Thread: Interesting site on Scottish battle dress.

Default Interesting site on Scottish battle dress.

Only found out through this forum about the whole Scots not wearing kilts in the middle ages thing and got curious.
    Recently found this site:

http://swordforum.com/articles/histo...ic_soldier.php

Perhaps some of you have already come across it.
    It`d be great to see future versions of this wicked mod with similarly cloaked units in it.
    Not sure when they started sporting those cloaks though. NOT kilts mind you but the cloaks. The site refers to the 14th/15th centuries. I assume they were wearing them earlier. Correct me if I`m wrong or maybe you know of a site that deals with an earlier timeframe...

Can`t wait for version 3.

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Interesting site on Scottish battle dress.

Hey Servius....You are quite right this is a rather good site. I hadn't come across it yet, but had been to other sites.

Version is ready with a few exceptions which I'll add in a Patch. Still waiting on something from The Bruce, and maybe some unit cards from Plonkdog, then that's it.

It will be uploaded to 2 sites next Friday night GMT 1900hrs.

Wicked! That`s about 4am here I think. Fortunately I`m a nightowl so I`ll be hanging out for it.

Interesting site but unless someone were to make us a new set of models we will continue to use the vanilla Highlander models with reskins.

When it comes to realism I am more interested in geographical, political, economic and strategic accuracy than the battle fashions of the time. However perhaps one day we could have highland units that better reflect the period.

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by The Bruce View Post
    Interesting site but unless someone were to make us a new set of models we will continue to use the vanilla Highlander models with reskins.

When it comes to realism I am more interested in geographical, political, economic and strategic accuracy than the battle fashions of the time. However perhaps one day we could have highland units that better reflect the period.
    Exactly the point Bruce....especially when we have that BIG Map up and working, that's when I'll seriously look at getting a campaign AI mod to the game.

Hopefully, I can finally tempt Xeryx into doing it for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Servius Tullius View Post
    Only found out through this forum about the whole Scots not wearing kilts in the middle ages thing and got curious.
    Recently found this site:

http://swordforum.com/articles/histo...ic_soldier.php

Perhaps some of you have already come across it.
    It`d be great to see future versions of this wicked mod with similarly cloaked units in it.
    Not sure when they started sporting those cloaks though. NOT kilts mind you but the cloaks. The site refers to the 14th/15th centuries. I assume they were wearing them earlier. Correct me if I`m wrong or maybe you know of a site that deals with an earlier timeframe...

Can`t wait for version 3.
    Kilts were not even used until the 16th/17th centuries. I don't know what CA got in their minds when they gave highlanders kilts.

Quote Originally Posted by A1_Unit View Post
    I don't know what CA got in their minds when they gave highlanders kilts.
    Braveheart?

Regardless, we have kilted highlanders and unless we get models to replace them then we will keep them.

Maybe one day I'll learn how to do skins well and then I'll see if I can help with the kilt problem.

Skins are not the issue. It is the models the skins go on that we would need.

Wilddog has made some excellent models/skins that can be seen here.

However this is very low on our list of priorities at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bruce View Post
    Skins are not the issue. It is the models the skins go on that we would need.

Wilddog has made some excellent models/skins that can be seen here.

However this is very low on our list of priorities at the moment.
    Those look good. In RTW skins were more important. Are they less important in Medieval 2?
    Last edited by A1_Unit; May 30, 2009 at 08:38 AM.