Thread: missing troop recruitment

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

Default missing troop recruitment

Hey REDFOX its no big deal and a easy fix but while playing xgm D. i found that as cities advance u lose basic troops like levy pikemen and the like, but i was wondering if that was what u want to happen? If so i understand the loss of orig hoplites but not the basic quick defence troops like the macidonian pike levies and or greek.
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Default Re: missing troop recruitment

Yes this is intended to happen, it is to make the ai recruit better units i believe. Bear in mind you dont have to upgrade the barracks in EVERY city, i usually leave 1 or 2 with low lvl barracks to provide garrisons for nearby settlements.

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

The barrack levels work in a different way that it used to. In original XGM and RTW, you just unlocked new units by building higher level barracks. In Diadochi, each barracks will provide a whole new level army to recruit, making the barracks more quality or quantity oriented.

The highest level barracks (Royal/Reform barracks) won't provide with the best selection units, rather Army Barracks will. Royal barracks will provide you with top notch elite units and will only concentrate on that - to recruit levies, you'll need lower level barracks in border regions. Of course the system isn't completely refined yet and some rather annoying inconsistencies may appear, but most of the time, all the barracks should provide you with Infantry, Cavalry and Ranged units.
    Mostly some previous level (useful) units will be included in higher level barracks, so it is common to have lvl 2 barracks units in lvl 3 barracks, though never lvl 1 units.

This mostly benefits the AI, as it won't recruit levy pikemen just "because they are cheap". If AI advances far enough, it should throw quite elite armies towards the player. A basic levy unit will always be available for all factions from the Governors building, to avoid an annoying crash late in the game.

If there are some annoying inconsistencies, please be sure to give a shout in the Bugs & Issues Thread
    Last edited by RedFox; July 29, 2008 at 07:19 AM.

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

There were some inconsistencies afterall. Some of them will be fixed for the next version.