Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: In nomine sucks...

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

Default In nomine sucks...

I think I am not a very good gamer, but generally I can deal with difficulties.
    Difficulties made by In nomine are a little bit over the top.

-you cant recruit mercenaries instantly anymore..why? whats the difference then?
    -pirats and rebels are uber-strong...
    -decisions are good but liqueur decisions dont really solve my problems...

There are some good ideas like I can see whether they like my offers or not but...

I tried with Holland in 1579. The game says "its an interesting choice"

Oh yeah, its a sucking choice..
    Once I made peace with the Spanish (I had to as they have 100 times the upper hand in numbers) everyrone rebelled against me, my allies did nothing, Austria attacked me out of the blue

By the way scorched earth tactics did not stop my enemies even for a second...
    I think I gonna uninstall this curse. I can accept defeat but this game will not give me any chance if I am with little countries and start with a war going on already.

Plus I can imagine what it feels like having a rebellion as England in North America with millions of supermen rebells...
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Default Re: In nomine sucks...

Well I think no instant mercenary armies isn't a big deal, it would be hard to assemble 10,000 mercenaries together in one day.

The rebels aren't too hard unless you let them get out of control, that's one of the big challenges in IN, to keep the mass rebellions from starting.

I played a full game as England (from 1399 to 1750 when I decided to stop) and had all of central america and a third of North america the whole time, sure sometimes territories came and went with rebellions, but since I managed to keep massive discontent from arising, my empire didn't crumble like Spain and Portugal's did.

I really like IN, I just started a game as Burgundy in 1430 or so (to start at war with France) and finished the war after four years, being allied to england the whole time and defeating superior forces by attacking them when they were divided and pursuing them til they were crushed.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Serious J's Avatar Decanus

I have to disagree with you, IN is in fact the bees knees.
    The strange days are coming.

tco's Avatar Ducenarius

two words: war exhaustion, keep it down. Also play at a lower difficulty level I , I play at Very Easy because I keep my self in check and do not go on world conquering sprees.

I agree. Bring back the braindead ai of total war and the overpowered playable battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkarbiter View Post
    I agree. Bring back the braindead ai of total war and the overpowered playable battles.
    I didnt say that.
    The AI is still dumb, he just spawns armies. But after you beat out the crap of him, he just thinks he will give you 1 province in far, far away...

I admit playable battles are missing for me, since they are better to achieve success. In battles of numbers essentially, with some luck, war is more of a gamble.
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Odovacar View Post
    I didnt say that.
    The AI is still dumb, he just spawns armies. But after you beat out the crap of him, he just thinks he will give you 1 province in far, far away...

I admit playable battles are missing for me, since they are better to achieve success. In battles of numbers essentially, with some luck, war is more of a gamble.
    So the AI is dumb because they don't give you all their provinces when you beat them in a war? The AI in IN is far better then any other game I have played.

Ragabash's Avatar Mayhem Crop Jet
    Civitate

Have you tried the game with easier settings? I have not tried IN yet (waiting for MMP) but in the case you find the game less enjoyable perhaps you should play on easy or easiest settings.

Just a suggestion.
    Under Patronage of Søren and member of S.I.N.

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    So the AI is dumb because they don't give you all their provinces when you beat them in a war? The AI in IN is far better then any other game I have played.
    You know I beated out the French from Canada/North America, and my troops conquered Normandia, Paris, half of France. My navy crushed his navy entirely.

Still AI thought he can retain his canadian provinces despite suffering total defeat..that sounds dumb to me.
    In the reality the french lost Canada and the english didnt even need to conquer Paris for that.

Of course, Ai is still pretty good compared to some game's AI, but its diplomacy is no exactly clever.
    I hate to complain, but..they should have worked on that instead of implementing worthless decisions...

Of course I use easy settings for hard challenges, however, I think succeeding with Holland in that 1579 scenario may only work for the best players out there...
    Last edited by Odovacar; July 13, 2008 at 10:12 AM.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

That is not dumb actually...:hmmm:

If AI crush me, I would want to limit the damage too... Besides, not signing any peace treaty create problem for your enemy too, since they need to spend a lot of upkeep for garrison, need to deal rebels (which is a lot) and need to prevent a backstab.

Conclusion: not signing peace treaty is dumb, but also a brilliant plan since defeated country has nothing lost for not signing peace treaty, and there is a big chance someone would help you win back the war (either rebels or someone else).

Still AI thought he can retain his canadian provinces despite suffering total defeat..that sounds dumb to me.
    In the reality the french lost Canada and the english didnt even need to conquer Paris for that.

Of course, Ai is still pretty good compared to some game's AI, but its diplomacy is no exactly clever.
    I hate to complain, but..they should have worked on that instead of implementing worthless decisions...
    I end up having to give in to the AI's refusal and take what I can, you never get to take a ton of their land. If you remain at war your war exhaustion will rise, people at home will be discontent and you'll end up facing a lot of rebellions. Because of this you have to give in and just take a couple provinces per war.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Yes, but I wonder they dont get war exhaustion and rebellion because of that?

IMO aside from the provinces defecting to weird nations IN is a great game.

The rebels are not that difficult and the pirates are easy to deal with as a small nation if you just simply have one ship. Make sure they patrol your coastling and they will never appear.

You just have to be careful on how quickly you expand or the rebels will overwhelm you if you are a small nation.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Huh, I haven't noticed anything like that really. The AI is far more reasonable than it was in vanilla. If all else fails a good blockade will usually get them to talk after a year or two.

If the AI still has more troops than you, with more manpower, and a reasonable WE then yeah it's going to fight. If you can drive up his WE though he'll give up eventually.

.Socrates's Avatar I Love You

The only time I really felt In Nomine was being cheap with rebels was when I was playing as Vijayanagar in India. Jesus Christ, in Raichur Doab 2 separate armies 10,000 strong rose up in revolt in just two months. Then Maldives revolted, the bottom half of my empire revolted and had a revolution, and I probably would have been able to kill them all if it wasn't for the fact that the slider was moved all the way to quality and my original army of 20,000 was decimated in war after war to a measely 5,974. So yeah, just way too much expansion and not paying attention to the people = rebel rape.

Since then, I've learned, and I'm now playing as Japan and was able to take all over Brunei, Makasaar, make Malacca my Vassal, annex Matjeh (?) and finally start to colonize. Pirates are annoying the hell out of me, and there's rebels every few months, but I've got the situation mostly under control.

/mumbling
    Originally under the patronage of RZZZA. Under the patronage of the Black Prince, in the Royal House of the Black Prince.

^updated 6/28/10 (Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life)

I didnt say that.

The ai should behave like a human.

AI dumb is when they do the same stupid *exploitable* thing every time. Human dumb is when they are greedy and will do anything to hold onto their land... even if its not in the countries best interests. As people have mentioned... if you play someone in eu mp they aren't exactly too happy to give away land. The eu rome ai is a bit extreme in this aspect but I think the IN ai is pretty much perfect. It's not mathematical calculated like "omg we are gonna lose" as soon as you war dec but it is reasonably stubborn and reasonable at the same time.
    Last edited by Darkarbiter; July 16, 2008 at 04:53 AM.

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

I am surprised no one mentioned the insane pirate spawning. IN is flawless imo, besides these unending pirate swarms.

Serious J's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKnight View Post
    I am surprised no one mentioned the insane pirate spawning. IN is flawless imo, besides these unending pirate swarms.
    It's annoying and a rather stupid design decision, but it becomes much easier to deal with once you get a hang of using the patrolling orders.
    The strange days are coming.

The rebels are currently too strong, that has been the main complaint of IN, and Paradox have acknowledged that they're working on a fix.

It's quite obvious, an outnumbered peasant army shouldn't inflict that heavy casualties to my quality troops. Don't let your "fanboyism" cloud your judgment, where would a game be without complaints and suggestions?

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

So because they like the game and don't think the rebels are that bad they are now fanboys? Grow up

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast