Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Can We Hope To See In 3.3.4?

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default What Can We Hope To See In 3.3.4?

Title is self explanatory really.

I would like to see more factions. Dunno how many you can have but some asian ones along with a bigger map including Japan would be nice.

One thing that annoys me about RTR however is that it is all based upon Rome and Macedon... I thinks its time for other factions to have a stand. Londinum or Samarobriva should be able to become huge cities. Along with many other cities.

What would you like for christmas?
    Last edited by Lord Dakier; August 01, 2008 at 01:51 AM.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Default Re: What Can We Hope To See In 3.3.4?

ExRM has the maximum number of units supported by the RTW engine. It also has the maximum number of settlements supported by the RTW engine. You won't see any more of either in the foreseeable future.

There are some efforts in the works to damp the economic value of Greece and the Balkans. However, that will remain valuable real estate, meaning that whoever conquers it will become a substantial power. Rome will remain a major power, almost as if this is an Extended Realism mod.

I'd like to see some of the traditionally poorly played factions by the computer, for example, the Britons, the Germans, and the Sarmatians, to have some more bite to them and so they don't sit idle 90% of the time. I think those are being fixed though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateinshowing View Post
    I'd like to see some of the traditionally poorly played factions by the computer, for example, the Britons, the Germans, and the Sarmatians, to have some more bite to them and so they don't sit idle 90% of the time. I think those are being fixed though.
    I've made some suggestions to Quinn in this regard. I believe they are going to be in 3.3.4. 3.3.0 of ExRM was had major changes in game balance due to the changes in the economy and the cost to build and maintain units. It has taken time to observe the behavior of the AI and find good ways to kick start the 'stalled' factions.

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Sorry, can't make the map that much bigger, guys.

Jamey's correct about the changes we're making to help those factions. I spent an enormous amount of time testing 3.3.0 just to get it to function sensibly, and we're learning a great deal from every one of you who posts about how to make it work even better. Jamey's done a bunch of work playtesting some factions for 3.3.4, and I think the game is going to be a great deal stronger for it. I've taken almost every suggestion he's made, and it should really help the AI get its butt in gear.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Briton, Sarmaetions do both get slaughtered to be fair.

Briton should get knights lol.
    Sarmatons can only 'run and assualt' they dont hold their own ground... almost like Armenia but Kataphract are superior.

I don't think Briton had knights till the Middle Ages.

Naa they didnt have them till Romano Britain which was the days of 'King Arthur and his knights'

but they need better infantry they get slaughtered if they dont have enough dough for chariots.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dakier View Post
    Naa they didnt have them till Romano Britain which was the days of 'King Arthur and his knights'

but they need better infantry they get slaughtered if they dont have enough dough for chariots.
    I conquered Western Europe and then Rome with a primarily infantry army of Britons. I don't see a major problem with their units.

My problem is that once theyre matched against Legionnaires or Macedon pikemen they get analised... yes anal-ised. You have to rely on there not to be archers so your slingers can take them out while they slaughter your front line

My problem is that once theyre matched against Legionnaires or Macedon pikemen they get analised... yes anal-ised. You have to rely on there not to be archers so your slingers can take them out while they slaughter your front line
    No barbarian army should get into a frontal slugfest with a Roman or Macedonian army. By the time your main lines engage, you should be at least halfway to flanking the enemy army. It's a feature rather than a bug that barbarians get slaughtered in a slugfest with the civilized factions of the era.

Take advantage of your scary naked fanatics, once you have them wrapped around the enemys flanks they should be at least 'shaken'.

I found out that AFTER lol. Phalanx are too strong. Arrows bearly touch them in Platinum. The best thing ive notied to do is use numbers up front then a cavalry and chosen swordsmen on both flanks. You should see Armenia deal with Pontus Phalanx... its a nightmare!

ZealotsACH's Avatar Civis

Briton, Sarmaetions do both get slaughtered to be fair.
    in my campaign (im Rome), Briton is actually doing very well. it is about 250 BC and they just invaded Germania after taking control of all of Britain...

good... Ze Germans are defeated. All that is left are the guals then Briton shall rule the world mwahahahaha

I don't know why Japan would be added to this timeline. China I could see if it was able to be implemented, but not so much Japan. It would be interesting to see a mod that takes place during the conquest of Alexander that expands all the way to China, but I am not sure you can make a map that big as it wasn't until the Han dynasty that China expanded close to India.

ZealotsACH's Avatar Civis

i want the entire world on the map with every faction there was to be added also i'd like the timeline to span 280 BC to AD 2008 oh and can you up the troop amount allowed to something like 1000?

/sarcasm

i actually think its fine the way it is. maybe work out some bugs to just smooth out the edges.

Wien1938's Avatar Miles

Japan at this time was pretty primative. It's contact with China that transforms Japan into a civilised nation.

Quote Originally Posted by GJC View Post
    i want the entire world on the map with every faction there was to be added also i'd like the timeline to span 280 BC to AD 2008 oh and can you up the troop amount allowed to something like 1000?

That would be one hellishly grand campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanelme View Post
    That would be one hellishly grand campaign.
    Yeah. Something tells me that the hardcoded settlement limit will prevent us from ever implementing it using the RTW engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast