Thread: "Am I to accept a Broken Realm?" ~ Early Beta AAR [56k DEATH]

Default "Am I to accept a Broken Realm?" ~ Early Beta AAR [56k DEATH]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Faction: King on Dragonstone
    Goals:
    - Take the Iron Throne of Westeros
    - Take Storm's End

*Just a short AAR I'm trialing for a short campaign I'm going to play. The goals are all of my own invention (I don't think they have much to do with the victory conditions in the mod, but i like to set my own)*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------
    Part 1
    -------

Stannis Baratheon claims the Iron Throne of Westeros, as the young king Joffrey Baratheon is in fact a spawn of incest between his mother and her brother, Ser Jaime Lannister. Stannis springs into action, taking Duskendale and Rook's Roost. After being given a bloody nose before Rosby by the Hand of the King, Tyrion Lannister, and the Kingsguard Knight Sandor Clegane, Stannis returned with a bigger army and the help of a Jon Grandison (adopted character, although it's against my usual house rules to do so).
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Stannis's opening volleys on Duskendale's walls

Scratch one Kingsguard...

Descending on Rosby at night, a volley of boulders from trebuchets and fire arrows from his bowmen force Sandor Clegane's forces to rush to the defence, where Stannis's well trained levies crush them, eventually slaying Clegane at the doors of the keep. And after a naval battle with the combined fleets of Paxter Redwyne and the growing enemy fleet at Storm's End, Lord Stannis recieves reinforcements. He then proceeds to besiege King's Landing, defeating King Joffery in a decisive victory in a battle before the city. Tyrion Lannister is killed and King Joffery's army is routed. The king himself is killed in a popular revolt in King's Landing, which sees the toppling of his dynasty and kingdom. Stannis then has to contend with two large armies, one of Lannister troops led by the captain of their household guard, and another approaching enemy force. Stannis thoroughly defeats the Gold Cloaks, before hounding their captain Janos Slynt across the country. A second night battle with a strong force of hedge knights, freeriders and levies sees the end of hope for King's Landing. Besieging the city, the remaining defenders run from the walls, forming a defensive perimeter around the Red Keep. Even the Defenders of the Rock at the castle fail to stop the King on Dragonstone from claiming the Iron Throne. Stannis's elite troops cut through all resistance, ending with him firmly in control of King's Landing and a massive treasury.

One head, mis-shapen and newly missing a nose...

Joffrey is killed . His faction dies, as Tommen died earlier...

Janos Slynt runs away. Only survivor (hahaha!)

Stannis's mighty army

King on the Iron Throne

But all is not right. Redwyne and Renly's fleets, larger than the more experienced Dragonstone fleet, prowl the waters around Dragonstone. There is still war, with the power of House Stark ingathering to fight their way south. The Tully and Lannister forces are in a bitter stalemate, with the Lannisters entrenched past the Golden Tooth. Rook's Roost, Duskendale and Rosby are badly garrisoned, and Renly is sure to attack. Can King Stannis hold his ground?
    Last edited by stormbringer951; August 18, 2008 at 01:01 PM.

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

Default Re: "Am I to accept a Broken Realm?" ~ A Stannis AAR [56k DEATH]

-------
    Part 2
    -------

At the time of writing, King Stannis has four generals.

1) Lord Alester Florent, Lord of Brightwater Bay
    2) Harwood Tarth, a Knight of the Sapphire Isle
    3) Jon Grandison, a lesser son of House Grandison
    4) Aemon Wylde, a captain of Knights and a son of House Wylde.

Lord Alester Florent holds Dragonstone, and was surprised by the attack of House Arryn on Stannis's old seat. With reinforcements from Rook's Roost, Lord Alester defeated the Arryns. The reinforcements set up on the beach, and when the Arryns were concentrated on them, Lord Florent's sortie destroyed the siege equipment of House Arryn. The footmen overwhelmed the guard of knights and the Valemen were overwhelmed on two fronts.

Ser Dale Gower, bringing a force from Storm's End, attacked King's Landing. He was caught on the plains outside the city by Stannis's superior army and destroyed. Stannis's next move was to appoint Harwood Tarth, a faithful follower (but a bad soldier) as the governor of King's Landing and to take his army to destroy the usurper Renly. On the way, reinforcements for Gower were destroyed on the Kingsroad.

Meanwhile, Jon Grandison, the lieutenant of Stannis, stripped the garrison of Rook's Roost, Duskendale and Dragonstone to attack Stonedance. Suprising the beleaguered defenders, he captured the castle of Renly. With the prior besiegers (an Arryn army under Gilwood Hunter) bearing down, he attacked. However, the outriders and harassers of House Arryn whittled down the numbers of Grandison's army with debilitating attacks. Eventually making an assault with one in five of his men dead, Grandison managed to comprehensively defeat the Arryns, killing Gilwood Hunter and scattering his army at the cost of half of his own.

At this point, a force of loyal noble knights led by a Wylde joined Stannis. Hearing of a force of Renly's troops attacking King's Landing, the knight Ser Aemon Wylde split his troops, sending half of his knights to join Stannis and the other half in a surprise attack on the Baratheon pretender's besiegers. With a sortie from the city, King's Landing was freed.

Who dares defy the King on the Iron Throne?

Renly's first attack on King's Landing fails. horribly.

The Hero of the Hour!

Ser Aemon Wylde's soldiers, loyal to the true king Stannis, were rewarded and he was named to lead the defense of the north of Stannis's small kingdom. Meanwhile, Stannis pushes south towards Bronzegate and Renly...

As Stannis advanced on Felwood, Ser Jon Grandison led the remnants of his force from Stonedance (just in time, as in the next few months, Stonedance would suffer from the plague) to try and surprise Renly. Edric Morrigen, leading Renly's army, attacked Stannis's force between Felwood and Bronzegate. As always, Stannis drew up his forces in three ranks, spearmen in front, dismounted knights behind and archers behind both. The charging men-at-arms of the Stormlands met a hail of arrows, before crashing into Stannis's experienced levies. With a crushing counterattack from his battle hardened knights (mounted and dismounted), Edric Morrigen's army disintegrated, with their commander and many soldiers captured or killed. The survivors were duly executed by Stannis for treason.

Outnumbered 2:1 (by Med2's army strength calculation)

Armies setup...

Stannis's bowmen take a toll

Renly's men charge!

Stannis's knight counter attack

Edric Morrigen's army is overrun.

Edric Morrigen is captured.

Renly's men have lost!
    Last edited by stormbringer951; August 18, 2008 at 11:06 AM.

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

Default Re: "Am I to accept a Broken Realm?" ~ A Stannis AAR

-------
    Part 3
    -------

At the same time, an Arryn force attacked Duskendale. Stripping much of the King's Landing garrison, Ser Aemon Wylde and the governor of Stannis's northern holdings, Ser Harwood Tarth, led a force against them. They arrived just in time as the Arryns attacked the town. With siege ladders and a battering ram, fresh knights of the Vale scaled the walls and broke the gate. However, Wylde's knights crushed the besieging force against the walls with a surprise attack. Weary gold cloaks from the forced march entered the town from another gate, preventing the knights from overrunning the walls. None escaped alive. Harwood Tarth, the hero of Duskendale, died from his wounds.

Surprise!

Massacre... Poor Valemen

Poor Harwood Tarth

With Felwood taken in a night assault by Stannis and with his forces bolstered by Grandison's reinforcements, Stannis sallied out to battle. Ser Alyn Selmy and Jon Hasty, castellan of Bronzegate, forced a battle. Despite superior foot troops, the Stormlanders were routed by Stannis's more experienced soldiers, and his knights outfought and destroyed Jon Hasty's garrison, taking the castle.

Odds 1:1. Place your bets...

Surprise (not): Stannis wins. The bookies lose lots of money...

Meanwhile, the mighty fleet of Stannis Baratheon rearmed and recruited new men. It was experienced and deadly. All of Renly's burgeoning fleets were destroyed. Stannis reigned supreme. With Felwood and Bronzegate taken, King Renly's inexperience showed. As Stannis's depleted troops rearmed, he took command of the retreating army under Selmy's command and advanced. King Stannis ordered an attack, with a sweeping advance by his troops taking Renly alive.

I see a victory here...

^^

To execute or not to execute, that is the question.

Despite being a brother, and thus a Prince of the Blood, Renly was executed for treason. With this move, the way forwards to Storm's End - Stannis's birthright - was clear.

Guess what I chose?

Meanwhile, in the north, chaos reigned. Lannister armies were gathering in the Golden Tooth. The riverlands were recognised as a mighty military power, having fought the westerlands to a standstill and still having the military might to take Maidenpool from bandits and broken men. However, the insanity of Lysa Arryn meant an attack on Saltpans, Harrenhal and Dragonstone. Tully counterattacks proved useless, but Lord Alester's cavalry broke the Knights of the Vale at the gates of the keep of Dragonstone again. Harrenhal was taken and garrisoned by Arryn soldiers, and war flared up. Ravenwood, home of Tytos Blackwood, was besieged (briefly) before the Arryns were thrown back to Harrenhal. Tyrelll forces fought over the southernmost Westerlands, while Dornishmen issued forth from the passes, bleeding the strength of House Tyrell.

A sneak attack by Dornishmen bypassed Paxter Redwyne's mighty navy, taking the Arbor (and probably pouring the red water into the sea ).

A dozen Arryn raiding forces pressed forwards towards King's Landing. Ser Aemon Wylde's cavalry broke most, but not before a force loyal to Renly had made it to the walls of King's Landing. However, the Vale had sent a large army of elite troops towards Duskendale. With his cavalry tired and his troops scattered, Ser Aemon Wylde rallied his banners. All available troops would be sent to Duskendale to await the enemy, while a relief force would begin to assemble at Rosbly.

Meanwhile, King Stannis has laid siege to Storm's End. A direct assault would be suicide. The ballista towers, multiple walls and the cream of the Stormlands waited for him. And relief forces still loyal to the dead usurper were gathering. Renly's kingdom was in it's death throes, but it still resisted...

Stannis' bio at the moment (is he not awesome?)
    Last edited by stormbringer951; August 18, 2008 at 11:06 AM.

ASOS Spoiler

Does that Azor Ahai trait go away at some point since we know from A Storm of Swords that Stannis is not Azor Ahai reborn?

Awsome, and now go and kill the Lannisters for not bowing to the rightful king.

It's not a trait. I'm just remarking he has full command, dread, authority and half full piety . Good idea though

Yeah he is one kick ass King now!!! Are the Greyjoys doing anything at all? It didnt look like they have tried to expand at all yet.

No, they've actually lost Ten Towers to the Lannisters.

Any more updates on the campaign? Or are you moving on to another faction now?

Next update for Stannis coming soon...

That'll be the last one, and I'll up the next faction AAR. (perhaps in this thread, maybe a new one)

sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

-------
    Part 3
    -------

At Storm's End, Stannis's mighty army began it's siege. However, there are still forces loyal to the dead traitor, Renly Baratheon. Lead by Alyn Selmy, a group of elite troops guarded Storm's End. And more rebels attempted to break the true King's siege of his ancestral seat. Stannis knew that a direct attack on Storm's End was suicide. Ballistas and arrows would shower his troops and wreak an unholy slaughter among his veterans, and when he gained the wall at great cost, he would be forced to fight corridor to room in the keep. However, he welcomed a chance to defeat the garrison on the field.

However, with the attack happening at night, the commander of the garrison did not risk battle. Instead, the loyal troops and their commander were massacred by the followers of Rh'llor.

After the battle, Manfred Selmy, a brother of the traitor, brought his house into good graces by offering his hand to Cyrenna, Lord Stannis's second daughter. Stannis accepted the offer. In the Crownlands, chaos reigned, as Ser Elys Tollett led a besieging force towards Duskendale. However, Ser Aemon Wylde had guessed his intent, and had raised many levies at Duskendale. Ser Elys's indecision was his undoing, as with a strong force of cavalry and infantry, Ser Aemon attacked. His forces were outnumbered, but it was critical to destroy the siege equipment the Arryns had brought to prevent their elite troops from reaching Duskendale. With what little infantry he had, he advanced across the plain, suffering horrendous casualties from their crossbows. However a co-ordinated attack, with his cavalry and infantry hitting their line at the same time, proved to be useful, as it allowed Wylde's outriders to slay the siege weapon crews, ending the threat.

With only a bare handful of troops left, reinforcements arrived just in time! Hundreds of levied militia streamed from Duskendale, throwing the outnumbered and bloodied Arryns into a panic. Their general, Ser Elys Tollett, fell before the spears of the reinforcing troops.

With their general gone, the soldiers of the Vale retreated, leaving the field to Ser Aemon Wylde, the remnants of his troops and the garrison at Duskendale. A second Arryn force headed towards King's Landing. Here, they were stopped by Ser Manfred Selmy and the remnants of the garrison at King's Landing, much of it having headed towards Duskendale. Ser Aemon Wydle had sent a large force of levied troops back towards King's Landing when the news reached him of a second advance, and they arrived just in time. The Arryns were caught between the hammer and the anvil and their fleeing troops were cut down at the base of the walls.
    Stannis Baratheon finally led an attack on Storm's End, taking the great castle by storm. Stannis himself did not lead the assault, trusting it to a captain (I autoresolved, basically). With that, I accomplished my campaign goals, so I'm going to end this work in progress AAR at this point.

Stannis now controls the Storm's End and much of the stormlands. He now has claimed his birthright.

He has laid down his claim to the throne by conquering and holding King's Landing and the Crownlands from Joffery and the rebellious forces in the Vale of Arryn.

Stannis controls the mightiest fleet in Westeros, now easily capable of matching the Iron Fleet in battle.

Stannis has a cadre of lieutenants of iron loyalty, and he has captured and destroyed many rebellious lords. The Seven Kingdoms will be cleansed of traitors.
    Last edited by stormbringer951; August 18, 2008 at 11:09 AM.

-------
    Epilogue
    -------

The war is not over. The War of the Three Kings rages. House Lannister fights on despite the death of Joffery Baratheon. House Tyrell does the same in honour of Renly. Just a little view of what was happening in Stannis's kingdom at the end of the AAR. Hope you enjoyed viewing this

Dornishmen and marchers are in open war.

House Tully and Lannister bleed each other, with armies dying between the Golden Tooth and Riverrun.

The Greyjoys plan, and plot, and wait for one House to be weakened. They have forsaken the way of the green lands and will hold to the Old Way.

- Stormbringer
    Last edited by stormbringer951; August 18, 2008 at 11:10 AM.

Cool. Any more AAR's of different factions comming soon?

Probably not. Like I said earlier, this was just a run-through when I tried out the Stannis faction. If you look carefully at some of the screenshots, you can see it's still unpolished, and we haven't finished the skins for Stannis's faction (yet). And at the moment, I'm playing other games (NFS Porsche - retro ftw) so unless KingSlayer updates his, I'm sorry.

Well thats fine. I think Game had mentioned before it might be released before all the factions were completly skinned anyway. As long as the banners, generals, unit rosters, etc.are done than skins are just a nice bonus.

Its alot more polished at this point than was the goal when the mod first started anyway. It looks good to me. When Game first started I dont think he was even planning on skinning, if memory sreves me right from the Westeros forums.

When this comes out I am not going to get any research or school work done for a long time.
    Damn grad school

No, I don't think he was. Then the mod got larger. At some point, we decided to chuck out all the existing ancillaries and get our own (new ancillary system), LordSnow and Rayne and BattleDrumz started skinning. I got recruited as a text writer (as did TheKingSlayer before me) and aeoleron9, the last of the old team of modders, unveiled his awesome agents.

Gampie's Avatar Tiro

Indeed, originally I did not intend to have any faction skinned because it's beyond my capabilities. And then LordSnow showed me his Stark skins... wow, and the rest is history.

Default Re: "Am I to accept a Broken Realm?" ~ Early Beta AAR [56k DEATH]

thanks for the tyrell/greyjoy previews
    and king stannis the killer is raw

Default Re: "Am I to accept a Broken Realm?" ~ Early Beta AAR [56k DEATH]

Lulz. I just clicked "execute" and "exterminate" generally, and fought some larger mean armies early on.