Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Historical accuracy

Default Re: Historical accuracy

Tobolight
    As previously stated, given that KK is not an historian, and presumably you are, far better to post suggestions/information to aid in the growth of SS, than just say its not historical. I agree with this, its not, which is why my personal version is a kind of Anno Dommini / SS / PDER combo. I however would not impose it on others as each of us has our own styles of play. However an open discussion, generates interest, and if the majority of SS players find it to there liking, maybe KK will include some more historical stuff in the next version. Given that he is only one man, it seems only fair that we chip in with a bit of aid for the mod which we all enjoy so much.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Chappy4756: wouldnt be easier to improve SS instead?

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Biggest restriction to making SS historically accurate is the way CA designed the game. (So we have hard-coded limitations on numbers of factions, regions (1 settlement (type) per region!) etc etc.

At best stainless steel tries to work within the restrictions to produce an interesting game experience - it is after all a MOD, not a new game. Given that the game is to re-write history, the only point an historically accurate game would exist is at the first turn, after that (if the game mechanics don't try and script too much "realism") historical accuracy goes out the window in many respects.

I agree there are places where it could be improved, and some mods try to address some of those issues.

As it stands we're waiting to see if KK decides to do a SS7.0 before Empires taken most people away. If he does then we can all jump in with what expertise we have.

Rozanov: but i would like to rewrite history myself rather than AI rewrite history for me... because other way you never meet some factions that were important - like HRE or France. Look at it this way - Spain fought practically whole Medieval Age against Moors. In early Renaisance they start to expand into Italy and some HRE provinces (Hapsburgs) and fought vs France. Right now, if you spend a time fighting Moors, at the time you defeat them and try to go against Italy and HRE, Italians already have half of the Europe, HRE is not existing and France most of the time has 1-2 provinces (if any)

Jam. I am absolutely in favour of improving SS. But all I saw in his posts was complaints with no suggestions, and slightly self-righteous. To your points, I can see why you would want to experience the other factions, and it isn't happening. problem is, the AI progresses and we can't "freeze-frame" it. My suggestion, maybe lower some of the stats of the unique Italian units, like the militias and x-bows. If you weaken the earlier units, it may impact or balance the early auto-resolve results, allowing France and HRE time to develop to their later, stronger units. In fact, I'm about ready to start a new campaign, maybe an Orthodox. I'm gonna weaken the Italian early units, and see if it makes a difference.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

JaM.

Spain, as such didn't exist as a political unity for most of the medieval age.

Aragon grabbed a fair chunk of southern Italy, Sicily and Sardinia, the Catalan Free Companies took southern Greece. Which is more (historically) than I normally see in SS (unless I play them.)

Maybe we should be buffing Aragon to help it expand more?

(I'd also be surprised if a SS campaign also featured English Crusaders capturing Lisbon, Scottish Crusaders fighting the Moors and the English intervening in Spanish wars, with the Aragonese-Catalans fighting against the northern French crusaders in wars of religious heresy in southern France. Oh and let's add Burgundians setting up as the rulers of Portugal. And Islamic-Christian alliances fighting other Christian-Islamic alliances. )

I suspect a lot depends on what particular factions you focus on, and which particular historical events. Making the AI limit certain factions whilst "balancing" others just to prevent or cause particular outcomes makes for a less entertaining game IMHO.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Chappy4756 View Post
    simple solution, don't play it, find a mod that does satisfy your lofty expectations, or make your own. clearly you are here to troll. you fail.
    Do not call me a troll, THE Mod is fun!, but The mod is not historically accurate.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456