Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bulgaria: Total war v2 RELEASED!!!!

delmat's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Bulgaria: Total war v2 RELEASED!!!!

downloading the mod and can't wait to play it..I'm from Croatia and I'm very glad that someone made a mod that focuses on Balkan region because neither original game nor other mod seriously included Balkans..greetings though you were our enemies back in 10th century hehe

Well i havent tried downloading mods before but im going to download this mod once i get home :p, sound awesome

I have a question first if you don't mind(might be interesting to know for other new guys to):
    If i download this mod will i easily be able to convert back to normall medieval total war(in that case how?)

+ 1 more, im not that renowned with the south-eastern european history, but i don't think bulgaria ever grew to become a mayor power did they?(just heard someone talking about bulgaria being way to strong in 2nd era...)?(havent tried and checked myself thoiugh)

alien_t's Avatar В Съединението е Силата

Quote Originally Posted by homesmasher View Post
    Well i havent tried downloading mods before but im going to download this mod once i get home :p, sound awesome

I have a question first if you don't mind(might be interesting to know for other new guys to):
    If i download this mod will i easily be able to convert back to normall medieval total war(in that case how?)
    Yes you will, very easy. The mod has installer and uninstaller. When you decide to remove it, simply double click on uninstaller, even I think(not tried) you should be able to play the mod along with vanilla.

+ 1 more, im not that renowned with the south-eastern european history, but i don't think bulgaria ever grew to become a mayor power did they?(just heard someone talking about bulgaria being way to strong in 2nd era...)?(havent tried and checked myself thoiugh)
    Since the establishing of the First Bulgarian Empire in 681 it grew significantly during 8th and 9th cent, to its biggest extension under Simeon I's reign(First Golden Age).

Then it declined and was defeated in early 10th cent by Romans(aka Byzantines) who rule almost the whole Balkans for approximately 200 years.

Latter in 1185 the Second Bulgarian Empire emerged in result of the rebellion as a successor of FBE. It grew again during the reign of Tsar Kaloyan who defeated the Latin Empire in a series of battles and reached it's largest borders during the reign of Ivan Asen II. After his death it declined again, mainly because of the Mongols/Tatars.

During the reign of Ivan Alexander(Second Golden Age) the situation was a little bit better, but a after his death Bulgaria was left divided into 3 rival states - the largest ones was based at Veliko Tarnovo, and the other at Vidin, ruled by Ivan's two sons. The third was based in Dobrudja(Principality of Carvuna) and ruled by despot Dobrotitsa. This weakness was used by Ottoman Turks who bring the Second Bulgarian Empire and Bulgarian independence to an end in 1396.

This is in brief.
    Last edited by alien_t; January 27, 2010 at 05:26 AM.
    Bulgaria: Total War - Mod For M2TW
    Check my Turnovo, custom settlement video preview or download it here
    Under the Honorable Patronage of B. Ward

"...We are Bulgarians and and all suffer from one common disease [e.g., the Ottoman rule]" and "Our task is not to shed the blood of Bulgarians, of those who belong to the same people that we serve" - Gotse Delchev, Collective memory, national identity, and ethnic conflict: Greece, Bulgaria, and the Macedonian question, Victor Roudometof, Greenwood Publishing Group, 2002, ISBN 0275976483, p. 79.

"The Bulgarians, these are the people, who had everything they wished for. A nation, where the one who buys the nobility with the blood of the enemy receives titles..." - Magnus Felix Ennodius, description of battle at Margus
    (Morava) river 505 AD

well il disagree a little on the first era, but i forgot about ivan's time and i totaly withdraw all i said about 2nd era(1200 aprox) due to i know they expanded through whole greece and had a lot of areas.
    thanks for reply though m8, you seem ver enlightened(i guess about the first era there's a difference on what we learn in the different countries, but at least i learned that until around ivan's time bulgaria never played any mayor part in the history during and after the antic(from norway )

(but then again we learn that a norwegian viking was first to discover america)

gogo t's Avatar BULGARIAN

well il disagree a little on the first era, but i forgot about ivan's time and i totaly withdraw all i said about 2nd era(1200 aprox) due to i know they expanded through whole greece and had a lot of areas.
    thanks for reply though m8, you seem ver enlightened(i guess about the first era there's a difference on what we learn in the different countries, but at least i learned that until around ivan's time bulgaria never played any mayor part in the history during and after the antic(from norway )

Heh Bulgaria played played huge role in world history.... You shold know that bulgarian khan Tervel saved europe and byzantine empire form the Arabs.

On 25 May 717 Leo III the Isaurian was crowned Emperor of Byzantium. During the summer of the same year the Arabs led by Maslama crossed the Dardanelles and besieged Constantinople with 200,000 men. According to Arab sources his fleet consisted of 2,500 ships.
    Leo III plead to Tervel for help relying on the treaty of 716 and Tervel agreed. The first clash between the Bulgarians and the Arabs ended with a Bulgarian victory. During the very first stages of the siege the Bulgarians appeared in the Muslim rear and large part of their army was destroyed and the rest were trapped. The Arabs built two trenches around their camp facing the Bulgarian army and the walls of the city. They persisted with the siege despite the severe winter with 100 days of snowfall. In the summer of 718 the Arabs engaged the Bulgarians in a decisive battle but suffered a crushing defeat and had to abandon the siege. According to Theophanes, the Bulgarians slaughtered some 22,000 Arabs in the battle, while Zigebert accounts for 30,000. The Bulgarian victory of 718 and the victory of the Frankish king Charles Martel in the battle of Tours stopped the Muslim invasion in the interior of Europe. Khan Tervel was called the Saviour of Europe by his contemporaries.

If that's not major role in european history and this is only an example
    MORAL

delmat's Avatar Tiro

hehehe most of the things is the true, bulgaria was truly a regional power, but you don't mention Bulgarian defeat in 926. when Croatian king Tomislav defeated Bulgarian emperor's Simeon's army croatia was also a power in the west balkans in the 10th century..I'm sorry because there is no Croatia in the mod because it's not focused on early middle ages..but mod is very good

Quote Originally Posted by delmat View Post
    hehehe most of the things is the true, bulgaria was truly a regional power, but you don't mention Bulgarian defeat in 926. when Croatian king Tomislav defeated Bulgarian emperor's Simeon's army croatia was also a power in the west balkans in the 10th century..I'm sorry because there is no Croatia in the mod because it's not focused on early middle ages..but mod is very good
    There are some historyans in bulgaria, who say that Bulgars and Croats are relatives, because they emerge on european map in nearly the same period
    MORAL

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Ivan who? Especially from "the first era" (which I guess you mean the First Bulgarian Empire period (632/681-1018), in which the only "Ivan" I can remember is Ivan Vladislav, the last ruler who didn't really achieve anything. Or you maybe mean Ioan Asen II, in whose time our second campaign starts (though before his success in the battle of Klotonitsa and thus before his great expansion)? In that case, while he may arguably be considered the greatest Bulgarian tsar from the times of the Second Bulgarian Empire, you're missing quite many others who were greater or at least just as great. F.e. (1) Tsar Samuil, one of the last tsars of the FBE who at times had an even bigger empire than (2) Tsar Simeon, also called the Great (though in a sense he was greater than Samuil because of his Golden Age of culture, religion, constructions and warfare). Not to mention that the largest territorial extent of the FBE actually seems to be around the 840s in the times of Khan Persian (quite neglected ruler, unfortunately). And I won't (ok, I will) even mention f.e. Khan Krum, in whose time Bulgaria was one of the only 3 actual empires in Europe (besides the Romans/Byzantines and Charlemagne's Frankish Empire). Heck, I can actually say that Bulgaria was a far, far greater power during the FBE, long before Tsar Ioan Asen II.

P.S. If you want a very brief (though a bit patriotic) look into Bulgarian medieval history, which is a rather light read, I can "self-advertise" this series of ten comic-books about ten Bulgarian medieval rulers, which I've translated to English last year. I'll point out again that they're rather patriotic (it was somewhat of a campaign to have the children become interested in history) and a few the things are incorrect (or at least I disagree with them).

Edit: @Gogo and Delmat - There is a thesis that the Croats (and even the Serbs) were also originally a Sarmatian tribe that mixed with the local Slavs, so I guess that would make us "double-relatives" if it's true. And, yes, the battle of the Bosnian Highlands is Tsar Simeon's last war (though Bulgaria was already quite exhausted by that time) and the only one he lost. It might have even been a factor for his death that followed soon afterwards.
    Edit2: @Gogo - a common mistake is to put the "blame" for the repulsion of the Arabs from the Second Arab siege of Constantinope solely on Khan Tervel and the Bulgar's help. While it was indeed a major factor (f.e. Michael the Syrian writes that the Arabs "feared the Bulgars more than they feared the besieged Romans" and that "the Arabs were afraid of retreating: first - because of their king, second - because of the sea and third - because of the Bulgars") we shouldn't forget that the Roman navy with its Greek fire (i.e. what, in my opinion, Michael the Syrian means by "the sea") also played a very important part in keeping Constantinople safe (even if most of the Arab fleet was destroyed by a storm on the way back). And also one of the other really important factors - the weather and more specifically the extremely harsh winter for which the Arabs were simply not ready.
    Last edited by NikeBG; January 27, 2010 at 12:29 PM.

delmat's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by gogo t View Post
    There are some historyans in bulgaria, who say that Bulgars and Croats are relatives, because they emerge on european map in nearly the same period

yes I also think that there is some kind of true in all that you have the similiar language like us, I mean most of the slavic nations have the same language, but bulgarian and croatian are really very similiar..some of my friends went to visit bulgaria and they sad that you look and talk very much like croatians I mean the Serbs are most similiar to us, but I think that there is even more similiarity between croatians and bulgarians than the serbs and croatians..love how you kicked their asses in almost every war you fought against them through history best regards..

delmat's Avatar Tiro

yes NikeBG you are right..we won the battle because King Tomislav lured the bulgarian army on the hilly and mountainus bosnian terrain..bulgarians were fine horsemen and one of the mightiest army in europe at that time and would have probably slaughtered us in the open field, but we were better in the mountainous warfare, we won the battle though both sides suffered high losses..yes I think there is true in that "sarmatian" thesis..croats and serbs were probably iranian speaking or sarmatian tribe which mixed with the local Slavs, Avars, Illyrians, Goths and all kind of people that inhabitated western Balkan, because Croats came to these areas in 7th century and in that time some slavic population lived here already so we, serbs and bulgarians are definitely not 100% slavic..I think both our nations are from the same root let say so..only difference is that you have some asiatic roots about horsemanship and such and we don't..croatia never had numerous cavalry, we were mainly infantrymen and we had solid navy to fight against the venetians..

Yeah, I like croatians verry much, too. Nice people.
    NikeBG- Yes, Tervel didn't crush the Arabs alone, but he was the main factor in mine opinion...
    MORAL

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

you have the similiar language like us, I mean most of the slavic nations have the same language, but bulgarian and croatian are really very similiar..
    Croatian to me seems pretty much the same as Serbian (which is close enough to Bulgarian, I guess, though I still don't understand it fully (though I admit I haven't heard Croatian enough to make a clear opinion yet)). On the other hand, the first time I heard Slovenian, I thought a Bulgarian from abroad is talking - the sound of Slovenian and Bulgarian is surprisingly close (especially since I don't know of any connections between us).

P.S. Gogo, what fascinates me about the 718 siege is the unknown reason for the Bulgar intervention. Many people believe Khan Tervel was called by the Byzantines due to the treaty from 716, but the 4 preserved clauses from that treaty contain no such obligations (IIRC, they were about trade stamps, exchange of political refugees and keeping the borders etc). True, we know there were much more clauses that aren't preserved, but we don't know them today, so thinking that the Bulgars were obliged to help Byzantium is merely a speculation. So we can also assume the Bulgar intervention was due to Khan Tervel's (or Kormisosh's) own will. It's an interesting thing that Kormesiy (which some believe to be the same Kormisosh) might have actually helped Byzantium in fighting the Arabs in Asia Minor (Akroinon) again in 740. It's also interesting that the Khazars, and respectively the Bulgars under their rule, also offered a heavy resistance against the Arabic invasions of the Caucasus. Makes you wonder if we didn't take it a bit personally or it was just a coincidence of time, place and opportunity...
    Last edited by NikeBG; January 27, 2010 at 01:47 PM.

When it comes to Tervel (assuming it was during his reign, as there is some debate on that) and the Arabs, hardly anyone can deny the fact the Bulgarian ruler showed up with a large army when it was really needed. Just like Ian Sobieski centuries later. This much we know - the Bulgarians came to help the Romans and as a result the Arabs lost a giant army, with the Umayad Caliphate collapsing soon afterwards.

delmat's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBG View Post
    Croatian to me seems pretty much the same as Serbian (which is close enough to Bulgarian, I guess, though I still don't understand it fully (though I admit I haven't heard Croatian enough to make a clear opinion yet)). On the other hand, the first time I heard Slovenian, I thought a Bulgarian from abroad is talking - the sound of Slovenian and Bulgarian is surprisingly close (especially since I don't know of any connections between us).

yes Croatians and Serbs can understand each other without any problem..at least 90% of the words are exactly the same and we also lived in the former Yugoslavia where we had serbo-croatian joint language in use..but there are still some differences between former nations of yugoslavia..I can fully understand Serbs or Bosnians, but not Slovenians or Macedonians for example except they don't talk very slow..I knew some bulgarians and when they spoke slowly I understand most of the things..every slavic language is similiar to another but serbian, croatian and bulgarian are more similiar than croatian and ukrainian for example..if nations had family connections like real people I think that croatians and bulgarians would be close cousins we are very similiar because of language, racial look, history, music, traditions and folklor ways and such..for example in southern croatia (I'm from Dalmatia) we have traditional slavic folk singing like you have in some parts of your country..

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Quote Originally Posted by Kavhan Isbul View Post
    hardly anyone can deny the fact the Bulgarian ruler showed up with a large army when it was really needed. Just like Ian Sobieski centuries later.
    Or just like Teoden and the Rohirrim during the siege of Minas Tirith. Which, btw, some people believe might have been inspired exactly by the Bulgar arrival in 718, since Steven Runciman's "History of the First Bulgarian Empire" was released several years before Tolkien started writing LotR.

for example in southern croatia (I'm from Dalmatia) we have traditional slavic folk singing like you have in some parts of your country..
    Oh, that's interesting. Do you have any examples?

delmat's Avatar Tiro

pretty cool mod i hope you add more factions in the future
    9/10

alien_t's Avatar В Съединението е Силата

Thanks mate. Yes we plan to add more factions, but in the dark age era.
    Bulgaria: Total War - Mod For M2TW
    Check my Turnovo, custom settlement video preview or download it here
    Under the Honorable Patronage of B. Ward

"...We are Bulgarians and and all suffer from one common disease [e.g., the Ottoman rule]" and "Our task is not to shed the blood of Bulgarians, of those who belong to the same people that we serve" - Gotse Delchev, Collective memory, national identity, and ethnic conflict: Greece, Bulgaria, and the Macedonian question, Victor Roudometof, Greenwood Publishing Group, 2002, ISBN 0275976483, p. 79.

"The Bulgarians, these are the people, who had everything they wished for. A nation, where the one who buys the nobility with the blood of the enemy receives titles..." - Magnus Felix Ennodius, description of battle at Margus
    (Morava) river 505 AD

eliza08's Avatar Tiro

Very nice mod!

Just asking why the custom battles crash when I start them?

Thanks

Bagatyr's Avatar Campidoctor

Dalmat you are rigth man we have tha all most tha same traditions and songs wow !

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast