Thread: Rise of the Cassiterides

Default Rise of the Cassiterides

House rules:
    • no using the nice red line to cover a flank (on battle map)
    • I auto-resolve a lot even with family members, but battles with captain-led armies must be auto-resolved.
    • no reloading if something goes wrong.. =P
    • I will try to build colonies and civilise barbarians as first priority
    • I will try to play according to the characteristics of generals-- for example a guy with the "Inferior Infantry Commander" trait will use his infantry in tactically unsound ways
    • I will only change my capital city on the death of a faction leader, to represent shifts of power or whatever.
    • assassins to be used only against diplomats and enemy assassins
    • I will repay the 50,000 dn. loan with 10% interest within 30 years

May add on to house rules as AAR progresses. This is my first full AAR, so any kind of advice would be most welcome.

Prologue: Anabasis & Genesis

Hippias of Camulodunum here displays his enquiry, so that the glorious and extraordinary rise of Greco-British may not become forgotten in time.

The story began more than a hundred years ago, in 280 BC. Phoenicians from the city of Carthage had, through treachery, wrested control of the great port-city of Massalia from the inhabitants, and expelled the entire Greek population. Exiled, the Massiliote Greeks wandered around Gaul, dodging bandits warbands and tribal wars. In this time, a patriarch called Thersandros came to lead the exiles. Thersandros was a visionary who spoke of the fabled isles of Cassiterides. There, he believed, his people could settle down in prosperity.

After a long, perilous odyssey northwards, the exiles finally reached the shore of the northern sea. They had braved bandits and opportunists, cold winters and hostile tribes. There the shipwrights among the exiles put their skills to good use and built a fleet of biremes in Greek fashion. By the winter of 277 BC, the fleet was ready, and the exiles set sail.

They landed near the small town of Camulodunum. Though it was much colder than Mediterranean Massalia, it was also fertile and plentiful. Despite that, the locals there were impoverished from numerous raids from land and sea. Thersandros made a pact with the locals to defend them in return for allowing the exiles to establish homes amongst them. Thus in that manner the first Greek colony was established on Britannia.

With the protection of the Greeks and the infusion of new blood, Camulodunum flourished, and extended its influence towards the whole southern part of Britannia. A significant factor was the locals’ embracing of Hellenic culture and political institutions. There were, of course, those who scorned the new ways and despised them as foreign, and for a while there was unrest in Camulodunum, which erupted into open rioting at times. But as those diehards either moved out into the country as brigands or resigned themselves, Camulodunum increasingly came to resemble a Greek town.

In 270 BC, a new, magnificent governor’s palace, built and decorated in Greek fashion, was completed. Locals and settlers alike took this opportunity to declare the inauguration of the Cassiteridic League, with Thersandros as hegemon. The charismatic Thersandros had been the unofficial leader for some time, but the official appointment cemented his authority. The emerging Greco-British state, with its embryonic stage behind it, has unlimited potential. An energetic and capable strategos could spread Greco-British culture well beyond the Tin Isles……

The Greco-British circa 270 BC

Family tree:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Publius Quirinus; July 29, 2008 at 08:59 AM. Reason: added a couple of new house rules

Default Re: Rise of the Cassiterides

Quirinal, that's very interesting. Another prov Greek compaign, if even on the ashes of Massalia . Hope your generals will not get homesick .
    Good luck with your AAR!

TM Is Back's Avatar Campidoctor

Nice rules. I will follow this one.

good start +rep, but what version of XGM is this? It looks different

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

stormer: He's using the new border colours that CaesarVincens made a while back.

It's 5.7.15, haven't looked for new updates in a while. I'm playing on M/M with landbridges on, reduced AI bonuses, fatigue on, reduced movement off.
    EDIT: Oh wait, if you mean the mini-map, that's because I'm using CaesarVincens' minimal-borders descr_sm_factions, here. File is on post #12, previews on post #17.

I'll probably update this by tomorrow, but honestly it's going to be a little boring in the beginning as I'm going to expand slowly, consolidate my hold on Britannia first, and then probably Scandinavia.

Greco-British... what?! Very interesting idea, but mighty bizarre.

Just curious, but do you still control the original (starting) Greek regions or did you sell them off to random factions?

TM Is Back's Avatar Campidoctor

He started as massilia as you could read, and then went to Britannia.

How did you defeat the large elite rebel stack?

Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorfish View Post
    Just curious, but do you still control the original (starting) Greek regions or did you sell them off to random factions?
    I gave Massalia to Carthage, it still revolts back to me occasionally though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom9127
    You mean the one defending Camulodunum? IIRC it was only a three-unit army, and anyhow I traded my springboard region at Atuatuca (to build ships to get across) with Camulodunum with the Indie Gauls using force-diplomacy. That teeny stack I later bribed away. (I had taken a loan of 50000 dn. to start the game with, I had only about 5000 left by the time I established myself in Camulodunum.)

wow....this will be interesting!
    I'M BAAAAACCCCCKKKKKKK!

Does that borders mod work with successive versions of XGM?
    "We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender."
    - Winston Churchill

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Sterlingworth View Post
    Does that borders mod work with successive versions of XGM?
    It's an install option in the current version of XGM (5.7.20), which should work with saved games back to 5.7.0. It's best to use the XGM installer to add it rather than the file posted earlier. The file posted earlier was just for testing purposes and won't work with some install options.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Dom9127 View Post
    In recent versions the Indie Gauls have control of Camolodunum and Ireland, not the Rebels, and there are no longer the fearsome British stacks of doom waiting for any foolish enough to venture there. And although unconventional, this is a great idea, I did the same thing with my Iberians and had a blast. Good luck with your AAR.

I'm actually stuck in a rut because I got so caught up in playing the game that I forgot to take any screenshots (save a few), and because nothing really interesting is happening for a while. I'll try to do an update soon though..

August 19 update: What a slacker I am.... I've decided to just drop this. =(
    Last edited by Publius Quirinus; August 19, 2008 at 06:02 AM.

In recent versions the Indie Gauls have control of Camolodunum and Ireland
    Haven't played XGM in such a long time, didn't realize the change Guess it's a much better set up. I'm choosing to hold out for 5.8, before I start a new Campaign.