Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: For King or Country - The English civil war

Tadzreuli's Avatar Chevalier Blanche

Default Re: For King or Country - The English civil war

very interesting project, Alpha Delta ! I will you good luck and all best + rep

Thanks gents. 50% isn't a bad rough estimate for where it is right now. Other than dragoons, and coat colour variations for the different infantry regiments, all units are now complete. Which brings up a good point...

Dragoons..Historically they were mounted infantry. They looked identical to standard musketeers except that they generally wore cavalry boots. Often used as a scouting force their job was to ride into position, dismount and fight. This is impossible in Med2. I have 2 choices for dragoons, neither of them are ideal:

1) Represent them as light infantry. By giving them stats that make them good ambushers, able to hide, better shots, fire individually, faster runners and be worse in hand to hand combat, they would serve a slightly different purpose to musketeers, but they would have the same basic functionality.

2) Represent them as mounted shot. During this period cavalry often carried carbines and fired from the saddle. They were classified under the old name 'Harquebusiers'. Ironically the 'harquebusiers' of the time were actually the 'cavalier' and 'ironside' calalry that I modelled already. The MED2 engine being what it is, only allows 2 weapons, so I chose pistol and sword instead of carbine and pistol, or carbine and sword. This leaves an historical gap on the battlefield that could be represented by dragoons.

I'm curious for feedback and ideas.
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Assuming you don't have a light infantry troop type already, I would recommend having both.

Bernem's Avatar Senator

wow, high speed and best quality here. :tumbsup:

I'm for the light infantry option, since they dismounted for battle, but maybe you can give them cav speed on the strat map

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

This looks interesting, I'm excited for anything AlphaDelta

I'm leaning towards having dragoons as light infantry, and perhaps adding a 'classical' harquebusier unit.

Here is the Royalist general, the concept comes from an osprey picture of King Charles I.

"I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
    I'm leaning towards having dragoons as light infantry, and perhaps adding a 'classical' harquebusier unit.

Here is the Royalist general, the concept comes from an osprey picture of King Charles I.

Amazing as always.

Carl von Döbeln's Avatar Crossing the Rubicon

Indeed

Just a quick update.

There is now 4 unique/historical foote regiments represented on each side, plus the militia units, plus cavalry..Unit cards and names are complete.

Seems like interest is down a bit, so here is a preview that explains the Association system and the different regiments available.

The Militia Ordinance vs Commissions of Array

During the run upto the beginning of the English civil war, tensions grew between King and Parliament. Control of the county militias, known as trained bands became a central focus as there was no standing army in England. The tensions began to boil and in January 1642 King Charles attempted to arrest 5 members of Parliament. Parliaments reaction was to deny Charles control of the Army.

Parliament passed 'The Militia Ordinance'. It was a piece of legislation that pushed the country one step closer towards Civil War between the King and Parliament of England. It permitted parliament to choose who could command the militia and where. This was an outrage to the King who had traditionally been in control of appointing the Lord Lieutenants to command the county militias (known as Trained bands). It was the first law Parliament had put into affect without royal approval.

In response the king sent out commissions of array to gentry across England empowering them to summon all men aged 15-60. The question of whether to obey Parliament's Militia Ordinance or the King's Commission of Array became an early test of allegiance for nobles and gentry.

Parliaments militia ordinance divided the nation up into "Associations". Each association had a commander and it was his job to recruit into his regiments. This system is simulated in For King or Country.

The map above shows the 6 associations that facilitate recruitment of regimented infantry. Both inside and outside of the associations you can recruit basic militia units providing the settlement has a Militia hall, not a Regimental headquarters.

The Regiments

Parliamentarian RegimentsRoyalist Regiments

Southern Association

The Earl of Essex's regiment of FooteKing Charles I lifeguard of foote

Western Association

The Earl of Stamford's regiment of FooteRalph Hopton's regiment of foote

Eastern Association

The Earl of Manchester's regiment of FootePrince Rupert's regiment of blew coat foote

Midland Association

The Baron of Brooke's regiment of FooteSpencer Compton's regiment of foote

Northern Association

Thomas Fairfax's regiment of foote The Earl of Newcastle's regiment of foote

London Association

Tower Hamlet Trayned bands

Militia

Parliamentarian militia regiment of footeRoyalist militia regiment of foote

Cavalry

Haslerigg’s regiment of horseKing Charles I's lifeguard of horse

Parliamentarian troopersRoyalist harquebusiers

Hope you enjoyed this preview.

Cheers
    Last edited by AlphaDelta; August 24, 2008 at 07:56 AM.

Very nice the Newcastle units should be the best

cant wait to see Prince Ruperts cavalry and Oliver Cromwells cavalry

Newcastle units should be the best
    What gives you that impression?

cant wait to see Prince Ruperts cavalry and Oliver Cromwells cavalry
    They are already previewed.

Newcastle units well when i earnt about it were the best the Lord of Newcastles units though i learnt it 2 years back

All I know is that they got roundly trounced at Marston Moor in '44, although they did stand when the rest of the Royalist army ran. Other than that, with all the work I've been putting into modding, I haven't had much time for reading.

Cheers
    Last edited by AlphaDelta; August 24, 2008 at 08:46 AM.

Campidoctor

Very Impressive, will there be any Calvary with lances?

The lance was dead and buried at this point in history. Entirely replaced by the wheel-lock pistol which had been proven as an effective weapon against European pikemen.
    Last edited by AlphaDelta; August 24, 2008 at 09:31 AM.

Bernem's Avatar Senator

so finally the cantabrian circle will have some use!

Der Angelsachse's Avatar Tiro

Stunning preview and great implementation of the different regiments. That was always going to be tricky, seems like you've really got it nailed though!

God I am so anxious to get my grubby mits on this, i'm almost as excted about this mod as I am about ETW!

Great job so far...keep it up AD

What will the difference be between the regiments ? I 1 stronger or has very unit a thing that makes it different 1 better moral 1 better shoot or all the same ?

so finally the cantabrian circle will have some use!
    Ahhh caracole, an interesting topic. Caracole was a classic reiter tactic, but from what I've read it wasn't used in the English civil war. Infact most cavalry fights in the English civil war revolved around shooting during charging.

What will the difference be between the regiments ? I 1 stronger or has very unit a thing that makes it different 1 better moral 1 better shoot or all the same ?
    Excellent question. I will try to represent differences between regiments from their historical record. For example:

Hopton's - Experienced
    Essex's - Well trained
    King's lifeguard - High morale/dedicated
    Stamford's - Low morale. Unlucky buggers having that man commanding them.
    Manchester's - His regiment was busted up at Edgehill, but went onto be one of the most succesful.
    Rupert's - Impetious (as he was).
    Brooke's - Nothing very amazing about this man or regiment.
    Northampton's - Again nothing very amazing about them
    Fairfax's - Well trained
    Newcastle's - Excellent morale (based on their stand at marston moor).
    Trayned bands - Well armoured (wearing buff coats)
    Last edited by AlphaDelta; August 24, 2008 at 10:56 AM.