Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Welcome mat thread

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Default Welcome mat thread

Ave!

Welcome, reader, to the Extended Realism Mod forum. We're pleased that you've chosen to join us, and we hope that you'll stay awhile.

This is our introductory thread and, as such, feel free to use it for introductions. I'll start with me. My name is Quinn Inuit, and I'm the person currently in charge of the Extended Realism Mod for RTR Platinum. I didn't develop it, but I always enjoyed playing it. When Candelarius decided to move on, I offered to take over the mod to keep it in development. He accepted, and with a lot of help from various cool people over the years we've kept it going. IRL, I'm an attorney, but I also have a grad degree in U.S. history.

Ok, enough about me. Who are you?
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Finn's Avatar Total Realism

Default Re: Welcome mat thread

Congrats on the sub-forum Quinn!

I've been playing RTR since sometime around the 4's or 5's(can't remember exactly) I recently tried my hand at EXRM, and I've been having a blast with current German campaign.

Quinn has done a terrific job with his additions and tweakings in EXRM, and if you're like me and are/were sick of the constant spamming of full stacks of Macs in Vanilla Platinum. Then this is the mod for you.

I like the lower stack density. One side effect of that is that unstable regions like Asia Minor and Greece often wind up with very different masters. I really like that.

My personal favorite change is that the longer build times mean that I have way less busy work on any given turn. That in turn makes me less frustrated with big empires.

Indefinitely Banned

Hey Quinn, nice one on the the sub forum - it's long overdue.

I guess that ExRM is my Platinum mod of choice at the moment, and I'm still fighting the Roman campaign that I started using 3.3.1 (now I read that there's a 3.3.4 in the pipeline!) But I'm going to persevere with it until the Mediterranean is a true "Mare Nostrum (only the Tollies to go now - lol).

While Candelarius may have started this mod, you are to be thanked and congratulated on keeping it alive and developing it.

Congratulations for the new sub-forum, but I was expecting you`ll get it next to the Imperator and TIC ones. Here it might be harder to find. I suggest that you move the old all in one thread back and leave a big bolded note with a link to this sub-forum in both the first and the last posts. Might help people to find it easier. Good luck!

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by florin80 View Post
    Congratulations for the new sub-forum, but I was expecting you`ll get it next to the Imperator and TIC ones. Here it might be harder to find. I suggest that you move the old all in one thread back and leave a big bolded note with a link to this sub-forum in both the first and the last posts. Might help people to find it easier. Good luck!
    I'll second the motion matey. I think ExRM deserves to be more accessibly placed in the main RTR Forum.

Thanks, guys!

I see what you mean. Ok, I'll ask Trajan if he'd mind moving us.

Update: Yay! He went for it!
    Last edited by Quinn Inuit; July 22, 2008 at 07:50 PM.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

Congrats Quinn on your forum.

I have a question, I hope you dont mind. Is your mod a "mod switch" version?
    I have RTR PE 1,8 on my machine, but I fancy a new challange. So if the answer is yes, I'll be downloading asap and the RTR team will have to do without me for a few weeks
    Semi-Retired RTR Developer and Researcher
    Dont get into a fight if there is nothing to win

Indefinitely Banned

Hehe - ExRM certainly is a "mod switch" but if you think you're gonna be given time off to play - think again buster! There's peeps waiting on VII, so get on with it.

I would be cross about that, Tony, but I'm one of those peeps. How about a compromise: you play ExRM _and_ code for VII, but you don't sleep. Sleep is overrated anyway.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit View Post
    I would be cross about that, Tony, but I'm one of those peeps. How about a compromise: you play ExRM _and_ code for VII, but you don't sleep. Sleep is overrated anyway.
    Hehe - I wouldn't worry, CS ain't gonna pay a blind bit of notice to what I say. If he wants to play, he'll play.

Sleep! Who's got tme for sleep? It's 3:30 am here at the moment and I'm still beavering away. Well awright! I'll 'fess up. I haven't been exactly working, but mod-whoring off period with TheFirstONeil's, Teutonic Grand Campaign mod, which is proving to be a good bit of fun. No! I haven't deserted from Rome, but I like a change every now and then.

I would reply, but Im too busy playing ExRM coding.
    Semi-Retired RTR Developer and Researcher
    Dont get into a fight if there is nothing to win

Delvecchio1975's Avatar Primicerius

I've been playing EXRM since 1975. This mod (and RTR in general) is what makes RTW the best game available at the moment.

Hi, I'm Delvecchio, and I'm an addict.

[handclapping] Hi, Delvecchio. [/handclapping]

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Delvecchio1975 View Post
    I've been playing EXRM since 1975. This mod (and RTR in general) is what makes RTW the best game available at the moment.

Hi, I'm Delvecchio, and I'm an addict.

[handclapping] Hi, Delvecchio. [/handclapping]
    Here! Here! Not all addictions are bad!

I agree. Hi Delvecchio!

Ave friends. I am glad to have found this new place to read about ExRM (my favorite computer game). I am a high school science teacher and girls basketball coach in Texas. I am an addicted history buff and have always been very fascinated with the period that this game represents. I am looking forward to reading all of your comments on gameplay, development, etc. I am anxiously awaiting the newest and most glorious updates! Quinn Inuit and the rest of you have my admiration and gratitude for your work on this project. May the barbarian arrows always be safely deflected by your magnificient Roman armor!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorceri View Post
    May the barbarian arrows always be safely deflected by your magnificient Roman armor!
    But, my arrows! And why am I wearing this silly metal armor!

Greetings all,

I am a systems analyst at a law firm in Chicago. Prior to becoming an ExRM user I was a frequenter of the XGM. Like vanilla RTW, I got tired of the phony-boloney huge army stacks running rampant and moved over here.

I humbly assisted QI with beta testing and came up with the idea for the Greek Colonization minimod. I created a Proof of Concept and QI took it from there, doing tremendous amounts of research, modding, and gameplay testing. I really enjoy playing the GCS as just that, city-states. No mixed unit stacks and I rarely allow them to assist one another. I even send them off in different directions for colonization (except the Spartans - I keep them at home to protect Hellas).

Currently, I am running a Roman campaign, but I flip between them and the GCS typically.
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said, 'I drank what?'"

Icon3 Re: Welcome mat thread

Caldarium, Your campaign sounds like a lot of fun! When the new version of ExRM comes out I am gonna start one with the Greeks and play the city states as you have indicated.

I love those kinds of campaigns. That's one of the reasons I jumped on his offer to flesh out the city-states. The best part is that the architecture can be easily changed to work with any set of city-states (so long as Sparta's in there...that'd be tougher to remove). Caldarium did some great work.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast