Thread: Toughest faction you have fought against!

Default Toughest faction you have fought against!

WRE for me when I have played against them as the romano british + Constantine 3rd. Endless expericenced armies kept on coming from Italy and causing me loads of casulties. Saxons are pretty weak in Britan.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Default Re: Toughest faction you have fought against!

I originally thought the Sassanids were the toughest when I played my ERE empire but then discovered the advantage of light cavalry and choke-points. I self-imposed a no artillery rule outside siege situations as these were not standard battle doctrine in the later Roman period and that certainly hindered my ability to crush them spamming Sass armies!

Dash's Avatar Miles

Definitely the Sassanids... no freakin' contest.

Big, rich, and they have a crap-load of armies on the field at the beginning.

Any of Franks, ERE, WRE or Sassanids, because any of those can develop large and powerful empires/armies. WRE seriously pissed me off, huge stacks of elite troops EVERYWHERE in my Imperium Constantini (VH/VH) game, possibly the hardest campaign I've ever played as a result. It was a nightmare.

However I have not played ERE or Sassanids yet, although invariably one of those wins and becomes an eastern superpower.
    I cheat'd once (map, just out of curiosity) and there were literally about 15+ stacks of ERE troops in the east, I pity whoever had the responsibility of dealing with those (while I can typically field only 3-4 stacks of serious troops).

I've yet to see the huns get strong yet, which is something of a disappointment.

The huns don't ever seem to do much in any of the campaigns i have played. I thought on my ERE campaign they would be sieging my settlements constantly but nothing.

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Sassanids-no disputing that.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

Quote Originally Posted by Gen.jamesWolfe View Post
    Sassanids-no disputing that.
    I will.

Have you played Picts VH/VH? No?
    Do it. You will see. Romano British will rape you and there will be little (read: NOTHING) you can do, even winning heroic victories against them in forests isn't even close to enough. Their economy is great (and their troops absolutely lethal) and both your economy and army are, well, crap. I'm yet to beat them VH/VH; it is simply impossible.

WRE can overwhelm you as Imperium Constantini, even if you take out Franks/Allamanni/Burgundii early (also challenging in its own right).

Ostrogoths have it tough, but their strategy is ultimately to simply survive until an opportunity to occupy Italy comes up.

Also I found Sassanids only moderately challenging in my recent ERE campaign (real men play vh/vh). Seriously, compared to Imperium Constantini and (particularly) the Picts, it was a cakewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by seriousbusiness View Post
    I will.

Have you played Picts VH/VH? No?
    Do it. You will see. Romano British will rape you and there will be little (read: NOTHING) you can do, even winning heroic victories against them in forests isn't even close to enough. Their economy is great (and their troops absolutely lethal) and both your economy and army are, well, crap. I'm yet to beat them VH/VH; it is simply impossible.

WRE can overwhelm you as Imperium Constantini, even if you take out Franks/Allamanni/Burgundii early (also challenging in its own right).

Ostrogoths have it tough, but their strategy is ultimately to simply survive until an opportunity to occupy Italy comes up.

Also I found Sassanids only moderately challenging in my recent ERE campaign (real men play vh/vh). Seriously, compared to Imperium Constantini and (particularly) the Picts, it was a cakewalk.
    actually, you'd be surprised at the number of factions I play. my only roblem is my attention span is very low, so i only settle on fction tha i find intereting, n this case the roman ones. so the answer to Q1: yes, only as a test though. so I kow it is difficult. I find the sassanids more challenging because of teh sassanids having 100 cavalry in their army units, while I only mustr 50 in a similar units. considering he way i fight (as most in the EB tavern will tell you), that leves me horribly outnumbered in a cvalry fight. Constantini and picts don't havethe immedat threat of thosands of cavlry, and once one is able to secur enoug of an army(in my case=cavalry (armor don't matter mind you)), they shouldn't be that bad.

besides, that as only an opinion of mine, you don't have to be a jerk abot abot it.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

I find the sassanids more challenging because of teh sassanids having 100 cavalry in their army units, while I only mustr 50 in a similar units.

Constantini and picts don't havethe immedat threat of thosands of cavlry, and once one is able to secur enoug of an army(in my case=cavalry (armor don't matter mind you)), they shouldn't be that bad.

besides, that as only an opinion of mine, you don't have to be a jerk abot abot it.
    Okay, firstly as the picts and Constantini you will not be 'mustr'ing any troops whatsoever. At least not for a long time. And secondly, the Picts get rap'd with excessive rapidity in a most horrifying manner.

Okay, firstly as the picts and Constantini you will not be 'mustr'ing any troops whatsoever. At least not for a long time. And secondly, the Picts get rap'd with excessive rapidity in a most horrifying manner.
    Serious wins....not only are the picts uninteresting to me but their position and economy probably sucks.
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable Bolkonskij

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748
    "By purple death I'm seized and fate supreme."- Julian the Apostate

I know I won't. I never said I start out by recruiting; merely secure the border, then after that, start building.
    but I guess you are right. Picts win out as the hardest. now you need to convince the team at IBFD.

Picts win out as the hardest. now you need to convince the team at IBFD.
    They're changing them to Gaelic tribes. I can't wait to see the rebalancing. Generally balancing is really good otherwise (although I'd like to see the huns stronger and the sassanids a little weaker, maybe slightly buff the Constantini since they're always wiped out quickly. Possibly nerf WRE too).
    Otherwise it is a great mod in every other way.

Greatest Enemy? Hands down, the Huns. Don't get me wrong, I beat them, but those horse archers...*shiver*

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cursed View Post
    Greatest Enemy? Hands down, the Huns. Don't get me wrong, I beat them, but those horse archers...*shiver*
    Yes, but the Hun AI is never agressive enough to be a major problem. As ERE I found them almost 'docile'. They rarely take cities and if they do that doesn't really matter too much. As Ostrogoths, though, they nearly destroyed me many times. That faction is hard, caught between 3 major powers. Going into horde is not an option. Tactically, though, those Horse Archers are quite deadly.