Thread: A "Couldn't find region name '*' in stringtable"

EarendilElenthol's Avatar Artifex

Default A "Couldn't find region name '*' in stringtable"

Lo all,

I fear I need your help. I try to mod the Teutonic Kingdoms map, and with the first region I add I already get a CTD
    The last lines of system.log.txt are:
    02:25:24.110 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/teutonic/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_battle.txt is missing
    02:25:24.110 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/teutonic/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map.rwm is missing
    02:25:24.110 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/teutonic/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map.rbm is missing
    02:25:24.110 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/teutonic/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map.wfc is missing
    02:25:24.172 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/teutonic/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 672, column 1
    Couldn't find region name 'Nyland_Region' in stringtable
    02:25:25.641 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    I have looked already at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=177880 and checked those files for brackets and faults over and over again.
    Could someone please help?

imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt:
    (....)
    {Zubstov}Zubstov
    {Zubstov_Region}Zubstov Region
    {Nyland_Region}Nyland
    {Borga}Borgå
    descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt
    (...)
    Tosno_Region
    Tosno
    Nyland_Region
    Borga
    descr_regions.txt
    (...)
    Tosno_Region
    Tosno
    novgorod
    Rus_Rebels
    255 223 242
    furs
    religions { catholic 15 orthodox 75 pagan 10 islam 0 heretic 0 }
    Nyland_Region
    Borga
    denmark
    Norse_Rebels
    66 47 85
    furs
    religions { catholic 70 orthodox 20 pagan 10 islam 0 heretic 0 }
    as you can see, I gave Finland - Abo another RGB

descr_strat.txt
    (...)
    type barracks town_watch
    }
    }

settlement
    {
    level village
    region Tingvalla_Region

year_founded 0
    population 718
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator denmark
    }

settlement
    {
    level village
    region Nyland_Region

year_founded 0
    population 720
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator denmark
    building
    {
    type core_building wooden_pallisade
    }
    }

character sub_faction hre, Wikerus, general, male, age 28, x 23, y 44
    army
    unit Mailed Knights exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    (...)
    Last edited by EarendilElenthol; July 21, 2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: More details

Serious J's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: A "Couldn't find region name '*' in stringtable"

Did you delete the descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt.bin after making the changes?

Also doesn't look like you added a line break in-between Tosno and Nyland in the descr_regions.txt, add an empty line below the religion info for Tosno.
    The strange days are coming.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Have a look here and you will find that you have changed the 'triumph value' to 1. It needs to be 5 (until proved otherwise)

I did delete the descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt.bin after making the canges (ehm, I copypasted it to another map) and I just copied Tosno, as far as the descr_regions is concerned, only with another name. So I thought that would be right, why is it that the pre-made regions can have value 0 and the self made can't?

Edit:
    13:04:03.500 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/teutonic/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 673, column 1
    Couldn't find region name 'Nyland_Region' in stringtable
    13:04:04.062 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

I changed the value to 5 and added a line inbetween Tosno and Nyland
    Last edited by EarendilElenthol; July 22, 2008 at 06:04 AM.

Blog Entries

Are you working with a sub mod (provincial campaign)?
    Otherwise my guess would be the RGB doesn't match the color on the map_regions file.

I tried to mod Kingdoms Teutonic campaign, btw there are a few things in it by default that shouldnt be possible, eg black pixels next to water. Maybe there are other rules for Kingdoms campaigns then for Grand campaigns=

03:41:35.333 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_FE.tga is missing
    03:41:35.333 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_saxons.tga is missing
    03:41:35.333 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_slave.tga is missing
    03:41:35.333 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_FE.tga is missing
    03:41:35.333 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_slave.tga is missing
    03:41:35.334 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/leader_pic_england.tga is missing
    03:41:35.349 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/leader_pic_england.tga is missing
    03:41:36.850 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map.rwm is missing
    03:41:36.850 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map.rwm is missing
    03:41:36.850 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_battle.txt is missing
    03:41:36.851 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map.rwm is missing
    03:41:36.851 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map.rbm is missing
    03:41:36.851 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map.wfc is missing
    03:41:36.870 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 1014, column 1
    Couldn't find region name 'Carolinas' in stringtable
    03:41:38.807 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

I'm having this issue, too.

Blog Entries

Carolinas is from the americas campaign. Which is a default campaign and shouldn't have this problem.

Can you confirm which mod you are playing?

The main Grand Campaign. I'm adding Carolinas to the "North America" region. I just draw the region, add the settlement just East of the Appalachian mountains (where it's clear of height), and debug to make sure it's good. But nothing. It crashes when I hit "Start". Also, I'm confused on the files Geomod comes with, and the ones the main game has. I unpacked M2TW, and I can mod it directly. Because if I use Geomod, it doesn't crash, but what I added isn't there

Let me clarify that more.
    There are two folders in which I can select for Geomod to work on.
    The folder "M2TW files" under Geomod, and the main "Medieval 2 Total War" folder in the "Common" folder from Steam. (Yes, I have the permissions to change the files. I made sure of that over a year ago for other games, and double checked just yesterday for this)
    And the color of the region is as it is supposed to be from the Geomod numbers and the numbers in the descr of the region

Blog Entries

When you create a region in Geomod the files that get edited are not restricted to map_regions and descr_regions. Further files are descr_strat and imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings
    While the descr_strat entry is not essential as the game creates a settlement with default settings otherwise (see that village in the South of Egypt in vanilla) the string.bin is required.

The M2TW_files folders have been provided if you wish to to work on the campaigns and main game without unpacked them. Simply copy their content in the relevant campaign folder and start using Geomod. Your changes will however not 'take hold' unless you start the kingdoms campaigns with a BAT\CFG combo where the kingdom campaigns are concerned. Simply copy those from Bare Geomod and adjust this line in the CFG file to the campaign folder's name:

mod = mods/Bare_Geomod

Then start the campaign with the BAT file, create a desktop short cut to it by right clicking it and choosing 'send to\desktop'

If you are doing changes in the main campaign then there are multiple draw backs (editing the default CFG and making it read-only to have changes take effect is one of them) and I would suggest to use Bare Geomod instead - it's the main campaign with known bugs removed and it is set to be used as a mod.
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 11, 2017 at 10:17 PM.

I've been having several issues with editing regions. The only thing I have been able to accomplish is resizing. In an attempt to figure out what I was doing wrong, I stripped everything down to vanilla and started with the basics, such as changing the name of a region. I have used the unpacker. I have used a strings.bin converter to access the .txt of imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names. I have changed the names of the London Province and City to simply "Lond_Province" and "Lond" (it's just a test name) in descr_regions, descr_strat, and imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names. I tried deleting imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin, map.rwm, map_heights.hgt, descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt. I have tried reinstalling the game. Despite all of this, I still am getting the error "Couldn't find region name 'Lond_Province' in stringtable".

What am I missing?

Blog Entries

The game generates a new stringtable (the string.bin file) from the TXT file of the same name - hence you need to edit the names accordingly in the TXT file, then delete the STRING.BIN file and start a new game to generate the new stringtable.

Alternatively you can work with the BinEditor by opening the STRING.BIN file and editing it directly, then saving it. Note: 'importing\exporting' files in BinEditor will work with the TXT files.

To try out your modding skills I would suggest to make use of my basic modding set up.
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 07, 2018 at 01:02 AM.

I know this is classic prolems but I haven't before dvd game. Than I buyed from steam and I live this problem. I did everthing wrote here. but I still take only in stringtable error

descr_regions
    Dongola_Province
    Dongola
    egypt
    Saharan_Rebels
    42 232 77
    ivory, slaves
    religions { catholic 0 orthodox 10 islam 80 pagan 5 heretic 5 }
    Ankara_Province
    Ankara
    turks
    Anatolian_Rebels
    6 236 87
    jihad, crusade
    religions { catholic 0 orthodox 15 islam 80 pagan 3 heretic 2 }
    descr_sounds_music_types
    music_type middle_eastern

; turks
    regions Tbilisi_Province Yerevan_Province Caesarea_Province Baghdad_Province Iconium_Province
    regions Mosul_Province Edessa_Province Adana_Province Antioch_Province Aleppo_Province
    regions Acre_Province Jerusalem_Province Jedda_Province Ankara_Province
    descr_strat
    settlement
    {
    level large_town
    region Ankara_Province

year_founded 0
    population 4000
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator turks
    building
    {
    type core_building wooden_wall
    }
    building
    {
    type barracks town_guard
    }
    building
    {
    type market corn_exchange
    }
    building
    {
    type hinterland_roads roads
    }
    building
    {
    type city_hall town_hall
    }

}
    descr_mercenaries
    pool Anatolia
    regions Smyrna_Province Iconium_Province Isle_of_Cyprus Trebizond_Province Caesarea_Province Nicaea_Province Ankara_Province
    imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names (I deleted .bin text)
    {Zagreb_Province}Zagreb Region
    {Zaragoza}Zaragoza
    {Zaragoza_Province}Zaragoza Region
    {Ankara}Ankara
    {Ankara_Province}Ankara Region
    I hate this
    19:46:49.395 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 1014, column 1
    Couldn't find region name 'Ankara_Province' in stringtable

Blog Entries

If you have modded the main game then the game will not read the string.bin file (it's originally a packed file) unless you tell the game to do so via an entry in the CFG file. Modding the main game is not advisable for several reasons - this is one of them as you need to make the CFG read only which blocks any further changes of in game options remaining valid.

My suggestion: install my Bare Geomod set up. It's the grand campaign with a number of fixes and designed to be a mod set up with the most basic files. It also enables the use of the Geomod tool. Once installed copy your edited files into it and then start the mod via it's desktop shortcut.