Thread: PCI EXPRESS OR AGP?

hi guys , i want to buy a video card , but i have a question , i have seen some video cards that are PCI EXPRESS , this video cards are more powerful that AGP videocards like ATI RADEON PRO 9800???? and which can help me to play better rome total war????? a ATI RADEON 9800 PRO AGP 128 MB 8X OR A PCI EXPRESS 16X ATI x600 256 mb????? this PCI EXPRESS is more cheaper!!!!!!!

please help me , please :rolleyes

Decanus

PCI Express.

Sam's Avatar Civitate

I heard that PCI-E is only better in that it allows you to stream uncompressed HDTV. I'd go for the PCI-E card.
    BTW: MilkCarton, your avatar is damn hypnotic, every time I look at it, 5 minutes of my time vanishes.
    "A voice, in my dream, spoke to me from a fountain of light and racial purity:" - DrakKassleron

"I was tortured by evil terrorists working for Saddam's evil regime when I was only five years old." - DrakKassleron

"When I imagine Drak, I imagine an axe murderer who has yet to find his axe." - RusskiSoldat

Make sure your motherboard has a pci-e 16 slot before you go out and buy a new card. It is different from your regular pci slots.

NOOOOOO, DON'T BUY X600XT....

it is crap, only remake of 9600xt !!!

Originally posted by Hadrian's Nightmare@Feb 22 2005, 12:41 AM
    Make sure your motherboard has a pci-e 16 slot before you go out and buy a new card. It is different from your regular pci slots.
    As the man says - it ALL depends on what motherboard you ALREADY have. It will be EITHER AGP OR PCI-E.

If you are buying a new system then go for the PCI-E, but make sure everything is compatable.
    ...but I think Germany with home advantage will raise their game as always for the big ones and win the title. Post #260

mmmm , so is true , and this PCI EXPRESS will run faster all my games or only rome total war?????? and i dont understadn why this better video card is cheaper that an AGP video card like ATI PRO 9800 , someone know????

sombralux's Avatar Civis

Like said before, the x600 sucks, its a tuned 9600xt, kinda like the crappy mx series nvidea got. So best u get the 9800pro
    or wait and saves some more bucks and buy a decent pci card, eg 6800 or x800

Don't buy a 9800Pro, it's already old and over-prized in it's class! Buy a 6600GT instead.

And like everyone said, mother boards have EITHER AGP OR PCI-E (DON'T mess PCI-E with PCI&#33, so if your motherboard is even old a year or so, you most likely have an AGP supporting mobo. It's not fun to buy a fancy new card just to notice that it doesn't suit to your computer :p

PS. Don't buy anything of X600- or 9600-series, they are already old and not worth the money. Like I said, the best med-prize card is the 6600GT, if you want PCI-E, it's X700XT.

PS. Just because the X600 has 256mb memory, doesn't mean that it is faster than for example a 9800Pro. Only the high-end cards have good enough memory interfaces to be able to use the spare 128meg wisely. Just made sure that you know that the MB's don't count anything!
    Historia Vitae Magistra.

Listen to what they said. I bought an AGP for my PC the day Rome came out. Imagine my disappointment when I found out my new PC had a PCI-E not AGP slot. It was however worth it in the end though, the PCI-E is faster than the AGP and I got an ATI 800X and Rome looks so good and runs fine with everything set to max detail.

PS. Although I recommend the 800X it will not do your bank account any good :><

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

Go PCIe if your motherboard supports it. The big motherboard companies are trying to phase out AGP. Supposedly the X800XT is the last AGP card ATI is gonna produce. But, the biggest difference is PCIe allows the use of SLi(two graphics cards). But NVIDIA cards are the only ones that are SLi compatible right now.

SO, if you&#39;re building a system and are poing PCIe, the NEXT question is do you want SLi or not. If so, you&#39;re stuck with NVIDIA cards.

This is what I recommend:
    AGP-6800GT -best performance per dollar
    PCIe(1 card)-X800XT
    PCIe-SLi-2()6800 GT&#39;s -unless you have the money for two Ultra&#39;s and a 480W PSU.

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

I would get AGP for right now. Games aren&#39;t optimized for PCI E right now.

I use and ATI 9800 pro that I&#39;ve had for a while now and it runs RTW perfectly on maximum detail so I don&#39;t see the point of buying a PCI express video card unless you already have a PCI-E motherboard. Simply put, if you already have an AGP board, buy an AGP card. People have said which cards are the better choice for each motherboard style (PCI-E or AGP) so just figure out which one you want and then do some research. As long as you know exactly what your buying, you can never go wrong. Good luck.

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

Well said.

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

mmm , well , i want to make a new computer , so i can buy a motherboard that support PCI-E slot , but for my money agp ATI RADEON 9800 PRO is so expensive :>< , its good to me buying a PCI-E card???? and if i buy a ATI RADEON agp , is there one which cost less money but with good quality to play????? help me ,

sorry for my english

Why is the 9800Pro so deep in people&#39;s minds?

6600GT&#39;s are cheaper and more powerful&#33; And they come both in AGP and PCI-E, meaning whatever motherboard you have (elder or newer), just as long as you buy the corrct version, it fits your system.

9800Pro&#39;s aren&#39;t simply worth buying nowadays. I don&#39;t mean it&#39;s not a good card, I mean you get a lot better, and the most important, cheaper.

PS. There are no real differences between the AGP and PCI-E speeds, for example a 6600GT is AS FAST in AGP and PCI-E. PCI-E gives no real speed advatage nowadays, so don&#39;t bother buying anything PCI-E.

If you really, really want a Radeon AGP, cheaper than 9800Pro, buy a 9600XT, it&#39;s as powerful as X600XT. I still don&#39;t recommend buying one, save your money for a 6600GT&#33;
    Historia Vitae Magistra.

Clibby's Avatar Praetor Maximus

I got the XFX 6600GT and I love it. It handles Rome great, better than I hoped for. Plus if your into overclocking it is really easy to do using coolbits. The only downside is that the fan is VERY loud, but the quality is better, so it evens out.

Winner of the Tech Award 2005 at www.TotalRome.com

Under the patronage of apparently nobody since they cant keep their citizenship!!!