Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia (I), Dominate of Flavius Claudius Decimus (Rome) - *IBFD*

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia (I), Dominate of Flavius Claudius Decimus (Rome)

Let us wait for that the emperor show us the current status of our sacred empire and decide after that.
    OOC:love this splitt between the senate
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

It is at this time, when debate was already heated and being waged in old halls of the Curia Hostilia, built hundreds of years before, that Ricimerus came. He had been late, but there he was; there was immediate cheer from some of platforms and among the Senators, as well as with his syncophants everywhere. Now he took his seat in the Senate, and excusing himself from interrupting the discussion, told the Curia his thoughts on the situation:

Senators, Noble Senators, I think we do not decide on this issue. The Emperor, well, whatever speaks in his name, is what rules and gives us order; we obey. And right now there are rumours among fellow aristocrats and military commanders on the field that Ravenna wants Rome to be evacuated at all costs. I know it, it is madness to stay here. Let us do what the reasonable minds here preach, flee and fight the Gothic wave another day! I am perfectly sure you will agree with my advice, in fact, I will be departing to Ravenna soon and I will not wait for others.

I have contacts with the military and there is the perfect possibility that we can regroup and raise an army of loyal foederati to fight the Goths; we might as well use our diplomatic liaisons to stir the factions at the back of the Goths for an all out attack that will divert their attention. Now this is a brilliant plan, Senators, but first, we must keep ourselves intact and alive. If we stay here we will perish together with our treasury; I am sorry to say that we can't hold them. Therefore, I wish this council to become sober, turn to realism and pack whatever special treasury this city holds while the Goths do not cut all the ways out. I am sure reason will prevail, and we will come back.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Hear hear! Let us all take the noble advice of senator Ricmerus. Senators here speak as if this is the end of the Empire itself! Senators, we can regroup, and so long as I am in this senate I will see to it that we will.

Now to dispel the rumors I will point the senate to this clause of the Emperor's message that was received earlier this week.

Should the Eternal City fall, I will wish the Senate to assemble here at Ravenna behind the marshes and before the sea
    The Emperor's intentions are plain, and it is our duty to follow them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

I will follow no man that do not act with all possible resources to defend Rome and I know there is some, not many but a few that think the same.
    I will make my finale decision after that the status report is presented here.
    Son of Legio
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Senator, surely I have misheard you, because I don't think anyone in this hall would make the mistake of publicly denouncing the Emperor. Please explain to us how you misspoke.

Titus glances at senator Dives nervously, concerned for his safety. Surely the Emperor would not tolerate dissent when the Empire was still battling a traitor in Gaul...

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

You heard me senator, I am not to be controled by a man who refuse to take fight for the eternal city, if he wish to kill me for that so be it, I have no fear.
    Son of Legio

you are one cocky senator willing to stand up to the emperor and remember not all Romans live in Rome even if the city falls we will come back and rebuild it.

OOC: has anyone got the mod so we can see the starting millatary, econamy and how much teratory we have got wich is probably not much.
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."Sun-tzu
    Chinese general & military strategist (~400 BC`)

I dont do this because I hate the emperor, in fact I dont hat him.
    I do this because I love the city of Rome and all it´s people, rich as poor, and I do not under any circumstances wish to se her burn and her people put into slavery.
    Son of Legio

Ricimerus watched the petty rivalry that was apparently dividing the Senators. He then heard offensive remarks to the Emperor, and was displeased:

Senators, if you wished to rule Rome alone, then you could have asked Caesar not to cross the Rubicon. But we are too late for that, in fact. While we sit here and talk vainly about heroism the Goths approach, and I am affraid no Roman will fight.

We must gather on Ravenna where the Generals are already forming our troops without bothering with us. There is no time to petty rivalry, you see.

For now, I have already sent my servants to collect everything I have in this town. They should be leaving right now on my orders, and I must depart before it is late to attend the Council with the Emperor; meanwhile you can do the same, or stay here and die. There is no other choice.

In fact I think the sight of men in togas trying to defend this while the Plebs surrenders en masse will be entertaining. Not that I believe anyone will sincerely raise against them in time; off we go, then.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

if the goths attack rome then this inevitable but if we go to Ravenna now and regroup and plan our next move well then we can perhaps psh the goths away from Rome if we are and I must ask if someone can help me out I am in a fincal crisis as all my estates have been looted or taken by the pretender.
    Last edited by Lucius Aemilius Paulus Macedon; August 04, 2008 at 11:03 PM.
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."Sun-tzu

Exactly, Senator Aemilianus. Well, I am affraid there is no time for further discussion! I depart now to Ravenna to read the reports and attend the Council; you Men of Rome should do the same or perish. There is still a chance for recovery!

Oh well I'll take whatever I have left here and leave leater today.

A man sits having listened to all the arguements, he is a tall, lanky individual with piercing green eyes and raven black hair. He has a calm, smiling demeanor. He stands to speak...

"Has anyone here thought about reasoning with the Visigoths? I think perhaps our Augustus would find... respect... for us if we at least tried. Are we absolutely certain we cannot defend this city? Not even with our best military commander? We have troops in Rome do we not? We can pull together some kind of levy troops and do our best to defend the city. They may outnumber us greatly, but there was a time when a Roman and especially a Roman Senator welcomed an honourable death. There is also no reason why we cant keep our avenue of retreat open. The Visigoths do not control the port of Rome! That is our escape route, regardless of whether there is a battle or not.

Our Augustus may have ordered us to retreat to Revanna if the Visigoths attacked, but he did not tell us whether that had to be... before... or... after... we fight."

Manius smiles,

"I say, let a few men among us, or one, fight the battle that is to come. They can escape via ship if they must. This way we can tell the world that 'No, we are not cowards and we tried our best.'"

Vitruvius sits
    Caeso Decimus Crassus (32)

Indefinitely Banned

Bran steps into the light from the his spot in the shadows of the walls. He has seen enough, and made a decision.

I have decided to see that the Eternal City remains under Roman control. The vile Goths stand not a chance against a true warrior. I will stand on the walls and take as many unworthy Goth lives as is possible, and if God wills it, I shall die trying. These despicable unwashed Goths will not survive under a rain of my arrow. On a rare occasion, Bran throws back his hood and shouts:All who are TRUE Romans will stand with me against the Goths, and we will live and die together for the Eternal City. ROME WILL NOT FALL!!

There was an awkward silence, then Bran pulled up his hood and retreated into the shadows once more, to await a response to his outburst.

cowards?? he, he the goths outnumber us by atleast a factor of ten! the imperial army is barly 3 legions while the goths are a warrior nation and are all hardend vetrans with roman millatary experince they know our tactics and our men if they can even be trusted and levying anyone to fight a horde such as the goths won´t be an easy task.

OOC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavius_A%C3%ABtius man I would have liked to have picked this guy. lol I think we should stop debating and w8 till we know wethere the goths are even intrested in rome at all

Indefinitely Banned

If they know of our tactics, let us create new ones! They are a simple people, and they lack the education the people of Rome have been given. Our armour, weapons and intelligence if far greater than theirs. While we may be few in numbers, and them great, but we are strong, and their strength comes only from their numbers. If I must, I will stand alone in Rome's streets. Leave me a ship and I will find my way to Ravenna.

OOC:
    Maxim, whats your characters name? and g'nite everybody.
    Last edited by Lord Stanton; August 05, 2008 at 12:22 AM.

simple peapole? they have lived in the empirr for nearly a century and even though they are lightly armoured that only suits them better since one of their faivorite tactics is to use hores archers to harry our troops and then lure them and kill them off.

Indefinitely Banned

Hnh. They match not my skill in stealth and bow. If any Senator or Soldier will stand with me, we can destroy or force them to retreat.

Then let us stay in the cities, there maneuverability will be of no use on the streets.
    OOC:Servius Aelius Dives, I have no space in my sig
    Son of Legio

Indefinitely Banned

Aelius, will you stand in Rome with me against them? And you Manius? Who else will give support to the cause of Rome? Speak now, for the Empire!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast