Thread: How do bridges work.

Default How do bridges work.

Firstly this is a battlemap not campaign map question.

I'm trying to make an osgiliath map which so far has gone really well (all the buildings are there and the pathfinding works fine). My only problem now is that the river which is compulsory and is currently causing problems. The bridges i've created dont work and mess up the AI pathfinding which is really annoying as i can travel anywhere on one side of the river but crossing the river is really hard (you have to move the units metre by metre across the bridges).

If anyone knows a work around for bridges or how to get proper bridges in the game please.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: How do bridges work.

Only thing I can think of is try to open the battle editor on a tile with a bridge (i.e. so you're looking at a bridge battle site) and see if you can figure out how it works from that. I know it's not super useful but . . .
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

I did that in the beginning of development but I could only really find tiles that had fords. Anyone else know about this.

Have you tried to use ford tiles and then put the bridge across?
    Die spam Die!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Although I have not looked into it much I believe bridges do not appear on battlemaps - they are always fords.

I've never needed a bridge, but I have needed to do things to crossings and still make units cross correctly. My way around this was to use the can_swim ability for units which is what I did in the Isen Fords HB for FATW. Otherwise they get stuck.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Oooops. Sorry to bother you people. I just realised how the AI was getting confused. There was a real river underneath the settlement plan that I then dropped in with a "fake" river in it. The game was obviously getting confused with the hidden river underneath and I could only cross it at certain points - not the ones my bridges were over. Its basically fixed. Thanks for the help though - your comments on rivers triggered me to realise my stupidity.

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

Do we get to see your working Osgiliath then?