Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In my father's house, there are many mansions - A Kingdom of Jerusalem AAR

Coeur de Lion's Avatar Ordinarius

Default In my father's house, there are many mansions - A Kingdom of Jerusalem AAR

IMAGE HEAVY

In my father's house, there are many mansions
    A Broken Crescent AAR

- Prelude -

His mouth was dry, his scalp itched beneath the leather cap that bore the weight of his helm. How long they had been waiting, he could not guess. He shuffled from one foot to the other and hefted the sheild that he rested on his mailed foot in the style of those less devout to their duty who are placed in the rearward ranks.
    He looked upward, the clouds, unmoving in their charge of the azure sky, returned his gaze, gloating at their good fortune to be naked amidst the heavens so close to the Lord. The flags of blue and gold furled and fluttered above him, and yet still, all was quiet. Every man stood shoulder to shoulder with the next, backs straight and heads held proud, for they knew, the longer they waited, the closer they came to the first glimpse of the guardsmen, coming a-horse onto the square.

Yet noone came.

Minds wandered, and he found himself day-dreaming of his bunk back at barracks, of the basin of crystal cool water in its hammered copper basin on the washstand. Things that seem so meanial, yet under this Levantine sun those thoughts could drive him to kill for one last breeze or a splash of water. His mind wandered even further to the girls outside the gates...he had had his fill only last night, costing him dearly. Yet this new land was full of new things to explore, and after 5 years of enjoying its bounty, he was most certainly not growing weary of it.

Still noone came.

Not that he'd be able to see anything anyway, surrounded by his friends, his enemies and his comrades...

Before the once Muslim, now Christian holy place, there would be a great thing this day, the new king was going to be presented to his Knights so that they may swear alliegance to him. Alliegance, he thought, if he asks he will get it, but I would rather swear alliegance to my farm in Provence back home in the middle of summer when the grapes and apples and berries would swell after the rains...he would if that place still stood.
    And there he was, back there again, with the screams of his wife in his ears and the blood of his children on his hands as he carried them away from that terrible scene of brutality and cowardice. Oh if he ever met them again, mercenaries, scoundrels and thieves all of them, he and his brothers from the Kights of Jerusalem would cleanse their souls with steel and fire!

His knuckles were white and his teeth clenched as trumpets rent through the stark and unnerving reality of those memories...

"All Hail!!! Baldwin, King of Jerusalem and Lord of Outremer!!"

At this the host rose a tumult to the heavens that left many ears ringing for some time after, praising god and bidding his will be done by the hand of Baldwin. At only 19 they saw great promise in the tactian, having been schooled by Tiberius, and the leader and the governer.
    He rode before them on his mailed horse, clad in the livery of gold upon blue and he spoke thus:

"Knights, brothers, friends...I come before you as your King. I ask the heavenly father to guide my hand, to lend weight to my sword and let the feet of my horse bear down upon and trample those that would oppose us!!"

They cheered and clashed their spears upon their shields...
    "But I shall also ask him to reserve this, the fate of all enemies of chirst, for now. We are faced with the might of Saladin, a might that despite His will, may end in our undoing." He rose in his saddle, "the holy land is ours, our churches now are built upon, where, only recently, not a single godly word was spoken except in secret upon this ground. We have come far, yet further we still have t..." and with that his words failed him. His guard were upon him in an instant guiding his steed away from the host that was arrayed before him, watching him, hanging upon his every word.
    And that was that, they had seen their king, pround and upright upon his horse, yet something was not right. A simple case of the runs some said, other claimed to have seen him die upon his horse, others that he was weak from within. Some, closer to the front, claimed to have seen the king with a hammered silver mask upon his face, mouth closed in a pious expression. 'My king', he thought, 'we are in need of a strong hand, I pray to the almighty you have the mastery of such a hand'

"Raymond!" the King wheezed, "my heart is strong yet my body fails me once again"
    "My lord, I knew today was not yours, please rest for now...the troops have been dismissed and all is well"
    "My dear Raymond, I fear your loyalty to me will be tested beyond all conception in the coming months and years, no man will blindly follow a leper"
    "My sword is always yours, my liege"

As Raymond knelt to kiss his hand, the door burst open "Sires!" Cried the man who had entered so utterly unannouced, "Balian has had victory at Baalbek!"
    Last edited by Coeur de Lion; August 13, 2008 at 04:29 AM.

Default Re: In the Lord's House, there are many mansions - A Kingdom of Jerusalem AAR

YAY!! At last there is one new AAR and i hope it's serious one and don't end very soon so...Good Luck!

Default Re: In the Lord's House, there are many mansions - A Kingdom of Jerusalem AAR

believe me my friend, this tale will make you question the motive of every good person you have ever met and allow you to see through even the most cunning of designs

I am going on holiday for 2 weeks and may/may not be able to access the internet to update this so...I'm going to postpone it for 2 weeks and plan/write some of it whilst I'm away to stave of boredom. I hope it will be worth the wait the 'prelude' shall we say shall be on shortly though

thankyou for your support
    Last edited by Coeur de Lion; July 24, 2008 at 06:06 PM.

Default Re: In my father's house, there are many mansions - A Kingdom of Jerusalem AAR

Well, the update was very good and i'll hope when u come back form your holiday that u will continue this AAR

Default Re: In my father's house, there are many mansions - A Kingdom of Jerusalem AAR

the first chapter...The Proving of Balian...will be written this evening but it will be the last before I go on holiday I think

thanks for your support dude!

Chapter 1
    The Proving of Balian

The breeze, cool for time of day, tossed the pennants above his head. Balian sat upon his horse and scrutinised the settlement before him.
    The captain inside, once loyal to Damascus, had become a renegade in the later years of his life. Choosing autonomy from the Calif and sentancing himself to death by either Christian or Muslim swords. Today would most certainly be his day of judgement

Balian, of Ibelin, knew that for his fathers memory he would put down this rebel and expand the glory of Jerusalem.
    "Soldiers of Jerusalem, sons of Europe! Waste not your time with prayer, for the Lord God knows we do his work this day and will aid us according to his judgment...we wield the power of Jerusalem, and we prove ourselves, we must send a message to those Muslims who may oppose us...we shall not be shaken!! Let the dying cries of these rebels ring in the ears of all those who oppose our claim to the Kingdom of Heaven...and warn them they face true warriors, noble fighters and merciful victors!!" The soldiers cheered and clashed their weapons upon their shields, as is the style of those who wish to use them soon.
    With a motion of his hand he sent his rams to the walls of the town, he thought if the enemy were strong of heart and arm they could hold the breaches made by the rams...if that was the case there would be hard, bloody fighting ahead. His crossbows attemted to gain a position at an angle from the walls in order to begin thinnning the ransk of the enemy, however even this lowly palisade of a wall was too high for them. Such are the curious developments of our time.
    A section of wall fell, then shortly after the gate burst forth into the town as its hinges and locking bars collapsed from the onslaught of the ram. As the gate fell, a cry rose from the defenders to fall back, and as they did the Kingdom spears charged into their breaches, looking to be the first with a kill in this battle.
    Yet, the enemy were too quick in their cowardly withdrawal and none were reached. As the spears dressed their ranks, the first man fell. Arrows hissed and buzzed as they flew through the air, men looked to protect themselves with their shields while screams of pain were heard amidst the ranks.

Balian, seeing the plight of his men and their sudden inability to counter this attack, led his own bodyguard headlong throught the gate, without thought for what lay within, to assail a group of archers on the western edge of the town.

As the cavalry reached the archers, the foe quailed and all died beneath the blades of those men of Outremer.
    The ranks of spears, seeing the threat passed marched around the corner, moving North into the town. More fell as arrows assailed them yet again, but the Latin crossbows now moved to the fore. Their first volley ripped through the lightly armoured archers, but some also fell among the Latins.
    Movement on the square caught Balian's eye. With shouts of Allahu Akbar! Saracens came down the street, led by their foolish captain. As the corssbows fell back sword crashed onto shield and spear split mail.

The fight had begun.

As the crash of metal rang through the town, Balian sprang his trap upon the captain. A band of Italians with some spears skirted around the western edge of the settlement and reached the square within minutes. With only light spears to defend the square, the italian spiked battlemaces made short work of their lightly armoured foe.

The square was quickly arrested from the enemy's control. As the runners arrived at Balian side to inform him of this a cheer went up from the spears fighting northward toward the square...the rebel captain was slain, brought down in a dense shield to shield battle with a member of the spear company. The fighting was bloody, the men were tiring quickly under the high Levantine sun. But the hearts of the enemy were not in the battle, fear gripped them as they listened to the screams and following cheers of the battle on the western side of the square.

That was all that was needed, the square was taken, their captain dead, the enemy tried to surrender. Balian would have spared them but for the bloodlust of his lead ranks plunging their spears into the figures now laying prone, begging for mercy, upon the blood-soaked street.

That was how Balian proved his worth to the king, and as his men cheered him, his bodyguard followed marched triumphantly into the heart of the town to attest to its new governership.

For all the jovial banter of the men, a group went unnoticed, crouched upon the flat rooftop of a nearby house. These men were boys, scarecly old enoguh to be let out in the town to play, but they had watched thier fathers and brothers fall before the Christians. Their faces were solemn as they embraced each other silently, vowing revenge...someday.
    Last edited by Coeur de Lion; July 25, 2008 at 02:42 PM.

YAY!!! Chapter 1 completed and it was very good. I think the town u assaulted was Balbek, and please continue..

nice aar so far lookin forward to your next post

Oooh pictures! Faber est quisque fortunae suae

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Ruunu View Post
    YAY!!! Chapter 1 completed and it was very good. I think the town u assaulted was Balbek, and please continue..
    yeh it was Baalbek,

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    trouble is brewing in the south at them moment as the turn in fortune brought about by Balien's victory has made Raynald, Constable of the armies of the Kingdom, jealous of the king's favour and he looks to further his own ends...
    Last edited by Coeur de Lion; July 26, 2008 at 06:52 AM.

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Inspired story telling, great photos, +Rep. Looking forward to your next installment.
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

thanks for your support
    I'm going on holiday tomorrow so will be unable to post for the next to weeks...however, there should me installments as soon as I get back and as often as time allows

check here again two weeks from now

thanks again

Galain_Ironhide's Avatar Semisalis

Very Nice!!

I like your style.

Keep up the good work

- Galain

Winter's Avatar Civitate

This is very well done!

Don't let this great story die, keep it up!

+rep

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

hi all I'm back from holiday now so there should be more chapters coming very soon, took my laptop and managed to get on it occasionally so the wait shouldn't be too long

Laetus

yeah I love your AAR

Chapter 2
    In nomine patris, et file, et spiritu sancti

The beaten bronze plate, smeared with the residue of the food that, moments ago, had lay upon it, crashed onto the stones of the shady balcony. As figs, olives, bread and the finest fish from the sea of galilee sprayed across the sun warmed floor he rose to his feet in fury.
    "He wrestles one rat infested whore house from the grasping hands of some oily eastern snake and suddenly he deserves the love of the king!!" Sweat and spittle rained from him in equal measure landing on his fine silk gown that hung perfectly from his form. Even in later life Raynald de Chatillon was a striking figure, a mane of ginger hair hung to his shoulders, surmounted by a head edged by a beard of the same saffron-hued mess of hair. His years fighting the infidel had given him scars, one ran from the middle of his forehead and ended at the joint of his jaw. His torso was built to wield the lance and sword yet his stomach betrayed more than a few hours spent at the table and on the luxourious divan in his chamber.
    "Calm Raynald, calm" the voice was smooth yet tinged with impatience and exasperation "let him have the love of the king, allow him to sit idly and talk with the leper, he has nothing but words and promises"
    "Then why, may I ask, was he given the army to lead? Why now does the king see fit to trust him with Tyre?? He gets the city while I get this scorpians nest full of sand and Saracens!!!"
    "Sand and Saracens made of silk, olives and gold?"
    "What do you know, you sit in Acre like its your very own Jerusalem!!"
    "Silence you fat fool!! You forget that you address the future king of the Holy City!! Not to mention a fellow soldier of the Temple!"
    "Forgive me my liege...I speak to hot" Raynald bowed low, his eyes still filled with anger and malice. Yet for all his rage nothing could breach the bond between these two men, for all their words they could have shared the horse as their seal depicts. They could have braved the blistering desert sun together to safeguard the helpless on the plains of Syria. They were Templars, perhaps in name only, yet they shared the same bond, if not the poverty and pentinence their lower born fellows so devoted themselves too. Templars are brothers before all else.
    "Guy, speak honestly" Raynald lowered himself into his chair, "he is entrusted with the army of the kingdom and I have to protect my fortress with my own borther Templars, does not the constable of Jerusalem deserve more?"
    "He does, and I am of a like mind with our king it seems as I passed around 600 sergeants on the road, bound for here, for Kerak"
    "So the leper trusts me at last!! Ha!" The image of joy on Ranald's face differed starkly to the rage just witnessed "Guy, you must come with me, Tayma is not far and you knwo how we've talked of it before!"
    "I shall be at your side, anyway, Acre is a bore lately, my swordarm needs some use again"
    "Then my heart is glad"

If only the people of Tayma, miles to the east of Raynald's fortress of Kerak, could have know of what was about to befall them. As sand rises suddenly into a storm, so will the flash of Chirstain steel be seen on the horizon before anyone there could have imagined.

The water hissed and rose as steam almost as soon as it touched Raynald's mailed coat.
    "This heat! Its a wonder we all made it here alive!"
    "In God's name we triumph"
    "In God's name" Raynald echoed
    The day had dawned clear and hot, yet as the temperature climed, so did the men's spirits. All knew the thrill of battle yet to come and all relished the chance to spill the infidel blood in the name of the Lord and the Kingdom.
    "For glory then my friend" Guy touched Raynald on the shoulder
    "For God, my brother"

Raynald rode before the men "Non nobis Domine, non nobis! Sed nomine tuo da gloriam!! Deus vult! Deus Vult! Deus Vult!!"
    For anyone who wants a translation...
    Not unto us, O LORD, not unto us, but unto thy name give glory! God wills it!

With a wave of his arm the ram groaned as loud as the men pushing and it began it's steady progress toward the gate. Raynald held back his ladders to be employed in the crucial moment of battle for when he and Guy and the Templars charged the gate in glory and honour.
    The ram drew nearer to the gate and then the arrows began to fall.
    Tipped with rags dipped in pitch, the arrows now flying from the towers either side of the gate were supposed to hit the ram and stick eventually causing it to burn. But even a slow moving ram is difficult to hit from so far away, the arrows landed amidst the sergeants tasked to present their charge against the gate. One man screamed as an arrow pinned his hand to the spar he braced himself agaisnt to move the ram. Blood issued forth from the rent in his mailed glove. A carnal scream issued from the body of the troops as one man broke ranks and ran, a burning rag sending flames licking up over his face and neck. The smell of burning flesh travelled to every man stood upon the field and filled them with hatred.
    The arrows began to find their mark on the ram, despite the damp leather hide of the wooden structure, flames began to take hold. The dry wood was kindling as flames consumed it. The ram burned.

Despite the close danger of the spitting and roaring fire of the ram, the sergeants held their nerve and ran for the cover beneath the towers fo the gate. The enemy dare not come forth to confront them so they stood and waited watching the ram being reduced to ash.
    Raynald quickly dispatched the ladders to scale the walls. The sergeants raised them to the parapet of the wall and the first forlorn hope of the battle began to climb.
    The first man to step from the parapet was pinned against it by the powerful thrust of a spear. Few men could reach to protect themselves from the probing thrusts of spearpoints already wet with Christian blood. Those that avoided them braced themselves agaisnt the wall and waited for their comrades to arrive, shielding the blows as they joined them on the wall. Few could withstand the weight of numbers and men fell. The banner of Jerusalem, that had led the sergeants up the wall was now hurled back to the sand by the hand of a heathen, Tayma would be hard fought.

More sergeants scrambled up the ladders, then, as Raynald was about to lament their deaths, two of the glorious blue and gold banners of the kingdom were held high on the wall. A foothold had been gained.

A foothold had been gained yet victory was not yet assured, the men were faltering in the heat and the thrash of battle. Raynald himself rode to the wall as some men began to climb down and flee the field. He cried encouragement and insult in equal measure as the sergeants fought on.
    Before anyone could have anticipated it, the heathen banner came fluttering to the ground and the foe quailed. The gatehouse was taken as the men were urged on by Raynald himself, the sergeants delerious in the heat and without leadership, their captains laying amongst the slain.
    The gates groaned open and Raynald led the knights through with cries of Deus Vult!
    Christian horse met Bedouin camels and the fight was decided. Their lances broken, the knights of the kingdom and the brothers of the Temple drew their swords cleaving limbs and heads, drenching themselves in the blood of the foe.

Some knights and Templars fell, but with cries of Deus Vult still on their lips they went to paradise. The holiness of this act and God's divine backing was never in question.
    The last of the defenders were put to the sword, yet the Christian's thirst for blood was not yet sated.

Raynald had 100 men, women or children killed for every one of his knights that had fallen. The screams and the blood flowed late into the night. Those that survived did so either by concealment or by repenting and converting to Chirstainity before these holy warriors.
    Raynald's victory, and slaughter, was complete.

Woe unto the enemies of Jerusalem and Holy God.

Good to see you are back and very good update; keep it coming
    "We'll go to the front—and beyond it, if it'll save the galaxy. Sometimes you have to enter the darkness to save the light."

Laetus

Whoo! Excellent, as always

heres a nice teaser for a few posts from now

The Saracen finally meets Christian steel

Laetus

nice screen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast