Thread: DIY CTD solutions

Default DIY CTD solutions

I see that many people are having recurring CTD prolems with the rome total realism mod. These steps i will write wont fix any persefic problems and the steps will be quite general. The aim is to teach those of you out there who dont know about how to fix CTD's yourself. I understand that there is a number of stuck threads about CTD's but many dont give advice about how to solve them yourself. I though of course appreciate the help that members like florin80 is doing who is actively helping individuals.

Note: This beginning bit is just a prelude so for more people with a more advanced understanding skip this first part and read on from "Diagnosing and solving". Also, this thread will be about CTD's which happen when you end turn and the AI does it moves.

What causes CTD's?
    CTD's can be caused by lots of things. A common one is by coding written wrong or triggers that happen that the computer cant really understand. The computer can't work out what happening and is kind of like "WTF?". this makes it crash to desktop. I know this explananation is not totally accurate but i hope it gives you an idea of what causes them.

So what CTD am i experiencing?
    Thats the thing, its often hard to know. Common CTD's are listed in one of the stuck threads at the top of the forum. Though they cant cover all of them because some are just completely random that only 1 player might ever experience due to their cicumstances (e.g. they could have a strange group of settlements or units in strange places).

Before reading the steps make sure you have installed the CTD revolt fix, which is given in this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=112696 At first you might not be able to change the files because its in a rar file. If this is the case then go onto google and type in rar file converter or something. They'll then be a site which you can download it off. you will then be able to access the modified file then overite them over the origninal files.

Diagnosing and Solving:

Diagnosing
    1) The very first thing you should do is to load up your most recent autosave. Once there press the ` key on your keyboard (the retarded one next to the 1 on your keyboard. This will open a cheat menu. in it write "toggle_fow" (no speech marks of course). This will activate a cheat that will turn fog of war on (unless you already have it on). This will allow you to see everything on the map.

2) Press esc and go to game options. on the bottom of the game options select "follow AI movements". This means that when you end the turn it follows every movement the AI makes.

3) Press end turn and watch the AI movements slowly, dont push the space bar to make it go quicker cos you might miss a movement. however, if you know the CTD happens on an AI like gaul (that i guess is quite late) then fast forward to there cautiously then go to normal speed so you can save time by not watching AI's that dont effect you.

4) Watch the AI movements closely. soon you will get that CTD that you've been getting. (if you dont get a CTD then the CTD could just be random. if this happens and it doesnt CTD play on.) remember what caused it. this can be anything. i find typical ones are when a character or army/navy move or a settlement is taken.

Solving
    1) Now that you know what the problem is see if you can do something about stopping it before u end term. If you can stop it within the turn then great. one i got is that i would get a CTD everytime this diplomat from macedonia moved. To stop him i surroneded him with units. he couldnt move, so no CTD. However, some cannot be fixed within a turn so a different approach needs to be taken.

2) If you cannot fix the CTD by using step 1 then follow the next steps. Luckily some clever clogs has made a mod which allows people to play multiplayer campaign on the same computer. You may ask whats this to do with fixing CTD's? Well what the mod allows you to do is to control AI movements for more than one factions. So perhaps an AI movement by carthage is causing a CTD. Well by using the mod u can take control of carthage and make sure they dont move. This mod then thus allows you to control the faction which isnt your own, giving you time to sort out the CTD by blocking or stopping the 'trigger' of it.

The download can be found in this thread. http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=64876 This isnt my own work. Note: follow the instructions exactly. dont try and do things in different orders. its seems difficult but just follow the instructions and it will be fine. Also, don't get put of by the "hot seat campaign" bit. The original purpose of the mod was to allow people to play campaign against each other but it can also be used to sort out CTD's.

3) Now that you have followed the tutorial made by Myrddral you should have installed it and no how it works so i wont go through that with you. Now you can go about stopping the trigger of the CTD and moving forces or taking actions which will stop the CTD.

Hopefully this guide will help all you gamers out there not familiar with CTD's a helping hand in sorting them out yourself. remember though alot of CTD's have patches found in the sticky threads at the top of the page. Also, make sure you have the latest RTR mod which you can download from the official rtr site www.rometotalrealism.org . Personally i would advise you to get the latest version and transfer your saves to it (if you have an older version like gold). Platimun i would say is probally the most reliable. however, if you have lots of mini mods etc dont bother and im unsure if gold is save compatible to platimun so do your own research on that matter. the strong community at twcenter are always keen to help.

Hope this helped guys!
    Last edited by leemyster; July 23, 2008 at 05:01 PM.

Default Re: DIY CTD solutions

Well, about all you`ve prescribed is covered in the pinned threads, but not as ellaborated or coherent. Besides, it has a nice introduction. So I`ll stuck this one too. Good job!

Btw, check the number 4 of the Diagnosing section. There are some words missing there I think.

Hi Leemaster and Florin 80,

Thanks for the Post and your great work supporting the mod. I just got a question : how can I desactivate the Toggle_fog when my CTD is solved ? Cause I dont want to stay whith the whole view of the map ...

Just type the toggle_fow command again.

Have some of you ever tested the multiplayer solution? It sounds logical but it seems to take a long time to really get down to business. I'm wondering if it's worth all the effort. I'm having a ctd while Carthage is indeed moving a unit. I've been playing until 219 BC with Germania. I'm using RTPE 1.9.

Delvecchio1975's Avatar Primicerius

Icon3 Re: DIY CTD solutions

Quote Originally Posted by RTRhannibal View Post
    Have some of you ever tested the multiplayer solution? It sounds logical but it seems to take a long time to really get down to business. I'm wondering if it's worth all the effort. I'm having a ctd while Carthage is indeed moving a unit. I've been playing until 219 BC with Germania. I'm using RTPE 1.9.
    yep, i tried it. it's really not that hard if you do what's in the link.

oke, i will consider it. i have moved on now with with another game with Carthage,but if have the time i think i will do it

Default cant locate CTD

hmm seems just like the problem I'm expiriencing, but if I toggle FOW and follow AI movements, it just crashes when all my movements are finished and the first opponents turn is going to take place (macedonia).
    So I dont really know what the CTD trigger is.. it just crashed to desktop and says an error has occured....

how very annoying

would be very happy for some help
    uhuh

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Sorry to chime in on the RTR forums here but I saw a post here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=210570 and so I took a look at your code and saw the error I suspected might be causing it.

This end-turn CTD was pointed out by Makanyane a year or more ago (and tested by myself and her at that time) - I believe it was listed by us but it seems your EDB coder may have missed it.

The CTD occurs when a port building is constructed when, at the same time, a ship is being built in that building tree AND has xp upgrade attached to it for that level being built.

The way to stop the CTD will be to instruct your players to replace the "2" in line 5418 of your EDB file with a "0" thus

original:
    Code:
    recruit "naval quadrireme"  2  requires factions { carthage, }
    change to:
    Code:
    recruit "naval quadrireme"  0  requires factions { carthage, }
    I have made no other checks - nor do I intend to - but I thought this one might not be obvious.

Best & good luck with RTR!

MasterOfNone, retired.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

That`s incredibly helpful! I can`t believe that`s the answer of the carthaginian ctd that has been reported since RTR 6 Gold or earlier. 3 years of this crash with no solution until now. Many thanks!

Btw, is this type of ctd related to the ports only or is it related to the barracks and other buildings used to recruit units? From what you`ve said the accent seemed to be on the experience upgrade so I would be tempted to guess it applies to other buildings and units. Is there a thread where I could read more on this please?

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Oh, perhaps I should have looked earlier....

Here's the original posts: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1457016 well over a year old

No, there is no problem with other recruitment buildings or with xp of non-ship units in port buildings.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

What`s funny is that to my game I had added a fourth port level just for Carthage(the double port) whose purpose was to give all carthaginian ships better experience. Am I lucky you`ve looked into this.

Now...who is going to release a patch for this? :hmmm:

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Salvor Hardin View Post
    Now...who is going to release a patch for this? :hmmm:
    Umm... You are?
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

Uhm... If it's just one textfile (EDB)... you could simply add it to the first post of the download thread (as a TWC attachement)

Can't be more easy... right?

Well, I was thinking, now that we are on it, that this fix should also incorporate a better version for the "revolt CTD fix" that Florin and I created some time ago. Following EB's path, I got a better solution that is incorporated in Res Gestae and the FRRE mods with good results. And does not require the revolt buildings.

Lethal Jakkson's Avatar Civis

theres a ctd in the german stables and barracks and possably parctice range when you click the unit types trigger is clicking units avalble and this is possabley a ctb for most faction I expirenced it a few yrs ago but then i got m2 an forgot about it can u point me in the direction of a solution cheers
    Working for myself for 3years and still finding time to play Total War

"power down now. Have your crew step out or we will kill you!" -
    Conl Sharp (Transformers)
    "wh
    at you talkin 'bout willis?"
    -Gary Coleman aka Arnold Jackson (Diff'rent Strokes)

hi,

each time i play rtr (regardless faction - happened when playin rome and bactria) a experience ctd around 192 BC. can anyone please provide some solution? many thanks

help! i got version 1.9 and the game keeps crashing whenever Illyria is destroyed!! i technically can avoid it but its REALLY hampering my roman campaign as i cant wipe them out! it doesnt matter what i do...occupy them, kill their generals...whenever they die it crashes and i want them destroyed! i tested by giving them another city and taking their old capital...but the same result. its not a problem with the city, just the faction itself!
    i cant find the official website for updates. please send me a fix or an updated fixed version so i can play without this bug!!
    i also have a bug that causes games to crash when i fight reinforcement battles, especially near settlements, when using huge unit scale. i solved it by using large...but i prefer it to be fixed too if u know of a fix. i heard it exists in the origina RTW but i dont remember seeing it there when i played it.