Thread: 80 Triarii per unit?

Default 80 Triarii per unit?

sorry - but I'm not sure if this is about reality. We got in game super extra spartan units and greek units. Of course - Spartans were famous about their abilities but it was decades ago. Now we have situation that roman army is one of worse in the region.

Cartaginians have their super sacred bands. Greeks have their great Spartians and other units. Parthians have their super cavalry...

And Rome got only triarii with value 80 per unit?

I suppose that 120 would be much more better. i don't see any reason why Romans are so much worse than Carthaginians, Macedonians and Greek

Default Re: 80 Triarii per unit?

the unit size of triarii was half of other units. also, the triarii were not elite units, just veterans...

dharos's Avatar Tiro

they are only worse than other units of other countries if you do not know how to use and deploy roman troops properly... i've never had a problem winning even an autoresolve battle with triarii, hastati, and principes. besides, compared to other factions, the high morale value of roman troops usually outstrips other nations. romans don't need "elite" troops to win, just decent generalship.

I think a well equipped and experienced unit of Principes are strong enough to be classed as 'elite'. I have Principes with one silver chevron of experience with upgraded weapons and armour with 16 attack and 37 defense. Coupled with the awesome morale bonus and two Pila they are a match for some nations elite units. Maybe not Spartans but then they cost a lot more so you don't see as many on the battlefield. It all evens out one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoDowner View Post
    I think a well equipped and experienced unit of Principes are strong enough to be classed as 'elite'. I have Principes with one silver chevron of experience with upgraded weapons and armour with 16 attack and 37 defense. Coupled with the awesome morale bonus and two Pila they are a match for some nations elite units. Maybe not Spartans but then they cost a lot more so you don't see as many on the battlefield. It all evens out one way or another.

That's what I'm saying about. Principes are almost better then Triarii. So Triari lost their suprerior status because of small number. I think that it should be changed. Principes got very high stats + 2 pilas. So they are better against elephants (they could defeat elephants) and small-range units.

Triari should be given more soldiers, because now it's without any sense

Quote Originally Posted by marcius2000 View Post
    Triari should be given more soldiers, because now it's without any sense
    Actually, this was done to reflect the historical state of Roman armies of this era. There were fewer Triarii than Principes or Hastati. There are two options - recommending 1 Triarii unit per legion (which means you can't group the Triarii as their own group) or making the Triarii smaller and recommending 2 per legion. The second option was selected.

The beautiful thing about a moddable game is that if you don't like that choice, you're free to change it in your own installation. The file you need is:
    <Your RTW Install Dir>\ExRM\Data\export_descr_unit.txt

Find this unit:
    Code:
    type roman triarii
    dictionary       rtr_roman_triarii
    category         infantry
    class            spearmen
    voice_type       Medium_1
    soldier          roman_triarii, 20, 0, 1
    officer          roman_early_centurion
    officer          roman_early_standard
    attributes       sea_faring,hide_forest,command,can_sap
    formation        1, 1, 2, 2, 4,square
    stat_health      1, 5
    stat_pri         11, 7, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, spear, 0 , 0.4
    stat_pri_attr    light_spear, short_pike
    stat_sec         0, 7, no, 0, 0, no, no, no, none, 25 , 1
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  9, 17, 8, metal
    stat_sec_armour  0, 1, flesh
    stat_heat        5
    stat_ground      -4, 0, -8, 0
    stat_mental      19, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 650, 345, 39, 42, 450
    ownership        romans_julii
    Change the red boldfaced number from 20-40.

I recommend you make a backup copy before editing the EDU file as making a mistake could result in CTDs.