Thread: CTD

Default CTD

Does anyone get CTD? I am playing as Carthage in provincial campaign. Script told me to take roman town in northern Italy. It takes a very long time to complete a battle. I just want to follow the instructions from the script. I think script is really cool idea but CTD are killing me. Just when I am about to take city in northern Italy the game crashes. Sure I can reload and continue but script will not load if your troops already passed Alps. Due to the scripts to load properly, I have to reload game before my troops entered Alps. CTD occur when battle loads or I am awaiting a turn. Please help, this is frustrating. I really would love to finish the game. I already had a few Heroic Victories. I heard it is not possible to kill all the enemies but I killed entire full roman army. They had principles, hastate, and triari. Prior to battle I thought I am going to loose, but I routed them from battle field and kill them all. I don't mean to brag but I always play on hardest level. Once you understand the concept of this particular mode the victory is very easy achievable. It is actually possible to defeat enemy that has way better troops then you. Romans had impressive professional army. If you hit them with fire arches, tie up the front battle line so that you can hit them in the back with cavalry especially with elephants they will run like there is no tomorrow. In Africa my troops defended city from numidians. My phalanxes blocked the passage between the buildings so that AI had no choice but to execute frontal attack. Numidian light cavalry fought frontal assault with my phalanxes for god knows how long. Things like that bother me but the script idea is awesome. Since battles take a huge time to complete, the restarting due to the CTD makes this game frustrating. Does this happened to anybody else?
    Last edited by mrspanky; July 29, 2008 at 07:12 AM.

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: CTD

Yes, I've had several CTDs so far, too. Inside battles or coming out of them to strategy mode. Very frustrating if the battle was a long and hard-fought win...

Thought first that it might have something to do with my new NVidia drivers, but have just tested other mods without getting the same result (not nearly as often, anyway). Now suspects that the new script may have something to do with these CTDs, at least some of them. Don't know what can be done about it.

Edit: actually, one other mod, which is based on the same RTW 1.5 as the ITW Gold, do show similar signs of CTD problems.
    Last edited by Demokritos; July 31, 2008 at 06:28 AM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Um, there is a CTD aleatory when u use nocd path, but i am surprissed of that u have a lot of CTDs in game. Have u ITW about clean Rome Total War 1.5 (or with BI 1.6) instalation? used others mods with ITW? Have u install ITw gold sound system?

Un saludo.

I installed clean Rome Total War 1.5 and ITW only. I did not install ITW gold sound system. Is absence of ITW gold sound system cause CTD? I will install sound system and report back on my findings. CTD were so bad that I gave up on the script provincial campaign.

On the different subject, when I play provincial campaign with script activated, can I take other cities or am I suppose to conquer only cities that script told me to?
    Last edited by mrspanky; July 31, 2008 at 10:23 AM.

I installed the ITW Gold Sound System from the start. With the above mentioned result...

I wish the ITW-devs would adapt their mod to the ALX engine, since that appears to be the best developped and most stable engine for the game (equivalent to RTW 1.9, I think somebody said). Any such plans, ITW-devs?
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Mrsspanky, i wait that monkwarrior read this when back of holidays, he can help u better. It is rare, same u use windows vista or anything, i dont understand problem, but u dont should have problems.

We havent think use ALX engine or do something more, demokritus. Monkwarrior was looking for MTW2 Mod, but Empire is too near for lose energy hehe. I put u some captures:

Well, an ITW based on the M2TW engine is even better! Nice surprise!

I am getting CTD's every two or three turns, had made the mod unplayabe. I have the ITW Gold version on a clean install of BI patched to 1.6. I am playing with Vista Premium Home edition if that makes a difference.

It can be W. Vista. We had used XP in tested

Installation:
    - You need a fresh (unmodded) installation of RTW 1.5

I still have CTDs and I am using WINDOW XP. CTDs make it impossible to follow the script. Do other people have the problem with script?
    Last edited by mrspanky; August 18, 2008 at 08:45 AM.

There are people that use it with others mods, like napoleonic, and they havent problems. I dont understand that it can be. When Monkwarrior back sure him can say something and repair it.

Un saludo.

I have EB, ROP, Chivalry and this mod installed at the same time, and I have no problem with anything, the script works fine and I had no CTDs (except after playing for many hours and the graphics card overheat, but only after many hours of continuous playing). So in other words, I had no CTDs because of the mod.
    I finished the campaign with the Carthaginians. I didn't have any problem with the scripts, just remember to click on a city at the beginning of each turn, if you loaded from a savegame, to active the advisor and the script. If you played EB it should be very familiar. Only glitch is when any Carthaginian army crosses the Alps, a stack of Gallic mercenaries with supercheap upkeep cost is generated under the command of a Carthaginian general, but it is not clickable, until it's attacked and the pre-battle screen pops up. Then it can be selected. But that's a very minor glitch.

However, I also didn't follow the instruction after the Alps because I wanted to finish the campaign within the half-hour, at that time. So I didn't take Ariminum in Northern Italy (so I can't say whether I'd have CTD-ed there), I embarked Hannibal's stack on ship at the coast as fast as I could, and unloaded him at Rome the next turn. Took Rome and then took a rebel city and that was my 35th city and campaign over.

If you want to try it, install RTW twice on your computer, in different folders or drives. One RTW will be used to play ITW. The other RTW will be used to play the other mods. But I really don't think ITW interferes with any other mods since it has its own modfolder.

When I do continue the Carthaginian campaign from the Alps (without bypassing Ariminum), I'll post here again on whether I CTD-ed or not. If you do CTD, you can type in console auto_win attacker or auto_win defender before autoresolving battles and accelerate the campaign quicker from your previous savepoint. You have to re-type it each time before a battle, if you want to use the code. Of course, it's not as "legit" as refighting all the battles yourself, but it does take a long time.
    Last edited by ThePianist; August 20, 2008 at 02:21 AM.