Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Imperial Palace, Dominate of Flavius Claudius Decimus (Ravenna) - *IBFD*

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: The Imperial Palace, Dominate of Flavius Claudius Decimus (Ravenna)

"Senators I believe we only have two diplomats at our dispossal, possibly a third. You know my opinion on who to send them but whatever the outcome and to whoever we send them I hope they are quick to act and that they ride fast so they can accomplish their missions, I say God speed to them all and hope they are successful."
    Last edited by -Aquila-; August 06, 2008 at 05:31 PM.

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

Indefinitely Banned

A good point my friend. Then the Allemani seem to be a good start. We shall have to speak to the Dominus of it.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

The Augustus assembles the Senators in the main hall and looks each one squarely in the eye.

You have spoken wisely and after my own heart. I did not wish to divulge this to you but I see that keen eyes miss naught. Know then that wise men have sought out the hearths and kings of the Alemanni in order to secure peace along the limes north of the Alps. These barbarians proved stubborn in their intransigence and rebuffed our embassies -

(OOC: forgot to capture the Alemanni response but it didn't leave much to the imagination.)

I also ordered similar embassies to the Vandals in Hispania -

Know that the Huns remain neutral beyond out Illyrian borders but that we do not place much faith in their assurances. As some of you have warned, we move our legions from there at our peril yet move them we must. Friends we lack, allies we miss, companions we need.

As for the Franks, this marks a wise proposition and still do I lack a Magister Officiorum who will strategise these issues and also manipulate strings in the barbaricum. Will none of you, learned Senators, step forward and grasp the shadowy rods of state which may prove stronger than all armies and governors together?

Indefinitely Banned

These dealings are none too good. May I suggest trying to send in the largest amount of soldiers we can spare to Spain? I have noticed that many a time the enemy who will not agree to a ceasefire is often swayed when he loses some land battles or a city. In this case, it would be a land battle, seeing as there is nothing to siege.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I disagree. I would think that the most logical source of soldiers to send to Hispania would be the Gallic armies fighting the Usurper. However sending any of these armies away when the Usurper is at his strongest point in a long time could easily have disastrous consequences on the Gallic campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

Gnaeus emerges from the crowd.

"Why not just leave Hispania to its defenses? It would be a pity if the mines in the region are lost, that's certain, but we cannot spare any of our soldiers. Until we are able to send relief, the next Comes and the remaining auxilia and comites should have to fend for themselves.

Such a policy would be frowned upon normally, but these are not normal times."
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Well it seems I will be the new Magister Militum for that theater, so I will try to figure relief for Hispania into my strategy. However, at this point fighting the Usurper will be the main priority of the Gallic armies.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Lvcivs stumbled throuhg the gates. He was tall, much too tall for a Roman. He was a descended from the tribes of Brittania and adopted by Pvblivs Cornelivs Italicvs as a boy and today on his 28th birthday hurried from a boat into the makeshift senate.

Today we hang our heads.

We abandon our home. This may be our capital, and yes Rome may be inconsequential for money, power and military. But is it not then OUR home. Since Aeneas of troy fled across the sea great warriors have fought and died for her. Was their blood spilt in vain? Is the toil and labour of millions of men to be washed away by mere thousands?!

We must forget Hispania. It is not our Home. Rome is our only home. We are not the Hispanics, nor the Gauls nor the Britons or Illyrians but Romans! Hispania should be abandoned and all it's wealth plundered so that the hoards may not have access to it. The men should be pulled back. The only priority is Rome!

As for our pathetic grovelling to our foes, I am disgusted that any esteemed man would suggest such a thing bereft of honour and decency. What message do we send other than that we are weak. You make a grave mistake for thinking them idiots. Unschooled and unlearned they are; but of as greater intelligence as any Roman. No peace until they are defeated or made to submit to peace rather than offered a tribute to stay away.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Senator we all know the loss of Rome is a travesty. And I am certain that our Emperor and Magister Peditum will work tirelessly to defeat the Visigoths and retake Roma. However we must not forget our other conflicts! We cannot loose our Empire to gain a single city, no matter our feelings towards it.

There are times when a man must surrender his pride to survive. This is one of those unfortunate circumstances. We must surrender Roma so that we may defeat our foes. We must find peace and allies so that our borders can find momentary peace. It is not dishonorable to ensure the survival of our empire!

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

"'Our' home would have been lost anyway, boy, and you should have already known that yourself. How can the few hundred criminals, freedmen, and mad Senators who defended the city defeat the horde of Alaric -- the King of the Visigoths? To accomplish such a task would require the manpower of our Dominus' legions, and they are still in Illyria. Pulling back and regrouping, like our Imperator suggested, was the best option.

Rome will be retaken when we are ready to retake it."
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

It would not be dishonourable to ensure the survival of the empire, but look at your precious maps!

now lets see, Britannia, throws away

Gaul, throws away

Hispania, throws away

and now of all these lands Rome! tears in two in front of a distraught scribe then turns to face the fellow senators.

These bits of paper are what we fight for. It's all we have left. We have not pride nor honour anymore. They died when Rome burned. Was the empire built on the backs of a proud and honourable people spreading wealth, power and knowledge; or a shivering corpse holding out it's neck begging for death?

The empire is gone. It cannot be saved!

And yet, it can be rebuilt.

But how can we if you all pretend that our legions reign supreme on the land and ignore the maps of the modern world. The empire is gone and all we have is it's dying embers. But by blood sweat and conviction a new fire may burn from those embers, and from that kindling a raging flame may spew forth with pride and honour and beckon a new empire.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Senator you will calm yourself in this sacred palace! You are lucky the Dominus is not here to see your shameful display!

You would have us tear down our ancient Empire, and rebuild with what exactly? You would leave our borders open to barbarian assault! You would leave a Usurper to the Imperial Throne to reign free in Gallia! You would have us abandon all that makes up our empire!

I say to you, senator, that if you have so little faith in your emperor and your senate, then you should hop the first ship to Constantinople, because you clearly have naught but tantrums and rants to add to this debate!

A letter arrives in the midst of the council bearing news of the movements of Caius Scipio.

Dark tidings indeed, Senators, Rome is lost. I myself have safely traveled to Tarentum in the south by means of boat. I have hired a contingent of men to look after me in this time of trouble. Even here in the south the enemy seems to have scouts amongst us. I look for an opportune time to join the senate in Ravenna but I'm afraid the boat has several leaks and the roads are in such a state that for a senator to walk abroad without a century of men about him is suicide.

That being said, I also offer words of hope. I have spoken with the generals here and while I can't say the men are in high spirits, they have a sense of purpose about them. They are as sure of their course as I have ever seen men of battle be. We will retake Rome from these barbarians. Their stay in Italy is about to be cut drastically short.

Best wishes;

Caius Scipio

Iulianus stands for the first time...

Senators! I would like to propose this... that we abandon Spain and move all legions back to Italy! We MUST take Rome! We are Romans not Ravennans! WE MUST!! I move we leave all lands and focus on keeping Italy!
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Winter's Avatar Civitate

It is sheer madness to think the Hispanian legions would be any sort of help in reclaiming Rome. They are months away, let alone under siege! To abandon Hispania, or any other province, would be to abandon it permanently. We would not see the return of that province if we allow the Vandals to take it without a fight.

Also, do you really think the Vandals would stop at Hispania? If we surrender Hispania what is to stop the Vandal king from crossing to Africa at the Pillars of Hercules? That province is the lightest defended of all! It would surely be lost!

To abandon Hispania would be inviting further disaster, and I will not back such folly.

Indeed, Hispania has always been a source of money and trade goods.
    What I believe is the only approach possible is liberating the Empire one region at a time. Begin in Rome, then move to the Usurper, Hispania and then to the borders.
    We must act carefully if we are to survive. History can be made, but not by the dead, only the living. We must be wise in our actions.
    So I shall ask again, is it a wise plan to put the Foederati in front of the Roman Legions? Or shall we throw away soldiers who might best be sacrificed for our greater good?
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Selifator View Post

So I shall ask again, is it a wise plan to put the Foederati in front of the Roman Legions? Or shall we throw away soldiers who might best be sacrificed for our greater good?
    All soldiers have a role to play. I would not think that sending soldiers in as sword fodder would be a good idea when we have to money or resources to raise more. We should instead employ conservative strategies that bring us out of battles with a minimum of losses of men and material.
    Last edited by Winter; August 07, 2008 at 12:47 AM.

Yes, but the Emperor has show his wish to remove the Foederati from the Legions. There are two ways we can do this.
    1. We disband them and take the risk that they will join the barbarian hordes either as allied tribes or as mercenaries.
    2. We use them as an army of their own, so that they might bring us victory or buy us time to bring in the Legions.
    I agree that conservative tactics are best, and every man that falls is a great loss. I am not a Comes or Magister, so if any of them would have ideas on how to resolve this situation, it would be most welcome.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

The Emperor enters the council chamber now standing in the the curia in Rome. Incense wreathes the columns and in the distance faint hymns can be heard praising Christ. Unusually, it can be noted that Haruspices and Etruscan soothsayers attend him with bloodied hands.

He ponders the torn fragment of maps upon the marble floor -

Reverend Fathers,

you contend and debate as once the Senate did before Caesar and Octavian but know that you talk about what is mine and mine alone. Do not forget this. Do not forget also that when you rip apart a map you are abandoning my people and my land. This is hubris speaking, nothing more. I will not surrender another acre of Roman territory which our ancestors fought so hard to win and maintain with their own blood. The previous emperor was a weakling surrounded by dogs who licked his hands. I am a wolf and require fellow wolves - Roman wolves - to hunt with me.

Know that I will personally lead my Illyrian legions to retake Rome and install this Senate again in the curia. No Roman emperor has visited the Eternal City for over half a century (OOC: Constantius II was the last Augustus to actually visit Rome, holding a triumph there) and I will tread the Capitoline and personally consecrate the Senate House in the old ways. Know also that once Rome has been taken I will make it my capitol as a symbol of this rebirth and from it I will dispatch my legions and eagles to secure our boders with the blessing of the Senate Fathers.

We are in a perilous state but we must remain firm and seize the conviction which allowed our ancestors to stride the world. Rome has fallen before and she will fall again - but we will not. I have spoken.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I hope this settles the quibbles from my fellow senators about our Emperor's willingness to retake our eternal city.

Titus turns to the Emperor

Dominus, as the newly elected magister militum for Gaul, I will, with your leave of course, be departing shortly for the front. However, before I go, I must urge you to reconsider the disbanding of the Foederati.

Instead of throwing away valuable, though not elite, soldiers, we should use them to fill the gaps in our lines left by units that are depleted from battle. That way the units could be rotated away from a combat zone and be allowed to rest mid battle while the foederati holds the line.

There is a matter of logistics to consider as well. The massive influx of new citizenry into our cities from the disbanding of foederati would cause severe unrest in some parts of the empire. In a way it may be safer to keep them.

If course we will accept any decision Augustus would wish to make...
    Last edited by Winter; August 07, 2008 at 01:01 AM.