Thread: Help with paratroopers (HoI2)

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Default Help with paratroopers (HoI2)

I have been all through the manual, I've been clicking like a madman on the darned transports, but nothing seems to do the trick.

I'm playing as Nationalist China, and my navy is absolute shite, so I'm trying to do an airborne invasion of the Japanese home isles. But I can't.
    I have 4 air transports and an equal amounts of airborne divisions. I load them up, but I can't do jack **** with them. When I try to order an airborne assault from Taiwan on Okinawa, the mission ledger just says "none". Seriously wtf?

What am I doing wrong, I don't want to spend the next two years building battleships and transports
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Axeman's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Help with paratroopers (HoI2)

In order to perform any airborne missions the planes must be at full organizational levels , rebasing the planes reduces thier organization.

☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌  Copy and paste him
    / \ so as to commit horrible blasphemy!
    If there were a God, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt his existence. --Bertrand Russell

It also could either be out of range or you dont have the requisite air transport technology...

Quote Originally Posted by scottishranger View Post
    It also could either be out of range or you dont have the requisite air transport technology...
    I thought it was a doctrine required?
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

mongoose's Avatar Domesticus

Air transports have short range. I would suggest using a base in Korea if you're having trouble launching them even when they're at full org.

Also, I don't really think that you'd be able to invade Japan with only 4 paratroopers. They're probably going to get cut off from your supply lines if you don't have enough convoys, and 4 divisions probably won't be enough anyway unless you've already destroyed almost all of the Japanese army.

I would suggest building a small amount of transports and destroyers/cruisers, and then quickly trying to get a bunch of army groups across. The AI isn't really that great at protecting itself from sea based invasions. Granted, you probably don't have a big air force, and getting an inferior navy across a channel facing a superior one is a lot easier if you own the skies. Still, I would be surprised if you were able to beat them with only paratroopers ... though that would be really bad ass.

I agree with Mongoose a small naval assault is the way to go, however be careful as the AI can see everything you own, and if you wait for too long you will face the AIs ultra homing navies and expect the entire IJN to be on top of you within five minutes.
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Airborne Assaults are best combined with different kinds of assaults. For instance when I invade Malta I use an Amphibious Attack supported by a small Airborne Assault.

Gibralter is the only province I can think you where you must resort to a full scale Airborne Assault (unless you ally with Spain and just roll through them.)

The other purpose for them is to aid in a Blitzkrieg. For instance I use Paratroopers to land in Riga during Operation Barbarossa. I make sure that I have my Armoured Spearheads about ready to link up. That way units retreating into Riga will be captured and I have created a Shake-and-Bake pocket.

One thing you never use Paratroopers for is a full scale invasion of another continent or large island. Unless it is mostly undefended.

Build up some Transports, Heavy Cruisers and Destroyer groups. Put all bombers on Naval strike in your intended course and launch an Amphibious Assault.

Paratroopers just tend to die if they have to fight extended battles alone.

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

Hmm...airborne assault needs a doctrine somewhere in the airforce technology..Its been a lot of time since I played Hoi2 but you could research a doctrine with a flying expert which enables you to drop paratroopers.

Im pretty sure as NC you dont have that doctrine, so airborn missions arent available to you at all.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Spart's Avatar Senator

Battlefield interdiction.
    Member of S.I.N
    Finns to the rescue!

How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
    -Søren Kierkegaard

It was the missing org that caused the problems, thanks a lot everybody.

Now my airborne divisions are cut off, out of supply and doomed on Taiwan

Better start building transports..
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

Otto von Bismarck

Hahaha! Don't say we didn't warn you!

mongoose's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Atterdag View Post

If you have four transport wings, you could probably keep them supplied at least until you can get your navy built.

edit: assuming you have enough air transport tech to do that. As China there's a good chance that you don't.

Losing 4 paratrooper divisions is a HUGE disaster, considering how long it takes to build them, so I would suggest doing anything that it takes to get them back, even if you have to try ferrying them across the channel one at a time using only one transport.
    Last edited by mongoose; July 12, 2008 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atterdag View Post

You have no convoys? Shouldn't need many from mainland China to Taiwan.

I managed to trade me to some transports from the US and sneaked my paras back to the mainland. Now Taiwan is reoccupied by the Japanese and I'm ready to start all over as soon as my transport wings are back to full org ^^

BTW I've trained four more airborne divisions and an equal amount of transports. Though I'm determined to focus on building my navy from now on..
    Сканија је Данска

Otto von Bismarck

IC wise it is cheaper to build transport ships and inf than airborne divisions.

Edit: Build some convoys damnit!

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

Life is hard with the nationalist China....
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

As many have said already, combining paratroopers with other assault troops is the key to victory and using paras alone results in devastating defeats most of the time.
    In your case, try to use your paratroopers to capture a province with a minor port (so, a tiny symbol only; the major ports are usually used by the enemies navy).
    If they are successful, send in the transport ships with your units - it's a rather dangerous attempt because your paratroopers are very vulnerable but if it works it's a lot easier and faster than an invasion by sea because your transports simply drop of the units and go home again (no long waiting time for your units to move off the ships).

^ As used in the infamous Germany-invades-Britain-through-Wales trick

Town Watch's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by squigian View Post
    ^ As used in the infamous Germany-invades-Britain-through-Wales trick
    lol, yea. maybe rudolf hess flew discretely to wales first, bribing all the officials to leave the area ungarrisoned before flying and crashing in scotland afterwards

the A.I is really stupid in this game
    "What do I feel when I kill my enemy?"
    -Recoil-