points.

I suppose the main reason I thought i'd mention this is because in a hotseat I was doing my friend attacked a Capital and then withdrew when he saw he was at a neumerical disadvantge.
    They then attacked him with nearly the entire garrison and he pulled off a VERY close victory. He then attacked the garrison again in his next turn and "ta-da" reinforced garrison. It was magic (for me, not for him)

Saying all this with the new garrison script that wouldn't happen.

I'd prefer if harder meant much better Campaign & Battle AI but what can you do?

I managed to start a new campaign as Antioch today also using this improved garrison script made by userprobe. And I like it very much so far, the Turks have already layed siege to Antioch twice in the first 10 turns but I had enough men to defend the Holy city from these attacks on both occasions.

However having to now defend Antioch because I get no garrisons their. Means that I cannot afford to send quite as many armies away to attack foreign regions as I would have before. I think having to defend key regions at the start of some campaigns will almost certainly prevent human players from steam rolling their way over the AI early on. When I hear someone say the TO campaign is easy I wonder if anyone would risk losing their capital at the start now? Nice work userprobe; )

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; August 09, 2008 at 02:59 PM.

It's only a nice work, because it's made with pleasure for my favorite mod, Dave
    I love this perfection in balancing the "near vanilla feeling" and the "improvments from kingdoms" with the important enhancements you've managed. This mod is so perfect (with my own little housemade adjustmensts), how should it be and CA could never do.

Returning to the script: Keep in mind to test the behavior when the AI attacking "AI-garrison-scripted" cities. I know it's fully functional, but i've missed to follow up the AI, to verify the no-give-more-units-for-the-next-7-turns condition, after their first attack.
    Last edited by Userpro; August 10, 2008 at 08:56 AM.

New garrison script working fine...

Well done in making the game harder.

Quote Originally Posted by brousell View Post
    New garrison script working fine...

Well done in making the game harder.
    Thanks for reporting. Keep in mind: Harder because human don't get those garrison units. But easier for multiple attacks on ai-main cities.

The only thing in this script that could potentially make things easier is that once you have activated a garrison and a battle has been resolved. Any remaining army in the said settlement could suddenly decide its a nice sunny day and go for a walkabout But there is not much we can do about the AI's complete lack of understanding that you have to defend as well as attack sadly Is this amount of turns to the next spawn okay? maybe one less is better? I am just thinking that it might be possible to build and send another army to attack and take the target in this window of opportunity :hmmm:

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; August 10, 2008 at 03:09 PM.

What does everyone else think the best cool off period should be in this script between garrison spawns? Please can you give us your reasons and not just a straight answer to this question.

regards,
    Dave

This is a good question. I've initially thinking about 5 to 10 turns, but i can't decide what the ideal number really is. So i'm going for a number between and that it's why it actually would be 7.
    When altering this number, i can't explain why, but i think it's better to lower it, than to raise.
    5-6 !?! But 7 it's not bad anyhow.
    Last edited by Userpro; August 11, 2008 at 06:10 AM.

I have not tried the script yet due to my current campaign (should finish it tomorrow), but I have been following the thread. I think it should be lowered to no more than 5 turns. My reason being, assuming worst case scenario, if the attacker has a citadel within one turn march a new stack could be built in just 4 turns (5 new units per turn) and then attack with a full stack in 5 turns. Of course this is all subjective and is just my opinion. I think that this script is a great improvement and would like to use it in whatever form it becomes.

It may be possible to script the garrison army to dissolve after the battle. If the created units are assigned to a group, that unit can then be ordered to be killed using the kill unit command.
    Last edited by Stylix; August 10, 2008 at 09:29 PM.

I would say 6, because in fact, the time to recruit an other army and go to the target is approximative 6, which is a good medium.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast