Thread: Horse Barding

Firebat11's Avatar Semisalis

Default Horse Barding

I have a historical accuracy question.

As far as I know (which may be wrong), horse barding developed in the 14th Century. This would make the Horse Barding on Feudal Knights historically inaccurate.

If this is the case, Feudal Knights should have the same horses as Mailed Knights.

I am looking for visual or written materials on horse barding, since the Vanilla textures are still in use for many horse units.

Thoughts?

Thanks a bunch.
    Co-Creator of Battle for the Baltic Mod for SS 6.1

No, that isn't a banana

Default Re: Horse Barding

Why not refer to good ol' Wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barding

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Aymer de Valence 13th century(noble)

Bavarian knight 12th century!

Peter of Dreux duke of britany..(noble)

As you can see barded horses were used mainly after 1200!
    Mostly from nobles and their squires!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by OTZ View Post
    Why not refer to good ol' Wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barding
    Because I said historical accuracy,

Aymer de Valence 13th century(noble)

Bavarian knight 12th century!

Peter of Dreux duke of britany..(noble)

As you can see barded horses were used mainly after 1200!
    Mostly from nobles and their squires!
    Thank you, you have answered my question. Do you know of a good website/websites that offer pictures of such things?

Thanks

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Barding of horses in europe was mostly not an armor(early era)but worked as a banner!
    On the contrary in east thick padded horse armors used only as light armor!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

yup, Barded plate was used much later - after experience from Crecy. Early Barding didnt had any protective capabilities, except the easier treatment of wounded horses from arrows.

Barser's Avatar Senator

I must admit that I don't really care about this. Is SS a pure historical accurate mod? no I don't think so and that is why it is so popular imo. There is plenty of other mods that focus on these historical correct things but for me it end up killing the fun. No offence but I hope such changes stay in the sub forums.

______________Factionleaders and Generals mod__________________
    ______________________Agents-minimod____________________________

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Barser View Post
    I must admit that I don't really care about this. Is SS a pure historical accurate mod? no I don't think so and that is why it is so popular imo. There is plenty of other mods that focus on these historical correct things but for me it end up killing the fun. No offence but I hope such changes stay in the sub forums.
    No offense but how does the changing or editing of a horse model/texture affect your enjoyment of the game?

Even if historical accuracy isn't important to you, it is important to many players. And to these players, historical accuracy does not kill fun or gamplay, it IS gameplay and fun (or at least a large part of it). Again, no offense but if a topic doesn't interest you, why post in it?

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    yup, Barded plate was used much later - after experience from Crecy. Early Barding didnt had any protective capabilities, except the easier treatment of wounded horses from arrows.
    I'm guessing that was the reason for providing horses with cloth barding in the first place (apart from the chance to show off your personal coat of arms ). Hell even at Agincourt the French horses were very vulnerable to the English bodkin arrows...although off the top of my head I can't remember what protection the French horses had at Agincourt :hmmm:
    Last edited by Caesar Clivus; July 11, 2008 at 08:50 AM.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Barser's Avatar Senator

Caeser Clivus: It does interrest me becuarse I am woried that the future of SS will become to much historical accuracy in exchange of gameplay like it is the case with a lot of mods.
    Historical accuracy is important to an extend but not that important that I think early knights should look like crap just becuarse it's probably right.

______________Factionleaders and Generals mod__________________
    ______________________Agents-minimod____________________________

know that is your point of view my friends, but as our fellow posted above, historical accuracy IS gameplay and fun for a lot of people (no offense at all mate, please, just chatting )

Quote Originally Posted by Barser View Post
    Caeser Clivus: It does interrest me becuarse I am woried that the future of SS will become to much historical accuracy in exchange of gameplay like it is the case with a lot of mods.
    Historical accuracy is important to an extend but not that important that I think early knights should look like crap just becuarse it's probably right.

a. The question was posted in the submods forum by a person interested in the topic, not by KK looking to change SS. Let's not overreact here.

b. The change of a horse texture/model...not really a game breaking feature in the bigger scheme of things.

Firebat: According to the "Archaeology of Weapons" by Ewart Oakenshott, there are a few references to horses with mail armour as early as the later part of the 12th century, but it was not until the middle of the 13th century that this was used reguarly. From about 1220 onwards, most horses are shown with cloth barding. It is only in the late 13th century that the plate armour for horses is mentioned.

Ceasar Clivus: By the time of Argincourt French cavalry used Barder plates. That wass the lesson learned from Crecy... Problem was, in Argincourt they met another problem - Mud...

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    Ceasar Clivus: By the time of Argincourt French cavalry used Barder plates. That wass the lesson learned from Crecy...
    Ah thanks for that JaM. I thought that they were most likely using plate armour for their horses by then but couldn't remember

Problem was, in Argincourt they met another problem - Mud...
    That and too many Frenchmen, not enough space

Thanks to all