pic by Prasa
Knights Templar Minimod
for Stainles Steel 6.1
Current Version: v0.5 beta
(based on Point Blank's Real Recruitment)
Download Link: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2038
Highly Recommended - new Templar & Jerusalem unit cards + missing Jerusalem's cards:
1. Install Stainless Steel 6.1 clean, without any additonal options ticked during installation.
2. Install Point Blank's Real Recruitment, version RR for SS 6.1, found here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=162997
3. Download Knights Templar minimod, and extract it into Medieval2 Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data folder, overwriting all files.
4. Report all errors, suggestions and thoughts here.
5. Enjoy playing!
7. of Nine.
Note: if you see strang text, like "placeholder here" or something similar, go to the Medieval 2 Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data\text folder and delete the following files:
Optional files and other mods' compatibility
- SSTC+RAJ Version: Install SSTC + RAJ, then Templar Minimod as described above (from Step 3, of course). Download the patch at the end of this post and extract it into the Medieval2 Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data folder, overwriting all files. (Thnx to Firebat11 for fixing the modeldb file)
- Perfectly Polished v3.0: Install PP 3.0, as described in their thread. It already contains Templars minimod, so only install the Wrong Text Fix from THIS POST and follow the instructions within.
- Battle for the Baltic: Install SSTC+RAJ, then BftB SSTC+RR version following their instructions, then Templars minimod following the above instructions (from step 3) and finally THIS PATCH.
- Tsarsies' Garrison Script v1.0: Install Templars minimod in regular fashion, following above instructions, then apply THIS PATCH over the existing files.
In Development thread
Spoiler Alert, click show to read:
The Story of the Mod
Basically, I was not satisfied by the unit roster of a Templar faction in early era campaign. Most of the units were "stuck" in high-era, limited to mail/partial plate armour, and it lacked the professional and better equipped units from the late medieval/renaissance era. As this game is a game of changing history and what-ifs, I feel that the guys who established banking system and were outrageously wealthy, if they survived past 1312., would use the most advanced stuff available. Use of heavy knights, in heavy mail (at it's peak - 12/13th century) and reputation of one of the best mounted knights in known world, justified that notion.
To balance them, and also give them a bit of historical accuracy, I've increased their units' cost significantly, so they would field lower numbers, but superior quality, opposed to vast numbers, but somewhat lower quality of muslim armies.
Besides unit changes, I'm also working on new models & skins, which should better reflect the armour type, social status of the soldiers, and generally I'll try to make them feel more like a faction which not only relied on heavy knights in white surcoats, but also on various local & european mercenaries, volunteers and levies. My Knights Templar are not only a Templar faction, but more like a faction encompassing all christian Outremer, or Crusader States (they still start with only 1 castle - Tortosa - though, and will have a tough time in early game).
Changes in the Mod
- Some changed skins and minor adjustments on the models.
- Most of the units have completely new set of weapons, done by me , and also some new shield and helm textures.
- Added new units - Templar Sword Militia, Dismounted & Mounted St.Lazarus Knights, Rhodes Palace Guard, Solomon's Temple Guard, Templar Praeceptors, Lancers of St.John.
- Existing units added to Templar roster - Holy Sepulcher Knights, Voulgier, Pikemen, Armenian Archers.
- Almost all other units previously in Templars' roster were changed, i.e. stats adjusted, added armour upgrades etc.
- Deleted Templar Squires and Pisan and Genoese Sailors. Templars and Jerusalem both have new, low-tier units as militias or early field soldiers.
- Changed the recruitment options and availability of Templars' units. Now all units become available at a proper dates, as per Real Recruitment rules. Don't expect to see plate armour in 1200.
- Templar's Guilds no longer buildable by Templar faction. All their units moved to castle buildings. For other factions, they still have to build chapterhouses to recruit them.
- Swordsmith Guilds give a bit better bonuses, but still not melee upgrade as in vanilla M2TW.
- Also, all Templar sword units now give proper bonuses for building of Swordsmith's Guilds.
- Pilgrims and Pisan/Genoese Sailors removed from mercenaries list.
- Added remarks for historic events which "unlock" new armour, weapons and units in the Real Recruitment system, so now players know when they become available.
- Adjusted unit descriptions, and also added JaM's idea for showing the available armour upgrades.
Important Gameplay Notes
Since this mod is based on Point Blank's excellent Real Recruitment mod, all his rules apply.
- First heavy mail Templar units available at late 12th century, all other at cca. 1200.
- Partial plate cca. 1275.
- Full plate cca. 1380.
- Advanced plate cca. 1440.
- New weapon types like halberds, pikes, steel crossbows etc. (but not gunpowder) cca. 1300.
Unit costs and availability is based on RR's unit type system. I suggest you read the first post in his thread for more info.
Some units are recruitable only in certain provinces and after some conditions have been met:
- Rhodes Palace Guard can be recruited only in Rhodos and few provinces around, and only if the Rhodes is captured.
- Solomon's Temple Guard and Holy Sepulcher Knights are available only in Outremer, and after Jerusalem has been liberated.
- Lose Rhodes or Jerusalem, and those units are not available until you recapture them.
Thanks, Credits and stuff
This mod has been done mainly by me, Lord_Calidor, however many other guys have helped with an idea, suggestions or actual help on modding.
Thnx go to:
Creative Associates & SEGA
TWC forum team
mr. Velimir Vuksic and his Husar magazine
Broken Crescent team
... and all other guys who have participated in discussions in Development thread of this mod.