Thread: Rome Total War Directx 9 and Vista

Icon8 Rome Total War Directx 9 and Vista

Alright so I have windows vista sadly, my graphics card is an Nvidia 8600M GS with all the latest drivers installed and I have directx 10 which supposedly has backfiles of dx9. I can run medieval II fine, im assuming because it was meant to play on vista, but not rome total war. Everytime I start up Rome it says it cannot find directx 9.0 c, but it wont let me install it either because i have dx 10. I have been searching all over the internet for answers but none have worked for me, so I thought I'd come here for suggestions.

Default Re: Rome Total War Directx 9 and Vista

Hey there,
    Have you tried playing the game on XP compatibility yet?

According to the [ http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f42dc1033.mspx ] Microsoft knowledge base article, compatibility mode is a feature of Windows Vista that allows you to run programs written for earlier versions of Windows, for example, Windows XP or Windows 2000. Many programs created for Windows XP may work in Windows Vista; however, there are some that may run incorrectly, if at all.
    How to use Windows XP Compatibility Mode

To use Windows XP compatibility mode, right-click the setup application or executable (*.exe) and choose Properties from the context menu that appears:
    Application Context Menu in Windows Vista

After choosing Properties from the context menu, a window will appear displaying the different properties of the application organized in tabs. Selecting the Compatibility tab allows for various, newer features of the operating system (Windows Vista) to be disabled when running this program. Additionally, the Compatibility tab gives the option to run your application as it is intended for Windows XP (Service Pack 2) or for almost all other previous versions of Windows, as available from the drop-down menu:
    How to activate compatibility mode in Windows Vista

After choosing the compatibility mode for the operating system in which your application runs correctly, click Apply then click OK to save the changes.

If the operating system compatibility mode is not enough, try running the Program Compatibility Wizard by clicking the Start button Windows Vista Start Button , clicking Control Panel → Programs → Programs and Features → Use an older program with this version of Windows

If compability mode and the wizard does not solve the problem, check the program manufacturer's website for any updates or patches.
    http://help.unc.edu/?id=6037
    Last edited by Antissa; July 29, 2008 at 06:29 PM.

Yes I have tried that it still gives me the error message saying i dont have directx 9 even though ive seen the dx 9 files in my system32.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

WhenI had Vista, I had to install directx 9.0c myself for the game to find it. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en is the link to the latest run-time files.

See the problem is it wont let me install from the .exe because i have a later version of dx. Could u explain wat files i could maybe manually install???

Forgot about that. I haven't tried this in over a year. On that page of the link I posted, there is a stand alone directx9 that can be downloaded and installed from your computer. Try this one: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en. It's 74+mb but it should do the job.

Good luck.

Ill try that out now.

I had hope but it still doesnt work after i installed that......

Then reinstall Rome so it can find directx.

Still didnt work, should I maybe install direct x in a different folder, ive been putting it in directx in system32???

You can search Microsoft's Knowledge Base for info. Check your quartz.dll and see what version number it is. I search for the XP stuff since it doesn't support Vista per se. Unfortunately directx10 is not backward compatible.