Thread: New CPU or Video Card?

Hey Evyerybody
    I've got around $600 to spend on computer upgrade and i was wondering what you guys reckon would give me a bigger improvememnt in speed, A new CPU or video card?
    In the CPU market I was thinking a Asus AV8 Delux S939 with Athlon64 3400+ for about $550
    or
    A new X800Pro AGP

My current system is a Athlon 2100+ with 1Gb Single channel 400MhzRAM and 9600se

Why don't buy a GF6800GT ?
    it should be better than X800

Proximus's Avatar Nothing To No One

Well since your current CPU can't fully take advantege off such a powerfull Vid card, I recomend that you to first buy a new CPU and later a new vid card.
    I belive that you'll need somewhere around 3.0 Ghz to realy let that vid card work at full speed, if you have a CPU bellow 3 Ghz it will become a bottleneck hindering the vid card.

Under the Honoured Patronage of Quintus Maximus Adopted by Valus
    Bestows Patronage upon NobleNick

The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved.

Absolutely new CPU, those components should be good

Vid card later, meanwhile you could clock your current one (or does 9600SE have passive cooling? Then it's no for the clocking )
    Historia Vitae Magistra.

visigothe's Avatar Biarchus

im gonna sugest that if you are planning on getting a new cpu, video card and mobo in the near future you get PCI-e 16x

i would also recommend the AMD 64 (socket 939 but with only 600 bucks you will prolly have to settle for the 754 which isnt that bad to begin with) and a nForce4 chipset
    all the tech nerds i know tell everyone to go that route

plus you can get a 6600 GT PCI-e for about 200 bucks and the 6800 GT PCI-e for around 430 bucks right now

Outlined against a blue, grey October Sky the four horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as famine, pestilence, destruction and death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden.

I just got an Asus K8S-MX with an AMD 64 2800 and 1GB PC3200, and an ATI 9250 with 128MB. Before I had an Athlon 2600XP and 512MB of PC 2700 RAM. I don't recall the motherboard offhand, and it had a really old SiS video card, although it did have 128MB. The difference between the two systems is incredible. Before when the intro videos started up they were choppy, and the sound would cut in and out. When playing the game, my mouse got progressively more lag until it was nearly impossible to play. Now everything works the way God intended it to. Total cost of new system, including shipping was about $500. I just slipped my old hard drives in and off we went. I did have to reinstall Windows, which was a pain as it takes so long, but that was it.

No, that isn't a banana

600 US?
    you can definitely get an AMD 3200+ S-939 as well as any PCI Mobo for under 600. in canada a 3200 + DFI PCI board costs under 500...

MeKtHep's Avatar Semisalis

i just bought a ati radeon 9600 xt ( WOOOT WOOOT ) core speeed 500 WOOT WOOTTT

180 EUROS thats 150 dollar :O

further my pc is a asus mother bord (kind i dont no)
    768 ddr ram
    2 80 gig maxtor disk working ****** 1
    etc etc
    and i run a amd 2800 procc but i am thinking of getting a 3200 + athlon for like 120 euros

" Tell Them In Sparta " That we obeyed our orders to the last man

600 Aus Acctually
    Thanks for the help guys I think i 'll go for the new CPU
    I was leaning toward that one anywayz...

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

Originally posted by OTZ@Feb 23 2005, 01:50 PM
    600 US?
    you can definitely get an AMD 3200+ S-939 as well as any PCI Mobo for under 600. in canada a 3200 + DFI PCI board costs under 500...
    what's up with those canadians? Why do they get cheaper stuff than me :angry

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

MeKtHep's Avatar Semisalis

its not just canada
    me here in holland getting everything for the import price of the shop cause i know the people work there it simpley kosts me -30% of the REAL price

Catch You On The Flipp Sideeee :cool

" Tell Them In Sparta " That we obeyed our orders to the last man