Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Alan Caganate

Default Re: The Alan Caganate

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    Ah, the burden of selecting factions...

I personally would be rather sad to see the Armenians go, especially since their units are very nice. And when it comes to the aspect of just having historically 100% correct factions, we have to make compromises. The Romano-Brits and the Picts/Gaels shold be the first to go if we only applied that way of thinking. The Mauri can also be debated, of course. But then there's balancing and game play. I personally believe that offering the player a good and interesting variation of factions to chose from is just as important as sticking to the ambition of historical accuracy.

How about this:

1. Keep the Armenians as a faction and

2. Make Orthanner's "Alan Caganate" ( great job, by the way! ) an optional install.

Or

1. Replace the Armenians with the Alans but keep the Armenian units we have as AOR and mercenaries. That way we can offer the player a "RPG experience", for example: when playing as the Romans or the Sassanids, you can send a general to conquer the Armenian lands. When completed, the general will get a "King of Armenia" title ( ancillary ) and will rule Armenia as a subject with the backings of Rome or Persia.

Both of these are wonderful ideas.I think we can have both of them.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Well IJ will still have the Armenians, plus I will include the Indian Guptas at the expense of the Romano British, so what i am saying is that amongst the 3 mods there should be enough variations to cover. personally i would keep the Romano British for IBRR since the starting time reflects the rise of this faction.

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I would prefer that what needs less work to include in V8

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    I would prefer that what needs less work to include in V8
    at least ye got pretty looking savaran, so don't complain.

besides, I'm sure the Guptas will be a good experiance to work on.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Gen.jamesWolfe View Post
    at least ye got pretty looking savaran, so don't complain.
    Aye, because I made them

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

"Caganate" is a turkic word, so it can't be the name of alanian faction, because alans were iranian. The right name will be "Alania". That is the name of alanian state in byzantine chronicles.
    About religion. Christianity was set as a state religion of Alania only in 916 AD. Before that, most alans were pagans, but there have been some christians among them. I think, alanian faction should have both religions.
    And about the map. Alania was located to the north from Caucasus Mountains.

Orthanner's Avatar Miles

Ironman, I agree with you for the most of the moments you've pointed. I re-checked the sources I have and I just could not see WHY I have chosen this name. The right name will be either Alania or Askhanat (yet Askhanat was more ancient form, so "Alania" is preferrable). But the true question is not the name of the faction but the title of the faction leader... Some chronicles say "baghatar" while the most use just the term "king".
    On the religion, the faction has both options to choose from, doesn't it?

And about the map. Alania was located to the north from Caucasus Mountains.
    You are right. I could not alter the map, so the only way to reflect this was to set victory conditions. But when creating a new map, the Alanian settlements should be pointed. I am deadly busy with RL so I have no time now to translate the map I have. I hope I will be able to have finished it by the 20th of December.

Updated.
    Altered text files in order to remove all mentionings of "caganate" (thanks to Ironman).

BUG: CTD at the end of the first turn when playing as the Sassanids. Currently I am unable to catch the problem.
    Last edited by Orthanner; December 18, 2008 at 02:30 AM.
    RTR VII Team member/Sarmatae archaeologist

Orthanner's Avatar Miles

Updated the add-on. Thanks to Quinn Inuit for the ideas to make the Sassanids harder to play.

1) Fixed CTD after the first turn when playing as Sassanids.
    2) Optimized unit stack
    3) Increased the upkeep of the Sassanian elite cav.
    4) Removed the ability to recruit ground-level units from both Sassanian and Alanian building trees.

Download link. (fixed)
    Last edited by Orthanner; February 16, 2009 at 07:23 PM.

Just out of curiosity, this IBFD_tar mod, it overwrites the original IBFD files, that i can understand from the first post.

My question is, when you start IBFD_tar, do you get to play with all the factions, or is Alani the only playable faction?

Because if you merely replaced another faction (like the Hephtalites) with the Alani, then I'll merely install this over IBFD, rather than waste space by duplicating the entire IBFD folder and installing this in the duplicate folder...

Orthanner's Avatar Miles

I have replaced Armenia (which did not exist as a separate state at that time) with the Alani leaving everything else "as is". However, you won't be able to install it over IBFD without editing DMB and DMS (and probably some other files, I don't remember) to keep correct paths.

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Default Alans...mini mod with7.03

Does the Alan Kaganate mini mod worl with7.03? (with soundmod revelutions ) Thanks.

Signature made by Joar

Default Re: Alans...mini mod with7.03

I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea, but you could try and contact Orthanner, the creator of the mini-mod, and ask him. He's still around, I believe.

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Alans...mini mod with7.03

Cheers will do

Signature made by Joar

Prince of Judah's Avatar Senator

It says "error loading mount database". It ctd's on start.

descr_mount.txt, at line 132, column 1.

'light horse cataphract' battle model is missing.

The issue seems to go on and on for many units. When I grey one out its another set of lines.
    Last edited by Prince of Judah; February 14, 2012 at 08:47 PM.

Orthanner's Avatar Miles

H'm... I thought I'd fixed this...
    I'll dig through descr_mount and DMB then.

Alucard31's Avatar Tiro

Hi Folks!

Are there any news about this mod? Is it safe enough to play? I ask because I'm thinking of playing with IBFD recently. And for me, it would be a bit odd to have "Persarmenians" around (yeah, I know, that's a bit snob, but historical accuracy is important for a wanna-be historician ).

Orthanner's Avatar Miles

Well... I seem to have abandoned the mod some time ago. Don't know if it is usable with current IBFD version. The last time I tried to adopt it the Sassies became unplayable...

Hello guys. The fixed dl site ( http://orthenner-9.narod.ru/ ) doesn't work for me. It leads me to yandex and i'm confused

Orthanner's Avatar Miles

This is fine, click the link entitled "Invasio Barbarorum: The Alan Reconquest".

Error

Page not found
    BACK

The page does not seem to exist!

You can try one of the following:
    • - go back to the website home page;
    • - check the spelling of the entered address in the address bar;
    • - use the Web search and find what you were looking for:

It gives me this. So i can't download :/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast