Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Amusement Park

Default Favorite Amusement Park

Whats your favorite Amusement Park.
    Im going to say Disney because I dont go to amusement parks often.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Re: Favorite Amusement Park

Busch Gardens Williamsburg
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Oh yeah I heard about that. I wanna go there sometime.

Most of the real good ones are gone like Palisades Park

High atop the New Jersey Palisades cliffs, located within the boroughs of Cliffside Park and Fort Lee, once stood the home of the famous Cyclone roller coaster, the Tunnel of Love and the world’s largest salt water pool. The place was called Palisades Amusement Park and even today, over thirty years after it closed its gates, the Park is still warmly remembered.

In 1898, a New Jersey picnic grove became the catalyst for one of the greatest amusement parks of the century. What would later be known as Palisades Amusement Park, started out as an attraction for the local trolley company, designed to increase weekend ridership. It grew to be one of the world’s most famous fun centers, achieving national prominence through the Freddy Cannon song, “Palisades Park”.

Originally, it had been a simple picnic ground, with tables and benches, refreshment concessions and a breathtaking view of Manhattan. By 1908, it had added a carousel, various rides, a wild west show and numerous other attractions. It soon became a popular oasis for the turn-of-the-century populace.

In 1910, the property was purchased by Nicholas and Joseph Schenck, two brothers that were a major influence in the developing motion picture industry. In 1913, they constructed the world’s largest outdoor salt water pool in the Park. The Schenck brothers built Palisades into an attraction which came to rival Coney Island. For nearly twenty-five years the Schencks transformed Palisades into a magical wonderland. In 1934 they sold their interests in the Park to two other enterprising brothers, Irving and Jack Rosenthal. The Rosenthals took the Park to new heights of popularity.

Palisades Amusement Park was host to Kings and Queens, rich and poor alike. At the famed open-air theater, top entertainers of the day performed for record crowds. During the Big Band era the talent included such classic performers as Benny Goodman’s Big Band, Cab Calloway, Les Brown & His Orchestra, Harry James and The Dorsey Brothers.

The names of performers from the world of Pop and Rock reads like a Who’s Who of musicians; Fabian, Chubby Checker, The Shirelles, The Chiffons, Leslie Gore, The Jackson Five, Tony Bennett, Vic Damone, The Four Seasons, Bill Haley & The Comets, Bobby Rydell, Dion, Jackie Wilson, Neil Sedaka, Tony Orlando, Frankie Avalon, Little Anthony, Freddy Cannon, Diana Ross & The Supremes, The Young Rascals, The Lovin’ Spoonful, The Fifth Dimension and many more. It was host to the Little Miss America Pageant, the Miss American TeenAger contest, the Diaper Derby and many other diverse and interesting competitions.

Palisades finally closed its doors on September 12, 1971 to make room for high rise condominiums but the memories live on.
    Such great concerts there .

But nothing will ever touch Coney island

I went there all the time as a kid.

Here it is during my childhood

The Cyclone is still there and the best Coaster in the world to this day.

Heres whats left. A mere shadow of its former self. All three of the big parks there are now gone

Steeplechase Park

Luna Park

Dreamland

Only Steeplechase remained even when i was a kid but there were rides on every street on the Island in every Building. My parents told me about Lunar and how much they loved it.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

Sea World!

Just because I spent so much time there as a kid....wait, I'm still a kid! Sort of.

Thoguh I spend a lot of time at Wet N' Wild.

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I hate those places. Ok, I never visited one, but I don't care to, I see nothing fun about them. But closest big one, and I heard good words about is Gardaland in Italy.
    Has signatures turned off.

I hate sea world personally and since im a new york city kid i love coney island.

Anachronist's Avatar Domesticus

Six Flags Fiesta Texas and Sea World

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Santa Claus Land!
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    Busch Gardens Williamsburg
    I'm going there in a few weeks. I've been there way too much though, I know like every inch of the park accessible to guests like the back of my hand.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Innos's Avatar Campidoctor

Disneyland, Florida - Been there twice, loved it! Stayed at the Carribean Beach Resort. I loved the water park (Typhoon Lagoon) as well

Alton Towers - A bit closer to home, used to go there loads as a kid. The hotel there is extremely cool if your a kid as well
    U.L.B.C. | W.B.C.

"Rowing is the only sport that originated as a form of capital punishment."

I've always been fond of Cedar Point.

Yorkshireman's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Smerklo View Post
    Alton Towers - A bit closer to home, used to go there loads as a kid. The hotel there is extremely cool if your a kid as well
    I went there with school in about 1980, I think it was the only big amusement park we had then.

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Limbaugh View Post

Only Steeplechase remained even when i was a kid but there were rides on every street on the Island in every Building. My parents told me about Lunar and how much they loved it.
    Don't worry Rush Luna Park still exists in Melbourne, my home town.

Home of the oldest continually operating roller-coaster in the world

And a damn fine Carousel

that is my favourite theme park an old fashioned one that both my parents,grandparents and great grandparents have been going to. And one day I hope to take my own children to that fine place.
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

Quote Originally Posted by Big War Bird View Post
    Santa Claus Land!
    OMG...

I saw that poor excuse for an amusement park on my way to Cherokee and I just couldn't fathom how anyone would actually invest in something like that. It looks like it'd be pretty freaky to be in at night, all alone.
    "Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith.
    Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge."

— Robert G. Ingersoll

Liseberg.

Of the amusement-parks I've been to, this is my rankings

1. Liseberg
    2. Terra Mitica
    3. Tusenfryd
    4. Euro-Disney
    5. Tivoli in Copenhagen

Cedar Point is great, I also really liked Universal Studios

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Ha! I have been to Santa Land before.

My church was doing a mission trip in Cherokee, and we were doing a puppet show for the kids as they came out of the magic show.

That place is pitiful.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Cedar Point. America's roller coast. Live about a hour away as well. Place is amazing but I haven't been there in years.

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Aru View Post
    I hate those places. Ok, I never visited one, but I don't care to, I see nothing fun about them. But closest big one, and I heard good words about is Gardaland in Italy.
    Well, I don't hate amusement parks, but I don't enjoy roller coasters (or other high-intensity rides) as much as I used to. I feel too unsafe on them, hearing of ride accidents only makes me even more skeptical of their safety. They are fun, sure, but I'm generally concerned about their reliability.

The worst rollar coaster I've ever been on was Goliath, at Six Flags Magic Mountain. It was a horrid experience, up so high, I could hardly breathe, especially with the coaster riding dozens of miles per hour. The Superman ride wasn't that good for me either.

My favourite amusement park is Disneyland though, it's OK. I do enjoy the Space Mountain ride though, it's not as intense as the ones I was describing before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast