Thread: Silent Hoplites

Default Silent Hoplites

Hello again TWC!
    I've recently added the merc hoplites from vanilla Rome to BI.
    However, for some reason they're silent.
    Any tips?
    Thanks

Default Re: Silent Hoplites

They have not been assigned a voice in export_descr_sounds_unit_voice.txt most probably.

That's their code from the vanilla edsuv file:

Code:
    				unit merc greek hoplites
    				event
    					folder ../data/sounds/Voice/Human/Localized/Battle_Map
    					Greek_General_1_name_merc_greek_hoplites_1.wav
    					Greek_General_1_name_merc_greek_hoplites_2.wav
    					Greek_General_1_name_merc_greek_hoplites_3.wav
    					group
    				end
    I think that should do it if you add it to your edsuv file. If not, then remove the "../" parts and bring the sound files into the BI folder.

Ah,I'd copied the entries into the BI EDSUV file but hadn't actually moved the voice files to the BI sounds folder! Will try it now.

No dice I'm afraid, the Hoplites are still mute, maybe their shy...
    I copied the files voice1.dat and .idx, voice2.dat and .idx, and (you guessed it) voice3.dat and .idx, from the vanilla rome sounds folder and placed it in the BI sounds folder.
    Have I done something wrong here? (I'm guessing the answer is yes? )
    Last edited by Amroth; August 08, 2008 at 12:00 PM. Reason: dp

Adding the code to your edsuv didn't work?

There`s more to that...
    1. Firstly he needs to match the voice_type the unit has in EDU to the one from export_descr_sounds_units_voice. I recommend you add all four voice types entries to your BI file.
    2. Secondly iirc you need to rename the file events from Rome - Total War\BI\data\sounds
    3. When you add new entries to the file add them somewhere in the middle of the text(after some BI unit for example), not at the end of the file.

Anyway, this is a guide for unit sounds I`ve made for RTRPE. You might find some info there.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=176565

Quote Originally Posted by florin80 View Post
    2. Secondly iirc you need to rename the file events from Rome - Total War\BI\data\sounds
    Erm...can you explain that one for me,I'm not quite sure what you mean...

There`s a file named events in this location:
    Rome - Total War\BI\data\sounds
    Rename it to oldevents or whatever you like so that the game won`t find it anymore. That way it will load the new sound settings that you`ve done. If you don`t, it will most likely ignore them and the unit will be silent.
    This file is sorta like the map.rwm file for the campaign, but unlike it, the events file doesn`t regenerate if you delete it. That`s why I`ve adviced you do rename so you don`t lose it in case you change your mind.

Thanks, it works fine now, though as BI doesn't have a greek culture it means that when given orders they sound Roman, but thats not a problem, I just wanted em to talk when clicked on.
    So, thanks a lot