Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Imperial Palace, Dominate of Flavius Claudius Decimus (Ravenna) - *IBFD*

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: The Imperial Palace, Dominate of Flavius Claudius Decimus (Ravenna)

well i am off to africa, to take my place while i'm gone is my son, he has the same name as me. so you won't forget his name goodbye my fellow senators

Winter's Avatar Civitate

It was nearly a month since Magister Constantinus had left for Gaul when a scruffy messenger burst into the imperial palace. He quickly composed himself, approached the Emperor, and shouted with joy "The Usurper is dead!"

Gasps of amazement echoed from the chamber as the emperor removed a scroll from his pack

"These being the words of Magister Equitum Titus Aurelius Constantinus Felix!"

Dominus, I have struck the first blow in our retaliation against the Usurper, and what a blow it was. The Usurper Constantine now lies dead, and his great city of Arelate has been restored to Rome! I will start from the begining.

As soon as I arrived in Gaul I ordered our main legion to besiege the city. I was hoping to draw the coward Constantine into a sally against my superior troops. However, he would not abandon his fortress, and so I was forced to make the first move.

Day and night for a week we bombarded the city with our onagers. We could see the buildings burning behind the walls, and we know now that we decimated a great deal of the usurper's army with our firepots.

Finally on the seventh day I ordered the onager crews to breach the walls. It took nearly six hours, but eventually the great stone walls finally fell. It was then down to the Comitatenses to do the heavy fighting. I sent them in through the breaches to meet the legion of Constantine.

The Usurper's troops were horribly weakened by the bombardment and their morale had suffered greatly. However they were able to put up a truly great fight, and I salute their ability as soldiers. Eventually, however, the rout began.

I next ordered my cavalry in to chase the routers down. They were able to destroy almost all the soldiers as they ran terrified to the city square. It was there that Constantine waited for us.

My cavalry and infantry officers tell me that Constantine stayed away from the main battle, avoiding our troops at all cost. Eventually, however, the Usurper was chased down by a detachment of Clibinarii and a mace was taken to his head.

I ordered my troops to loot the city, though it was painful for me to order the deaths and robbing of fellow Romans. However, the denarii looted will go a long way to repairing our national debt, and I think in that way it was worth it.

And so Arelate is captured, and the capital of the Gallic diocese is restored. I have already ordered my lower generals to head to Narbo with our cavalry army and besige it. As soon as I can get Arelate functioning I will strike north into the heart of the Usurper's empire. It is said the generals of Constantine have named a new leader, and it will be his head that I will hunt for next.

We have a long road ahead of us, but if we persevere we will achieve victory.

Magister Militum and loyal servant of Augustus,

T. Au. Constantinus Felix

The messenger finished his recitation and moved to the side of the chamber, the area reserved for servants of the Emperor.

ooc: I missed the results scroll, please forgive me

Also if your wondering why I was able to take the city with such ridiculously low casualties, thank the AI's idiotic pathfinding. They had almost 3/4th of their army stuck in a street near the wall I was assaulting, so instead of fighting them head on, I just bombarded them with the Onagers, destroying nearly all of them

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Bran, you will not interfere in the civil running of the Diocese until a vicarius is appointed. Military and civil rule was kept apart to maintain order and not allow any one man too much power in the empire. I will not jeopardize that principle of my ancestors. Until such time as a vicarius is appointed my own notaries will administer the cities and provinces of Hispania, such as they are! Good Fortune on your travels and may you outface the Vandals with cunning and bravery!

Magister, see to the northen passes and bide your time until my Illyrian legions have arrived we will then mount a 'forfex' or pincer attack upon the Goths and Rome. Move your troops into readiness - I have already fortified your main field army with heavy cavalry vexillations from Mediolanum and Ravenna. Use them wisely.

(ooc: Winter has it.)
    Last edited by SeniorBatavianHorse; August 08, 2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelling as usual

The emperor assembles the Senate and his Consistory in the main atrium of the palace and does the honour of reading out the scroll himself. For a moment, hard military pride fills his features and he is seen to smile mirthlessly.

He takes a step forward and addressed the Senators -

Conscript Fathers,
    One of your own has struck down a wretched tyrant and usurper without mercy. Magister Equitum Titus Aurelius Constantinus Felix has raised high the eagles and vexilli of Rome and once again our legionaries march on Gallic soil. This is a proud day for the empire. I will commission a statue in his honour to be placed in the Forum of Rome once it is re-taken.

I look to Hispania for equally good news!

(ooc: ooh, lovely money!)

This is most splendid indeed! This victory allows the Magister to quickly move on to capture more territory and relieve the monetarial burden on our cities.
    Dominus, I have taken a look at the Agentae available to me, and of course I eagerly await the times when I can send them through the full Empire, untill then I shall wait and pray for your victories here.

OOC: I am going to format my pc probably this week, I haven't installed IBFD yet since this pc is crappy. So if you want to have certain things done you might want to do them yourself or let me know then I'll propose them for the sake of RP!
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

It would please me, Comes Officiorum, if you might list which agents you wish to employ when the state's finances are capable of recruiting and where you wish them to be sent?

I am a firm supporter of having as much information before a battle happens, so my first priority would be establishing information networks both Roman and local.
    This will aid the Limes in recognizing approaching threaths and taking appropriate action, it will also allow us to make priority strikes where and when needed if multiple breaches of the Limes happen.
    Also, if we have Agentae in the other lands it will allow us to determine where our best prospects are both military and diplomatically.
    Military for the greatest threats that we need to watch, and where we can strike the best.
    Diplomatically for the best allies and those who will likely conspire against us.
    Those schooled in the arts of diplomacy are neccesary but not in great amounts, I would say that one such group per large area, Hispania, Gaul, North-East of Italy, is enough to maintain relations with all the foreign nations.
    Combined with the assorted spies this will allows to quickly move them were needed.
    Men schooled in the art of murder have always been a double-edged sword so to speak.
    Training and maintaining them is costly, but if they are needed we will feel it if we don't have them.

For information I would like to send out men to Hispania and towards the north-east of Italy. Hispania, to determine the threat of the Vandals and how the Magister Equitem can best move there, and the north-east of Italy to determine the strengths of the Goths and the Huns.
    If possible I would like to recruite another spy first, and after that either another spy if needed or an assasin if a spy is not needed.

I believe that further plans are not possible to be made.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Imperator,

I come as a senator without station, only my social status.

However, if you would consider the words of so humble a man, Spain can hold. I have no doubt that once, if it is possible, the Vandals are beaten back from Corduba and New Carthage, they will have to resist sending any forays into Roman Hispania for some time. This will buy us time we need for the Magister of Gaul to base all efforts there.

My concern is that should Corduba fall, we lose our gateway (over the mainland) to North Africa. The last bastion of Roman power in western Spain will allow the Vandals a new base, a new population pool, and Tigli becomes untenable.

What next? Iol Caesarea? Carthage? If we start losing ground in west Africa, the Berbers may make a move on our southern frontiers.

Then you must look at the Gallic campaign. If Narbo is taken, yet New Carthage and Corduba fall, we are now allowing the Vandals access to Gaul and North Africa. This may undermine our campaign against the usurper's followers.

Last, I would reckon on the fact that the Franks and Burgundii will cause more problems for us than we can deal with. Thus, we should allow the divisionist dogs to keep their northernmost settlements. We should not hasten their fall. This will provide us a buffer zone we can use to buy time and rebuild our economy before we have the next barbarian hordes to deal with.

I am and remain the most humble servant of Rome and her inspired leadership,

Marcus Hortensius Castus

Yes, I hate the fact RTW is out and I still have a Japanese title. Come on now admins- let's get with the program.

Iulianus stands his face grim...

Conscript fathers! I have recently been appointed Praetorian Prefect by our glorius Imperator! I will now depart for my Diocese.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Another message is sent to the palace.

Hail Emperor and Senators of Rome!

As I write I am about to disembark onto African soil. I have discussed some plans with Tiberius Maximus Fabius via message, and here is what we have come up with.

All brothels shall be destroyed as well as smaller churches, though it pains me. If I find any other small and useless buildings I shall send a message to you asking for leave to destroy them as well.

Now the trickier part. We wish to evacuate the limes guarding our borders with the Berbers. I understand if you are shocked by this proposal, but here me out. We have forst scattered across the area, too far apart to help one another. They are all undermanned. The Berbers, while our enemies, are weak, and cannot defeat us when we have a well sized force, but allowing them to attack the limes one at a time will prove fatal. We wish to move the soldier out of the limes and form two groups. The first group shall be sent to fortify our African cities. We will be able to defend against the berbers there than at the limes far apart from each other. The second group, which hopefully shall be the larger one, will move towards Spain, where it will provide support against the vandals, who are a more important threat to deal with than the Berbers. Should you ahve any concerns about this plans, and I'm sure you will, send them to my villa in carthage, where I shall be staying during my governorship.

Regards,
    Tertius Julius Ursus

Caius arrives on horseback accompanied by his manservant Metellus. Metellus takes the horses to the stable boy and Caius continues up the steps.

Friends, Emperor, I am sorry for my absence! I had to journey around the tip of Italy to get here and I apologize for my absence. I'm afraid I cannot offer my services to the Empire at this point, however.

(ooc: yeah, I'm sorry for this but for some reason this mod refuses to install properly on my computer. I'm working on it and hopefully I can get it to work.)

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

"Emperor, Senators,

I bid you farewell as I am leaving to attend to my farm, I will be unreachable during this time. But I will be back in three days and report back here."

(OOC, I am going away so I had to make my character go away also.)

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

Kingzilla's Avatar Campidoctor

OOC-how many days before next elections?
    The best way to keep one's word is not to give it.

-Napolean Bonaparte

Comes Officiorum,

I agree regarding your thoughts about Hispania and the provinces north and east of the Italies regarding the Huns and the Goths. Your Areani and the ambassadors will be dispatched accordingly.

I have also sent you private epistles regarding your office which will reach you in due course and are to be revealed to no one. This is most important. Know that your office is close to my heart.

As our treasury fills so too will your office.

Decimus, Augustus.

I thank you Dominus, I am here to serve you in any way I can.
    And I would like to change one thing in the order of future recruitment, I have taken a second look at the Agentae and noticed that we have only one active information network.
    Depending on active threats we might need as many as four, perhaps that three are enough, to secure our borders.
    This of course when the treasury allows it.
    And I shall await your epistles and carry out whatever task you have lain before me.

The emperor recognizes the Senator Castus as an old friend and embraces him warmly.

I am glad you survived the sack of Rome. I feared the worst when I did not hear from you these last weeks.

As usual you speak wise words indeed. It is proper that the northern tracts of Gaul act as a buffer between us and the ravages of the Franks and the Burgundians but in time our armies must advance and finish off the usurper's forces once and for all. Timing will be critical. I have complete faith in my Magister Militum for the Gallic lands.

In recognition of your services to me in the past I wish to offer you the post of Comes rei Militaris under the command of the Comes Hispaniarum, now overseeing the siege of New Carthage. If you wish it so report to him with all haste and do his bidding as he sees fit. Know that my thoughst remain with you always despite the hardship I am sending you into. Look to the Comes Hispaniarum for leadership - he will guide you well.

Caius,

When you are ready, the Emperor will welcome you with open arms.

ooc: sorry to hear about the continuing problems!

Kingzilla's Avatar Campidoctor

Romulus' horse trots into the stables and walks into the Imperial Palace.

"Hail Emperor"
    The best way to keep one's word is not to give it.

-Napolean Bonaparte

Marcianus walks into the Senate house and frowns. He didn't like Senators the so called "nobility"...

Noble Imperator may I ask what our next move shall be.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Oppius stands amazed at the behaviour of this new senator towards the Dominus.
    "Senator, know that the Dominus requires more than greetings. Please explain who you are and make your oaths of allegiance as required.
    We are in a state of war, and information of all things is required, even on your identity."

Oppius moves adresses Senator Marcianus' question as the Dominus is busy elsewhere.

"The Dominus has shown his plans. The Magister of Gaul has taken the rebel capital, and is moving forces west so a connection can be made with Hispania.
    The Magister of Italy is mustering forces that will join with the Illyrian Legions, who will be commanded by the Dominus himself, praise be to God.
    The Dominus wishes to rid Italy of the Goths as soon as possible."

OOC: Just so you know, this is IC and part of the game .
    Last edited by Selifator; August 08, 2008 at 10:53 AM.