Thread: Can't save/load game in ExRM

Default Can't save/load game in ExRM

Hey, I downloaded the ExRM mod, extracted the .rar to the RTW folder so its in its own ExRM folder, then copied the contents of the patch over those files. I changed the shortcut with the mod to point to the correct place, and the mod is playing fine. However when I come to save the game, its greyed out. I feel like I remember people having these problems before, but my search didn't return any helpful results. Sorry if its obvious, but do you know what the problem could be? I have RTW:Eras with alexander installed.

Default Re: Can't save/load game in ExRM

First, if you're using Alex.exe instead of RTW-BI.exe, you're going to have problems if you don't edit the EDU like Quinn describes in his download post. I don't know what those problems would be.

I have noticed that I cannot save when I have started a campaign, then quit it, then started another. I was looking at the various start conditions to decide what I wanted to play. When I settled on one, I couldn't save or load.

My solution was to exit the game and try starting the campaign again. It worked fine for me at that point.

I'm not currently using Alex.exe, but I will try that now using the info he posted.

I tried restarting a few times and one of them came up with an error but I closed without realising - I'll try and get that again if I can, it said something about poeni... thats all I remember unfortunately.

decimator22's Avatar Vicarius

That has happened with me but very rarely I just restart the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom.. View Post
    I'm not currently using Alex.exe, but I will try that now using the info he posted.

I tried restarting a few times and one of them came up with an error but I closed without realising - I'll try and get that again if I can, it said something about poeni... thats all I remember unfortunately.
    I'd recommend getting it working right with RTW-BI.exe before trying to get it to work with Alex.exe. That way you'll be limiting the potential set of potential problems.

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Not sure what your poeni error is...is it fully patched?

As for being unable to save or load, that's a script error. Did you remember to click and start the campaign script? The script does work, but if it's not initiated properly you might have that problem.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Yeah it was something to do with the script - whats the best way to activate it? Sometimes it does it itself and I can't save or load, while other times I click the advisor a few times and it works properly. Also it says that you should click the show me how button, but you can't? Is that meant to happen?

I got it to work, sometimes it takes a few restarts to do that though.

That's weird. Maybe the script doesn't process in the same way with Eras? It sounds like you're getting failures of script sections to terminate, but it should be working perfectly. I mean, if it were broken, everyone's game would be completely unplayable.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

I've had the script get half-loaded before (I notice it because the snow gets wonky). Clicking on one of my towns brings up the advisor. When I click on the advisor, it seems to complete the progress.

I've also a few times had what looks like every event fire in the same turn, probably also due to a partially complete script execution. When it's happened, the date has been something like 180 AD. I've just reloaded my game and made sure that the script has loaded by clicking towns.

Those are the exceptions, however. The vast majority of the time the script works flawlessly for me.

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

If my memory serves me, the campaign script does not finish until you End Turn. The monitors it uses to figure out unit size wait for the FactionTurnStart event.
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

Fascinating. I may need to put that in the FAQ section. Thank you.