Thread: Britannia dual/invisible family tree...

Default Britannia dual/invisible family tree...

Ok this is a strange but interesting bug that someone may or may not have encountered.

I started an Irish Britannia campaign, and as most of you know, you get like 3 or 4 generals that are outside the royal family tree. Everything is going fine (Well, besides crappy vanilla AI), when i notice that a son comes of age. At first I assumed he was a son of one of my family members, but then i notice that hes not in that list. Then i notice he has the same last name as one of my generals. It clearly says "family member" beside his name instead of "general". Well, whatever i kept on playing and not paying much attention. Throughout the game i noticed getting marriage proposals to daughters not in my family tree. Ok accepted. Yada yada a bunch of stuff happened, i'm winning , yada yada, its turn 120 and my current Faction leader is not even listed in the family tree. That's right. He's a descendant of one of my generals. Isn't that interesting.... It seems like i have an "invisible" family tree as there are about 4-5 "family members" not officially listed in my "official" family tree.

I would also like to note that I am aware that you can get a "man of the hour" proposal if a general gets a heroic victory, therefore adopting him. I did not do this.

Anyway, just an observations. Feel free to comment or share similar experiences.

Edit: this also explains why my royal family members aren't giving births. They're dying out while the other family line is taking over.
    Last edited by Soul Forge; July 13, 2008 at 05:52 PM.

Default Re: Britannia dual/invisible family tree...

Apparently they separated the historical figure in the faction description into 2 people, or the description is wrong. The king supposed to be Brian O'Connor. Instead we got King Brian, and general Connor, with a wife but not part of the family, but again can be in line to become the king. I had seen something like this in RS I think, but I modded myself there and here to make them to appear in the tree.

Oh, Scotland has the same problem, since it has only the king, then Patrick Dunbar, the first General appear in the descr_strat file become the heir, with the possibility to marry and produce a line of family members but not appear in the family tree. I just gave him a dead wife, and some children for King Alexander, and not accepting any adoptions to him, you can see who is the father on top of the pop up page.
    Riddle me this, riddle me that:
    Who was my first commander?
    How many of me are active right now?
    And who drank a Delacourt '27 when received the commandership of me?

Interesting. Well, i guess this whole thing can be summed up to "someone screwed up at CA"

They may actually have a Teutonic "family" system, where your best generals are nominated as faction leaders/heirs instead of the direct descendants of the royal family. Whether this is a screwup or CA did it intentionally, I dunno.
    "People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

In Soviet Russia you want Uncle Sam.

Well the fact that the family tree was "behind the scenes" and that it was not my best general that was nominated suggest that it was unintentional

KoS's Avatar Dux Limitis

This same thing happened to one of my Irish campaigns... and in a couple of campaigns in MIITW after an apparently botched installation. After the disc broke, I got a copy of Gold Edition and I didn't have that problem thereafter... :hmmm:

Probably a bug of sorts.
    R.I.P. God Save The King (2008-2013)

Okay super old thread but I figured I'd chime in. Currently playing the steam version, as the Irish, and can confirm the bug is still present. I figured maybe the disk version was bugged (I didn't play steam till 2013 so was using the m2tw disc for about 6 or 7 years there), but after starting an Irish campaign and having an "off the tree" family member come of my age in my capital, I can tell you the bug is still there. While this has never happened in any of my other Britannia campaigns, this happens frequently with the Irish.

The character that came of age is an O'Brien, who apparently was the son of one of your generals that you start with at the beginning. I don't remember his first name, but he's old when you start out (around 55) and is based in Cork. I know there are a few other generals you get too, a MacCarthy and somebody else. Still, only ever happens with the Irish.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

There is no teutonic family tree in the campaign. The reason is the dual family tree set up, example ireland:
    Code:
    relative    Brian O'Neill, Jill, Domnall O'Neill, end
    relative    Connor O'Brien,    Ceara,    end
    O'Neill is the 'official' tree whereas O'Brien is a 'secondary' tree. No idea if it is intentional, but it works as intended - it's simply not used normally.

The earlier mentioned scotland however is straight forward, not even a surname:
    Code:
    relative    Alexander,     Margaret,    end
    Here the aforementioned heir issue comes into play as Patrick Dunbar, being the second character in descr_strat, becomes automatically the heir as no heir is defined otherwise. No such problem with ireland as Domnall O'Neill is the second character but still not defined as heir, just a related trait which does not automatically makes him heir.
    Last edited by Gigantus; January 12, 2019 at 12:39 AM.