Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia (I), Dominate of Flavius Claudius Decimus (Rome) - *IBFD*

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Cvria Ivlia (I), Dominate of Flavius Claudius Decimus (Rome) - *IBFD*

Curia Ivlia, the seat of the Roman Senate

This is where the senate shall conduct all official business. They may make their Senatus Consultum (law of a sort) here, but they must be sent to the Imperial palace for inspection.

This thread will be opened and updated once an Emperor is chosen.
    Last edited by Winter; August 04, 2008 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia (I), Dominate of Flavius Claudius Decimus (Rome)

Titus Aurelius Constantinus Felix stands in the chaos of a senate torn with arguement. The visigoths were at the very gates of Rome, and the senators were debating what should be done.

"Senators, senators, we must come to order! There are things that must be done in this session!

Senators, we have to first ask the emperor to open a full election for all positions. This is the only way to get a handle on this empire. Then we must make preparations to escape from the city to an alternate venue. If I may suggest one I would say that the obvious place to retreat to is Ravenna itself. That well defended city should keep us safe until the visigothic threat is dealt with."

Oppius Aulus Caelinus had come back from the borders. He had been recalled months ago, having fallen out of favour with the emperor, who had installed one of his protéges instead. The fool had been utterly incompetent, and let the Visigoths rampage over his territory before moving his army out in the open and got it slaughtered.
    Not that anyone had said that ofcourse, the Emperor would not like it if people called his choices foolish, so they spoke of the heroic sacrifice that had been given.
    Oppius seethed with rage, though he was carefull not to show it, and stood before the Senate.
    "Fellow Senators, we are all aware of the disaster that has befallen us. It is imperative that the Emperor either takes command himself or names a capable senator to fight off these hordes while the population can evacuate to safety.
    I do not wish to say that we will lose this fight, but the Visigoths have come in greater numbers than ever, and our military situation is not adequate enough to stave them off.
    We must hold Rome if possible but must also consider what to do if it should fall.
    ", with that Oppius sat down and awaited the response from his fellow senators.

OOC: Is this thread open for posting? If not, woops.
    Last edited by Selifator; August 04, 2008 at 02:11 PM.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

It is obvious there are many factions within this senate and Rome itself.
    But let us not be blinded by the fact that we have had our share of emperors.
    It is through them that we have been brought to this place and it is our dutiy as Romans to protect the sacred city with our lives if we must.
    So yes, generals will be needed.
    Capable commanders who will lead us to victory and protect what has been ours since Romulus and Remas.
    Let us not forget our heritage and let us look forward in hope that the divine emperor will lead us into salvation.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

"Indeed, Rome is the heritage from our ancestors and the center of the civilised world. It must not fall to barbarians, it is a sign to all that we can not defend our most treasured city, and that we can not defend the seat of the Emperor.
    As has been said, positions must be given, and I know that many senators are returning to the Curia so it shall be swiftly that we have order and can annihilate these barbarians."
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Indefinitely Banned

ooc: i think i will kiss the emperor arse
    IC: let the new emperor, be greater then the previous one's and get the Vizigoth horde out of our mainlands,
    ooc:couldn't think of anything to say

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Kaeso Favonius Buteo limps into the curia halls. He did not expect miracles from the senate anymore, but he needed to pass the days somehow. His wife didn't want him moping around the house and his old injury prevented him from doing anything else. He sits down, rubs his aching hip and listens.

After hearing the senators shouting their head off about the current problem Buteo stands up, shaking his head. Sarcasm drips from his words as grease drips from a roast boar.

"Senators! These are all very valuable proposals, but we must remember that we are not alone in the making of these decisions. We are but advisors to the Augustus and we should wait for what his supreme highness has decided in his wisdom. So let us wait for what that purple-clad barbarian-hunter has to say, shall we?"
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

As Gnaevs Festvs rises to speak, his attempt to stand had barely overpowered the heavy force of his weight. He caught his breath and proceeded with his argument.

"If I were to take a stroll around this ancient and prestigious city, through every street and avenue, all I would see is ruin, poverty, and hunger. If I were to climb up upon the grand walls our ancestors built to protect the urban city, I would see thousands of...barbarians, as you call them, marching towards a wall of crumbling stone and a city of disease and filth.

There is nothing left here to fight for. This is no longer the city of patriots and determination; the city where great men stood and led the people of Rome against the other civilizations of God's creation. Rome stands as the spiritual and former capital of our huge and sprawling empire. Our past Domini, may God bless their souls, have directed their efforts into building remarkable and breath-taking centers of Roman culture and power in other places. Constantinople, Ravenna, Mediolanium, etc.

Why should we stay here, and end our lives fighting for this minor city, when we can leave for the North? Our Augustus' legions and officers are focused on protecting the lives of their Lord, not the lives of this once-great organization. Staying here would be madness. Our fighting men cannot save Rome before it is destroyed by Alaric's horde. The Great Usurper has drawn our military to the North, and we can only live long enough to see the Visigoths destroyed and Rome saved if we flee to Ravenna.

Staying here would be madness. And I pray to God and our Lord Jesus Christ that you are not madmen eager to lose their lives in defense of this piece of rubble."

Gnaevs falls down with a great thud on his chair as he stops speaking. A sigh of relief is heard. He concludes his speech as he sits.

"It is true that we are only advisors to our Dominus, Flavius Claudius Decimus, and that is my advice to him and all of you."
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

How dare you call our City a piece of rubble, ready to be offered to the barbarians like a piece of meat to a starving dog! Rome has been under the threat of destruction before, but each time she has prevailed, each time she has pushed back the invaders. And each time she has pushed forth until our enemies truly learned the meaning of our army's motto: VICTI VINCIMUS. Having been conquered, WE conquer.

Are we now to turn our backs upon Rome? What would our forefathers say? What would the proud heroes who walk the Elysium field now say? How can we bear to face them when we have traversed the Styx?

Let me ask you, senators, did our Trojan ancestors flee their measly camp on these Hesperian shores when the Rutulians gathered an army against them? Did Horatius Cocles flee when the entire Etruscan army pressed against him? Did our consuls flee when the Gauls and Greeks were breathing down upon our necks in Italy? Did we flee when Pyrrhus marched toward our gates with beasts of war that we had never seen before?

To abandon this City, is to turn your back to Rome. To turn your back to Rome, is TREASON.

Staring at Theodosius with the same intensity Cicero had stared at Catiline, Turnus whispered mournfully

Are you prepared to be accused of treason, senator?

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Senator Saevus you speak insanity. Senator Aemilianus is right. We must flee the city.

What good will we do if we stay here? What will remain of the Senate of Rome? Nothing. The city will be sacked and burned, and every senator will see his head on a pike before the siege ends. Nay senators, we must leave the city, if only for a little while, to ensure that the Senate lives on as it was before.

I will therefore propose a motion for vote.

I. Should the Visigothic hordes attack Roma, the Senate, in its entirety, will retreat to safety in the Imperial capital of Ravenna.

A messenger arrives in the senate hall, and hands Titus a message, he quickly reads the message and then prepares to speak before the senate.

"Well senators it appears that my motion is now moot. The Emperor himself has sent us this decree, fresh from Ravenna.
    To my learned Brothers of the Senate House, and Titus Aurelius Constantinus Felix,

I hear your concern and will address those issues in due course. As I speak, my military officers are compiling a notitia dignitatum of the legions and vexillations available. The notaries are drawing up a list of the provinces loyal to our reign. It is with the utmost urgency that the state will be provided with officers and governors - but we must move with discipline and calculation and not haste.

Look to yourselves in the days ahead for safety in this most darkest of hour. Rome stands alone and must show dignity and fortitude until our armies can relieve her. Should the Eternal City fall, I will wish the Senate to assemble here at Ravenna behind the marshes and before the sea. Our learned conscript fathers will find haven here until our eagles once again traverse this land.

Look to hear from us ere the passing of one day from the arrival of this message and know then the dispostions of our armies, provinces and the great offices of state which we will desire your Senate to fill. Until then, remember the geese and watch for the eagles . . .
    The Emperor himself has seen what some of us could not. It also appears the Emperor will allow us to hold elections shortly. I ask the senators present if there are any other motions we should bring before this body?"
    Last edited by Winter; August 04, 2008 at 05:43 PM.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

A messenger bearing wounds arrives at the door to the Senate House. Imperial mandates are taken from him and then read out by a notary:

To my learned Brothers of the Senate House, and Titus Aurelius Constantinus Felix,

I hear your concern and will address those issues in due course. As I speak, my military officers are compiling a notitia dignitatum of the legions and vexillations available. The notaries are drawing up a list of the provinces loyal to our reign. It is with the utmost urgency that the state will be provided with officers and governors - but we must move with discipline and calculation and not haste.

Look to yourselves in the days ahead for safety in this most darkest of hour. Rome stands alone and must show dignity and fortitude until our armies can relieve her. Should the Eternal City fall, I will wish the Senate to assemble here at Ravenna behind the marshes and before the sea. Our learned conscript fathers will find haven here until our eagles once again traverse this land.

Look to hear from us ere the passing of one day from the arrival of this message and know then the dispositions of our armies, provinces and the great offices of state which we will desire your Senate to fill. Until then, remember the geese and watch for the eagles . . .

Silence reigns and the notary retires quietly before the gaze of the Senators.

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Buteo grumbles.

"That is madness! In Ravenna we will be the lap-dog of the emperor! Ravenna may just as easily be the next prey of the Gothic hordes! To effectively take care of the Gothic danger we must either fight it here, before the walls of Rome, or we must mve our residence to a city outside of Italy, beyond a stretch of sea. Personally I would have preferred to go to Dalmatia or Africa, but our "Dominus" has deemed it wisest to tighten his leash on us by drawing us towards him... and towards our enemies..."
    Last edited by Gaius Julius Civilis; August 04, 2008 at 05:58 PM.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Senator it would appear that the Emperor has, in effect, made up our minds for us, as it were. However I shall adress your concerns nonetheless...

Ravenna is the Imperial capital, and it is therefore the best defended city we now have in Italy. The senate must not be constantly on the run, and holding ourselves up in the Eagles Nest would be infinitely more preferable to being chased about the Empire by barbarians.

ooc: I didn't actually know batavian was about to post that letter, so let's pretend mine never happened, okay
    Last edited by Winter; August 04, 2008 at 05:46 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Rhi Corrigan steps into the Curia. As always, he is a tall, dark and forbidding man. He is ragged and weary from his journey to Hibernia. He finally spoke, his Hibernian accent befuddling many who heard him.

I have been away for quite a while, and I have missed much. What is happening here in Rome?

Caius looks amicably at Titus

I for one, Titus, will not abandon Rome. I of course mean no disrespect to your good person, but it is simply something I cannot do.

Buteo, watch your toung and be greatefull if nobody tells the emperor and Ravenna is the safest place in the empire at this moment with the goths coming for us! I say we abandon the city and go to the emperor so that the emperor can mount a counter offencive against the enemies of the empire and restore Rome to it's former glory and take down the pretender in Constantinople !

OOC: ok for pepole that don't know rome hasn't been the most important city in the empire for more than 150 years, when the roman empire was making its last stand the goths seiged and plunndered rome 3 or four times yet the 10,000 strong roman army refused to surrender to the numericly and tacticly superior goths.
    also if I get voted to a civil office can i still qit that and get elected for a millatary office?
    Last edited by Lucius Aemilius Paulus Macedon; August 04, 2008 at 09:26 PM.
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."Sun-tzu
    Chinese general & military strategist (~400 BC`)

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

This is outrageous, leaving Rome, the home of tusands, the city of our forefathers.
    How could we call ourself Romans if the city itself is´t ours, how can we lett the city that where the source to our empire fall in the hands of Barbarians.

I will not accept this under any circumstance.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Senators, I understand your willingness to stay behind and brave the Goths, really I do. But what does this accomplish? How does this help the Empire? Senators, we must not allow our emotions to control us!

No one wants to let the eternal city fall. And yet it may fall! And what will become of us then? We will be relegated to the history books, and the sacking Goths depose and destroy all that is dear to us. Should the Senate refuse to leave Rome, they will be destroyed. This is fact. We must flee so that we may continue to function!

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

May then so be it, may the people of Rome see that some men in the senate stud fast until there death defending the city while the Emperor where sitting safety in Ravenna.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Senator, while I do understand your position, I feel the point is moot. The Emperor has mandated the senate retreat to Ravenna in the case of a Visigothic attack! Shall we choose these most dangerous times to betray the will of Augustus? I should say not...

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast