Thread: Removing allies (HOI2)

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Removing allies (HOI2)

For my campaign against the Soviet Union, I enlisted the aid of the United States (me being the head of the alliance). Now that I have vanquished that foe, my eye has turned to the land across the ocean. Is there any possible way that I can remove the US from my list of allies so that I can declare war on them? I'm getting sick of warring with South America.

Default Re: Removing allies (HOI2)

Well, as you're the head of the alliance, it should be rather easy. Simply go to the diplomacy screen, select the USA and then go to the options on the right and chose either "leave the alliance" or "ban from alliance"; in either case the alliance should get disbanded as well because only one member (US or you) remains.
    Last edited by Tankfriend; July 30, 2008 at 07:07 AM.

If you're at war, you can't kick them out of your alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    Well, as you're the head of the alliance, it should be rather easy. Simply go to the diplomacy screen, select the USA and then go to the options on the right and chose either "leave the alliance" or "ban from alliance"; in either case the alliance should get disbanded as well because only one member (US or you) remains.
    Well no, that's what I thought should be easy enough too. But it's a large alliance and that seems to be the reason it won't let me force the USA to leave. I was just wondering if there was a work around.

I guess there is, as long as you don't consider this as "cheating".
    Simply save your game and then surrender to end the game. Now, go to the campaign selection screen and select your recently made game save, then select the US flag on the top and load the game.
    Now you're playing the exact same game, just as the US.
    That way, you should be able to go to the diplomacy screen and leave the alliance on your own accord.
    Save, surrender and change to your original faction again and you've gotten rid of the US as a member of your alliance.

If that's not possible as well, you should try to end the war first as EvilManiacfromMars has implied above.
    Last edited by Tankfriend; August 02, 2008 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    I guess there is, as long as you don't consider this as "cheating".
    Simply save your game and then surrender to end the game. Now, go to the campaign selection screen and select your recently made game save, then select the US flag on the top and load the game.
    Now you're playing the exact same game, just as the US.
    That way, you should be able to go to the diplomacy screen and leave the alliance on your own accord.
    Save, surrender and change to your original faction again and you've gotten rid of the US as a member of your alliance.

If that's not possible as well, you should try to end the war first as EvilManicafromMars has implied above.
    At last! I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

That took a bit of time for me to figure out as well - I just thought that those flags simply were around for showing which major/important powers still exist in the respective save game, until I tried it just for fun.