Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Imperial Palace, Dominate of Flavius Claudius Decimus (Ravenna) - *IBFD*

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Default Re: The Imperial Palace, Dominate of Flavius Claudius Decimus (Ravenna)

These are weighty questions and ones I am unable to answer yet in full. I promoted the Senator Castus to the military grade of Comes with orders to proceed to Hispania under the command of the Comes Hispaniarum. This will I hope allow the city of Corduba some respite from its ills and allow both commanders to work in concert against the Vandals and the Alans there. My Illyrian legions are massing along the Dalmatian coast awaiting transports to Italy and also marching north towards the frontier fortress of Sirmium to counter any threat along the Danube limes. As our coffers are empty we are unable to enlist new legions, auxilia or vexillations yet and must muster what we can from the standards. Our Magisters and Comites must rely upon what troops they have and not expect reinforcements soon. However, as Africa seems quiet it may be desirous to remove the front-line troops from there and ship them to the Gallic Diocese or to Hispania should the need arise but this I am loath to do.

ooc: I am waiting for the save to see what state it is all in before progressing the game.
    Last edited by SeniorBatavianHorse; August 09, 2008 at 11:44 PM.

Hail Emperor and Senators of Rome!

I have been working closely with Tiberius Maximus Fabius in the affairs of Africa, and I have sent this message to report what we have done.

I am pleased to report that only one brothel existed in all of Africa, and it has now been destroyed. No other buildings have been laid to waste.

As per your orders, we have not abandoned the limes. We have left one unit of milites in each lime, except for one.

We have decided to use this fort as a gathering point for our extra armies across Africa. Once gathered, we shall decide whether to send them to Spain against the Vandals, or south to fight the Berbers. Also from this map you will notice that Tingi's forces are about to be increased, and there are more coming.

From this map you can see all of the movement occuring here in Africa. lol Caesarea is having some rebellion issues, but we are certain that we shall hold the province.

Carthage and the last two limes are doing well. I have decided to set the taxes for each city on as high as possible without fear of revolt, in order to ease the strain on our coffers.

This may be our only true problem, besides the decreasing population in many cities. Harumetum is in rebellion. However, we have forces in route to hopefully settle the populace, and we feel that the city will not be leaving our control. Lepcis Magna is doing quite nicely.

If you ahve any questions for either of us, please send them to the palace in Carthage.

Regards,
    Tertius Julius Ursus

Indefinitely Banned

OOC: Ok thats wierd i havent given the save to anybody. that last AAR shouldnt have happened. Senior, log into xfire so i can give you the save alright? then you can give it to whoever needs it
    sorry for the confusion.

ooc: so how has Africa posted?

Indefinitely Banned

ooc: we had the save before lord stanton

Indefinitely Banned

OOC: OHHH i get you guys just posted after me =]] sorry. senior, can you please get on xfire so i can give it to you?

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

It is indeed a good thing to see that martial prowess does exist in these dark times and a toast to both our esteemed commanders and their men. I am intrigued to know when our Illyrian legions reach Italia and what our general has in store for Alaric. Is there much hope for outmanouvering the hordes in their current form with armies strewn across central Italy?
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Caius gestures to a scroll

My Lord, I have reviewed the scrolls, and as far as I can tell, the economy of the Empire is in a grievous state. Africa seems financially hopeless. Being a man heavily involved with trade and finances myself, I would like to impress upon you the importance of maintaining the economy and taking measures to stabilize it. I realize that you have much to accomplish, but I beseech you to look not only to military upgrades, but economic upgrades as well. Wealth is power and the precursor of a strong military. It should be among our foremost cares.

Scipio then steps down and begins conversing with a Greek Mathematician. The pair takes a seat and begin to figure

(ooc: what is our current treasury at?)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: I think it's around -20k by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

OOC: Yeah from my save, it's like -18600k

Ave Dominus,

The Italian Army under my command is fully equipped, fitted and ready to go to fight against the Visigoths. We are just waiting for your signal with the arrival of the Illyrian legions to proceed. Please send me a letter when the time is right to take to the offensive.

Marcus Appuleius Saturninus

Icon1 Re: The Imperial Palace, Dominate of Flavius Claudius Decimus (Ravenna)

Aetius Flavius Pannonicus enters the Palace with raised head, indiffirent to the glittering decorations and the pampered comfort of the dwelling.

"Call for my Great-Uncle. Tell him Aetius is here, and is in a big hurry." - he says to the janitor.

OOC: I don't understand why are there 2 threads for the imperial palace, one in the Rostra, one here?
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; August 10, 2008 at 05:57 AM.

OOC: Africa's financially hopeless my sorry butt.

ooc: one is for official palace/empire posting (this one) - you will my edicts and reports here - the other is my private space where Senators can come and talk in peace away from intrigue and such.

Valens
    Comes Domesticorum Peditum
    Illyria

To

Decimus Augustus Dominator

Greetings

As per you sacred orders, the legions and the auxilia have been assembled and are now marching in haste to the embarkation point at Lutullia on the Dalmatian coast. Words has reached us that the Praepositus Syagrius will be ready there with his Liburnian galleys and the transports. With fair weather, we expect to disembark on Italian soil with the passing of three months.

We march now through the Illyrian lands in a heavy weather but the men are in high spirits. They remember what it was to serve under you on the limes and how the iniquity of the previous emperor (whose name you have lawfully expunged from the records and the statues) lead our provinces into ruin and the tyranny of the barbarians. High we raised you on our shields to drape you in the purple and now we respond to your call with alacrity. Always these legions will defend and honour you and through you Rome. Let us haste and sail over these little seas and show Alaric what it is to face true Romans upon the field of battle.

In accordance with your wishes, the Comes Domesticorum Equitum and the remaining legions and auxillia, together with some vexillations of light cavalry, have garrisoned Sirmium to show the colonii and Senators there that even though the Huns and the Ostrogoths infest the barbaricum across the Danube, we stand here in strength.

Always, your right hand in war and peace,

Very good My Lord, I have faith that the regions are well manned. I must commend you, sir, you have done a wonderful job of shapening up the empire after the disastrous rule of your predecessor.

To the learned Senators and Comites and Prefects of my Consistory,
    from
    Flavius Claudius Decimus Augustus Dominator

It is my will that the arms and glory of the Roman Pax know no limit or limes and that our standards rise again from the dust of ignominy to the highest exaltation of glory. To that end, I present in detail the following edicts to each of you in turn that you may strive to do your utmost as you have vowed to do. Heed these words and stay true to your course as the arrow which seeks its mark in the targe.

To the Magister and the Prefect of the Italies,

Rome is free of the Gothic scourge. The barbarians under Alaric, knowing that it would be impossible to hold such a city, have left her denuded and ravaged like a goddess in the dust of defeat. Instead, bearing the treasures of the Eternal City in their crude wagons, they have marched south along the western coast of the Campanian lands towards Neapolis. I have ordered a small fleet of galleys under Majorianus to slip into the docks at Ostia and attend to such survivors as need succour. My hope is that some few brave Senators who survived the fury of the Goths may yet live and be rescued.

Do not engage with Alaric’s forces until the arrival of the Illyrian legions upon Italian soil under my personal commander of the Guard Infantry unless you possess overwhelming might. Once arrived and disembarked, I will personally join my legions and march on Rome. Together, we will enter the Eternal City and man its long walls. This must be our first directive, the destruction of Alaric and his barbarians will come second.

Secure and maintain the northern frontier beyond the Alps with the garrison troops. We must not be stabbed in the back by the Alemanni or forces of the usurper in Gaul attempting a long march down the Rhine and into the Agri Decumantes.

Assemble the garrisons in the cities south of Rome and look to their walls. Alaric comes.

Secure all possible relief to my subjects here in the Italies. Relieve and remit what taxes you can. All buildings deemed extraneous must be demolished and their resources poured back into our coffers until such time as we can again indulge in peace.

To the Magister and the Prefect of the Gauls

You are to consolidate Arelate and pacify its people with a harsh rod. Be it known by all my officers that any city or town which sides with the barbarians or a usurper is to be given no mercy or clemency. Towns or cities in revolt or independent of our rule however will be shown mercy and forgiven for I do not blame then for the laxity of the previous emperor - indeed, rebelling from him is a sign of probity. Thus Arelate fell to the spathas of the soldiers and suffered as it should.

Gain Narbo if you are able and open up a corridor into Hispania.

Advance north up the Liger valley towards Lugdunum and gather intelligence on the usurper’s forces in the region. Prepare for an advance in column within the year should his forces seem weak and disorganised. With the capture of Lugdunum, we possess a spear tip which may strike anywhere within the Gauls.

Advise all fleets and galleys west of the Italies to repair to Arelate to aid your advance along the southern coast and to blockade Narbo if necessary.

To the Comes Hispaniarum and the Vicarius of Hispania

Secure Carthago Nova in the wake of the siege and harass and pursue the retiring Vandal and Alan forces if deemed prudent. No mercy is to shown. One does not allow a wounded lion to escape lest it return. Advance to Corduba and bring relief to the Comes there only if such action does not expose Carthago Nova to further danger. We must maintain a bridgehead in the peninsula at all costs and to that end Corduba is expendable.

The Comes Africa and Vicarius of Africa

Assemble a field army in preparation for a march west to the pillars of Hercules. Appoint a Comes whom you deem worthy to command this force from among our learned Senators. I trust in your judgement.

Maintain the limes. Hold the castra.

Your remaining field army units are to be used to protect Africa from nomad incursions and strengthen the towns. Look to your taxes and revenues and do what you can. I know that I ask the impossible - in time when the treasury can permit, relief will come. Until then, be strong.

Now to a personal matter

Word has reached my ears that a small mixed cohort of light limitanei - the II Nervian Cohort - based at Portus Epatiaci on the Upper Rhine has been cut off by the usurpers forces and now besieged by Frankish barbarians. They will not survive long for they are surrounded by Franks and the troops of the rebel Roman on all sides. This cohort holds a special place in my heart for it was with these men that I first enlisted into the army of Rome and I would deem it a matter of the highest appreciation should some worthy Senator hasten to this remote locale and lead these men to safety through the lines of the enemy. Who will help these men break out and guide them back to Roman soil? Be warned, though, this is no easy task and death sits easily upon every branch. Know that he who does step forward may grasp at the ultimate prize should I be so moved. In aid the best of my agents is now sliding in secret among the trees and groves near the river port in readiness to aid you in every way possible.

Our treasury seeps little by little like water from a barrel into a desert yet our efforts to curtail have brought some small relief. We must strive harder to quell the monies spent on troops no longer needed and manage our cities so that trade thrives in these dark times. I commend you all on your work so far. Together we will steer this ship of state into calm waters, of that I have no doubt!

Our embassies report the following treaties and alliances:

Hail Rome!

Sir, is it possible that we may ask our brethren in the east for aid?

I will consult with the Comes Officiorum on this matter but the Augustus was the cousin of him who previously sat upon this throne and I remain cautious of his help.

Aetius, forgive me, with affairs of state and dispatches arriving with every moment I breathe, I find little time for myself. What news?

Indefinitely Banned

A note arrives, bearing Rhi Corrigan's seal.

Seeing as the Eternal City is back under Imperial control, when will the Curia be reopened so that I may visit my fellow senators?