Thread: Can anyone PLEASE help.

Default Can anyone PLEASE help.

I'm not here to knock anyone's work, just looking for some help, so with that said, I'll start with the basics, I had an 8 GB SS data folder alone, I had done a ton of modding to it, added many sub mobs, always careful to back up in the case of a cross conflict.

So I decided to give the 'text overhaul mod' a try, as the thread on it stated it was now BYG III compatible. I had two backup's of my data folder alone, so backup's of the text files where abundant. I installed the mod, and while the changes where nice, they broke BYG III. (yes I renamed the files for BYG compatibility yet it still didn't work for me)

Basically I've lost the fation zeal trait, the war council triat, there are still war council retuine, but moving the curser over it, reveals no text... Don't even get me started on the ingame problems with recruiting.

Ok then, no big deal right, I liked the mod, but it was an astetics vs. tactics trade I wasn't willing to make... I have back up's, 60 second problem to fix right? wrong. I've spent two day's now trying to fix this to get BYG III working again. I've replaced the SS text folder, I've replaced the entire SS data folder, no luck. So I tried my core Medieval II game, to see if perhaps I made a mistake and put the files in the core text folder, but the game loaded fine, no text mod. Ok, so then I uninstalled SS completely, certain files where left over, and I manually deleated them, I then reinstalled 6.0/6.1 and the few base sub mods I always use, still seeing the text mod, still BYG is broken. ? ? ? So I uninstalled, and tried a basic 6.1 install, no sub mods, and the text mod is still showing, and BYG is still broken.

How is it I can unisntall, deleate the entire SS folder, reinstall, and still be getting this mod showing up? Regular Midieval II and Kingdoms play fine, it's only when I try and load up SS. Does anyone have any idea wat I can do? Is it a cache issue? Where is the game cache? I'm at a loss, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Can anyone PLEASE help.

Not an answer, but might point you in the direction of one... check out the .bin files. The game creates them from the .txt files. Sort of like the map.rwm or whatever that one is you need to delete when you mess with the map.

Not much of an answer but hope it helps you somehow.

WRL
    What I always do is install the mod to a different folder and check out what files installs/updates. In this case I am guessing it has updated the main data folder as well as the SS one.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

But wouldn't regular Medieval II loading up fine rule that out?

WRL
    No, as it would just have updated text info in it.

Paul Ehrlich

Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    WRL
    What I always do is install the mod to a different folder and check out what files installs/updates. In this case I am guessing it has updated the main data folder as well as the SS one.
    I always do to, for some reason winrar always errors on me, unless I extract to a folder on my desktop. The Mod simply updated the text in SS, and I don't see the text changes when I load up vanilla M/II, or kingdoms, and even though I've uninstalled SS, and deleted what was left, and reinstalled SS, I'm still seeing the the text mod, when loading SS. I was thinking if it was in the M/II core files I'd see some of the text changes when playing vanilla right?

I've had games in the past that load certain files into chache and if their causeing conflicts that can be a problem, anyone think this could be my issue, or anyone have any idea, I'm at a loss here.

WRL
    If you have uninstalled SS and deleted the folder manually, cleaned out your regristry and then installed SS again, there should be no way that the text mod files are coming back.

If you have a list of the files updated I could upload the 'vanilla' SS versions for you and then you can over-right.

Paul Ehrlich

It's weird right... I've already gone nuclear with it, uninstalled M/II and everything, reinstalling from scratch.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Are you running Vista? If so, then there are "compatibility files" that Vista (in it's infinite wisdom) stores elsewhere that you have to delete.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

yes I am using Vista, I just did a complete reinstall, M/II, Kingdoms, all the patches, SS 6.0 etc. etc. and I'm still getting the text mod.

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    yes I am using Vista, I just did a complete reinstall, M/II, Kingdoms, all the patches, SS 6.0 etc. etc. and I'm still getting the text mod.
    Then it's these compatibility files that are your problem.

where are they?

I can't say for certain as I don't use Vista but this is what others have said:

Medieval II folder
    Look at the top of the window for a button that says "Compatibility Files"
    Press the button
    Not sure exactly what this does as I (thankfully) still use XP

ahhh there's the cache! thank you, I bet that's gonna fix it, God I hope...

nope deleted the cache and it's still there...

there, I've uninstalled everything, went back, deleted the folder, and compatibility files, and will try a reinstall... :crosses fingers:

WOOHOOO!!!!! + rep for you, thank you deleting the compatibility folder did it!!!!

It wasn't in the cache folder, but in another, I assume it reverts the text for quicker access... ?

Glad you got the problem fixed