Thread: newbie questions about SS and other mods

Default newbie questions about SS and other mods

Hi all

I played RTW for a few weeks and now decided to check out Medieval II

Now, the vanilla AI in RTW was way not challenging enough, so I thought I'd check out the mods for Medieval II right away.

From the look of things, SS seems to be the best choice for me, but, now I look around and I see all these other mods, like Lusted's AI mods etc, and I get this "damn, when can I start playing a great game already"-feeling.

So, could anyone give a comprehensive list of mods they use with SS? Also, I miss concise explanations what some mods actually do. Does Crimson just add blood? What does Total Combat do? And, is there a guide for first-time users of SS, so I don't get caught off-guard with content and /or changes that are naturally not explained in the official manual?

Finally, what I personally would really be interested in is a mod that splits the HRE into the different German nations it historically consisted of. Bugs me a bit, because as far as I know, the HRE never acted as a homogeneous political entity, quite the contrary, in fact. Of course, such a mod would need to be compatible with SS 6.1 since that's the base mod I intend to play.

Thanks a lot for your time

Cheers
    Last edited by areki38; August 01, 2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typos

knight of virtue and valor's Avatar Praefectus
    In the nightmares of my foes (bakersfield, CALI, allright)

Default Re: newbie questions about SS and other mods

Quote Originally Posted by areki38 View Post
    Hi all

I played RTW for a few weeks and now decided to check out Medieval II

Now, the vanilla AI in RTW was way not challenging enough, so I thought I'd check out the mods for Medieval II right away.

From the look of things, SS seems to be the best choice for me, but, now I look around and I see all these other mods, like Lusted's AI mods etc, and I get this "damn, when can I start playing a great game already"-feeling.

So, could anyone give a comprehensive list of mods they use with SS? Also, I miss concise explanations what some mods actually do. Does Crimson just add blood? What does Total Combat do? And, is there a guide for first-time users of SS, so I don't get caught off-guard with content and /or changes that are naturally not explained in the official manual?

Finally, what I personally would really be interested in is a mod that splits the HRE into the different German nations it historically consisted of. Bugs me a bit, because as far as I know, the HRE never acted as a homogeneous political entity, quite the contrary, in fact. Of course, such a mod would need to be compatible with SS 6.1 since that's the base mod I intend to play.

Thanks a lot for your time

Cheers
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=498 that answerers that part of your reqoust!
    "WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES! Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities...they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast." -Scholar Visari

areki38
    First off, welcome to SS.

1. RTW, there are two great mods for RTW that will enhance your experience RTR http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26, and EB http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31.

2. SS - I would play this through once first, just to see if it needs any mods. The sub forum is very active with players who have there own view/interests, and not all of these are compatible. It also depends on your style of play, are you a turtle or blitzkreig type, do you like AOR systems or not.

3. Some popular sub-mods are:
    RC is included in SS, but there is a sub mod RC+RR (Real Combat + Real Recruitment) which introduces an era recruitment system. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=162997
    BYGIII imposes limits on recruitment based on a limited number of your generals being in a War Council. Howver it does slow down turn times. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106060

Both of these are included in the installer (although you need to go to the sub-forums to get any latest patches).

4. HRE: Well I am afraid there is no such sub mod, although the main mod posted aboth is very good.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Great, thanks. Think I'll heed your advice and play SS like it is to start with. And maybe end up playing the HRE-mod after all. We'll see