Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to restore the status of a save

Icon1 How to restore the status of a save

Edit: my questions have been answered by Furin (many big thanks), so I made a tutorial of this thread.

Your save is lost, but you need to re-play your campaign?
    Or do you want different starting positions with unique characters?
    Different time scale and starting year?

Here's a short tutorial for you in a few easy steps.

Find the descr_strat.txt in the campaign folder. Make a backup of it.

Modify the following in this descr_strat.txt file:

1. Set the starting year and the time scale, it's at the beginning of the file:

Code:
    start_date    1225 summer
    end_date    1630 winter
    timescale    0.50
    2. Create new characters: simply add a new character by copying and renaming one of your characters; you can modify their name, age, family status, traits, map position (x and y coordinates) and their armed forces.

3. Set which settlements does a faction control - this can be done in 2 steps

3.1. Changing settlement ownership
    Move the settlement info code to the faction, you want to hold this settlement at the start of the campaign. For example: you want to take Ragusa from Venice and give it to the Byzantine Empire. Find "Ragusa" (with Ctrl+F) in the text, cut the info code of Ragusa, and copy it to the Byzantine Empire's entires (under facton_byzantine).

Code:
    settlement  <---------- start copying from here (a castle has settlement castle)
    {  
        level town
        region Ragusa_Province

year_founded 0
        population 1500
        plan_set default_set
        faction_creator venice
        building
        {
            type core_building wooden_pallisade
        }
        building
        {
            type barracks town_watch
        }
        building
        {
            type port port
        }
    }     <--------  all the way to here
    3.2.Moving garrisons.
    We're not done yet. It could happen (going with previous example) that the Byzantines get Ragusa, but a Venetian army is standing there, thus occupying the city automatically. In order to implement the settlement changes, you have to move this garrisoned army from this city to another spot on the map. You do this by searching for "Ragusa" again, and checking if any character is standing there or not. If a character is standing there with his army, you have to change the coordinates to move him to another spot.
    If you have no idea where to move him, check the characters of his faction, and copy paste their coordinates.

The armies of a faction are below the city part. For example

Code:
    character    Friedrich, named character, male, leader, age 40, x 247, y 187 
    traits Factionleader 1 , GoodCommander 2 , PublicFaith 1 , BattleChivalry 4 , ReligionStarter 1, CharacterAges 1, TurnsAlive 2, PresentAtGameStart 1
    ancillaries crown_hre 
    army
    unit        NE Bodyguard                exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit        Spear Militia                exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit        Peasants                exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit        Peasant Archers                exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    The bold part are the x/y coordinates, which you can get with the "show_cursorstat" command on the campaign map. If you want to move a garrison, you first need to identify which one and then change these coordinates.

And done!
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; August 04, 2008 at 02:17 PM.

Default Re: How can I restore the status of a save? Plz HELP

All these things you mention can be done in descr_strat in the campaign folder, there you can define which settlements you own, which characters exist at gamestart and which buildings have been build, the time (start of campaign), etc.

Take the existing strat in your campaign folder and look how it's done, then make a backup and change it to your liking. Then when you start a new game with the faction you played it will be as if you continue from your save. The correct names for characters can be found in descr_names.txt and names.txt.

Under the benevolent guidance of jimkatalanos

Icon1 Re: How can I restore the status of a save? Plz HELP

Thanks, Furin for the quick reply. +rep

F.e. I want to change the starting positions of the Teutonic order, so I change these texts in descr_names.txt?

Namely, I change the region by rewriting it to another region?
    Where do I find the region names? EDIT: found it: descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt in the same folder as descr_strat.txt
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; July 09, 2008 at 08:00 AM.

It's done by adding or taking cities away below the start of the teutons section. The first city will be the capital. If you take one city away you need to give it to an other faction or to the rebels (slave faction). You don't need to do anything to the other files, unless you want to change the percentage of religion in a region (else there could be high unrest at first). That's in descr_regions.txt in the world/maps/base folder. You also need to change the location of the garrisons else the city will be taken over by slaves or whatever faction right at gamestart. The owner of the city = owner of the region, so no need to fiddle with regions in general.

edit: btw I really like your posts in LLamad's AAR, very well written!
    Last edited by Furin; July 08, 2008 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Furin View Post
    It's done by adding or taking cities away below the start of the teutons section. The first city will be the capital. If you take one city away you need to give it to an other faction or to the rebels (slave faction).

I took away Qarisiya_Province from the rebels (ctrl+x and ctrl+v to the teutonic order) and gave Konigsberg_Province to HRE.

I tried to launch a new campaign, but when I could click start campaign I was thrown back to the menu where I can choose between early era and late era campaigns.

Although I made the changes in the late era sub-folder

You need to work with the error logfile on that, it could be anything really. Usually even an untraced logfile will give you good info in which line of the descr_strat the error can be found. Could be a typo, could be a conflicting building, could be that you accidentaly overwrote the start or end of a section. Did you move the garrisons aswell? Etc. etc, please look into the logfile.

Code:
    settlement  <---------- start copying from here (a castle has settlement castle)
    {  
        level town
        region Ragusa_Province

year_founded 0
        population 1500
        plan_set default_set
        faction_creator venice
        building
        {
            type core_building wooden_pallisade
        }
        building
        {
            type barracks town_watch
        }
        building
        {
            type port port
        }
    }     <--------  all the way to here
    Ah one more thing, when you start modding it's usually better to make just one change, then test if it works, and then make the next change. So in your case try to get the slaves city teutonic first and when you got that working continue with the HRE.
    Last edited by Furin; July 08, 2008 at 06:08 PM.

You need to work with the error logfile on that, it could be anything really. Did you move the garrisons aswell? Etc. etc, please look into the logfile.
    I moved the settlement as you noted. And VICTORY! I managed to get one new settlement.
    Where's the logfile?
    And how can I move the garrisons?
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; July 08, 2008 at 06:24 PM.

The logfile can be found in /MTW2/logs. The armies of a faction are below the city part. For example

Code:
    character    Friedrich, named character, male, leader, age 40, x 247, y 187 
    traits Factionleader 1 , GoodCommander 2 , PublicFaith 1 , BattleChivalry 4 , ReligionStarter 1, CharacterAges 1, TurnsAlive 2, PresentAtGameStart 1
    ancillaries crown_hre 
    army
    unit        NE Bodyguard                exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit        Peasants                exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    The bold part are the x/y coordinates, which you can get with the "show_cursorstat" command on the campaign map. If you want to move a garrison, you first need to identify which one and then change these coordinates.

Edit: I forgot, not only the coordinates, it makes sense to move the whole army to the according faction section too, for example to the slaves at the end of the strat file. And if the ownership changes (HRE becomes slave) then you also need to check if the new faction (slave) has access to the troops which are used (by the HRE), the easiest way is to copy an existing slave army and then just make a new leader (valid names can be found in descr_names.txt). If you want to do it manually you can check in export_descr_unit if this unit can be used by the slaves.

Edit2: I think your next question will be about the family, if you still know your family tree frorm the AAR you can reconstruct it in the strat file too, even the dead characters, the pictures are random though afaik. It's a little bit complicated at start but doable. I think there should be a tutorial floating around somewhere how to do it.
    Last edited by Furin; July 08, 2008 at 06:48 PM.

Many big thanks, Furin!

I tried to add more cities to the Teutonics, though they didn't appear there.

About family: I only really need one character, and the pic isn't that important, so I guess I can make it.

edit: found the log file, it really helps

edit2: uploaded my descr_strat.txt.

edit3: is it possible that I can't add more cities because of the descr_regions.txt? Shall I change f.e. the "turks" and "Arab_Rebels" here to "teutonic_order"

Damascus_Province
    Damascus
    turks
    Arab_Rebels
    244 203 14
    cotton, swordsmiths_guild, Mongol_Heavy_Lancers, Mongol_Heavy_Archers
    religions { catholic 0 orthodox 10 islam 80 pagan 10 heretic 0 }
    edit: YAAAY! I managed to change the coordinates one of my character!
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; July 08, 2008 at 07:12 PM.

You can only have 1 settlement/region, that's hardcoded, you can add an "limited by valid positions" amount of forts though (as described in my fort thread in the DLV section, or the fort thread in here). No need to edit the regions file really. Not sure what the turks entry is about, but the arab_rebels seems to be a reference to the type of rebel that spawns there (as in rebel_factions.txt). Grats on moving your first character

SUCCESS:

- managed to move the garrison (when I figured out that garrisons mean the armed forces of a character ), thus managed to take away and add more cities
    - managed to add new characters! (you just simply add a new character by copying and renaming one of your characters - check the names though in the descr_names.txt)

Now I only need help in this:

- set the time (f.e. 1225 AD)
    - set the time scale (f.e. 2 turns per year)

That's at the beginning of the file

Code:
    end_date    1630 winter
    timescale    0.50

That's at the beginning of the file

Code:
    end_date    1630 winter
    timescale    0.50
    Wohoo! Done!

edit: made a little tutorial of this thread
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; July 09, 2008 at 08:01 AM.

Default Re: Tutorial: How to restore the status of a save

It's great that everything worked out for you so far, welcome to the world of modding. You mustn't forget though that to really recreate your save you need to at least edit every single settlement in the game to the population it had, to the buildings it had and so on. You would even need to recreate all the armies that were present at that date, but you could work around that by putting a militia garrison of 8 into every city and then give every faction two strong armies, else you'd prolly go mad editing the stratfile.

Well, I wish you luck with your AAR, I hope everything works out for you.

Thanks, Furin.

I don't want recreate all things, I will be happy if I restore the position of my faction and my enemies, some characters and buildings.

And one more question, Furin, how can you find a garrisoned army within the descr_strat file if this army doesn't have a named character?

Every stack has a named character, if it is a captain then it's called "general" in the stratfile instead of named character, and the first unit in the stack won't be a generals unit but some random soldiers. If there are duplicate names and you don't really know which is which look at the coordinates.

For example:
    Code:
    character	sub_faction egypt, Marzuq al-Qasim, general, male, age 24, x 260, y 72
    army
    unit		ME Town Militia				exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit		Desert Archers				exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit		Desert Cavalry				exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit		Desert Archers				exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit		Desert Cavalry				exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    This is some random city garrison without a named character (bodyguard) leading it. A general can't have traits or ancilliaries.

Icon1 Re: Tutorial: How to restore the status of a save

EDIT: Done!

EDIT: One more question about traits.

Traits tutorial

Okay, so you look up the traits in export_descr_character_traits.txt in the data folder. Let's take an example.

Code:
    Trait LoyaltyStarter
        Characters family
        Hidden

Level Loyalty_Starting_Value
            Description Loyalty_Starting_Value_desc
            EffectsDescription Loyalty_Starting_Value_effects_desc
            Threshold  1 

Effect Loyalty  5
    Okay, so I know what threshold and effect loyalty means, but if I change my character's LoyaltyStarter Trait from 1 to 8 (in the descr_strat.txt), his loyalty even drops! What should I do?

Code:
    character	Franke von Holstein, named character, male, heir, age 21, x 372, y 97
    traits Supplies 1 , Turnsaway 12 , FactionheirTO 1 , LoyaltyStarter 1, MilitaryInclination 4 ,Military_Edu 4 , GoodCommander 4 , HaleAndHearty 4 , ReligionStarter 1 , Drink 2
    Code:
    traits Supplies 1 , Turnsaway 12 , FactionheirTO 1 , LoyaltyStarter 8, MilitaryInclination 4 ,Military_Edu 4 , GoodCommander 4 , HaleAndHearty 4 , ReligionStarter 1 , Drink 2

And one more question: how can I properly add new traits?

Let's take the example "brave" trait

Code:
    Trait Brave
        Characters family
        NoGoingBackLevel  3 
        AntiTraits Coward, Haemophobic

Level Brave
            Description Brave_desc
            EffectsDescription Brave_effects_desc
            Threshold  1 

Effect TroopMorale  1 

Level Dauntless
            Description Dauntless_desc
            EffectsDescription Dauntless_effects_desc
            Threshold  2 

Effect TroopMorale  2 
            Effect HitPoints  1 

Level Courageous
            Description Courageous_desc
            EffectsDescription Courageous_effects_desc
            Threshold  4 

Effect TroopMorale  3 
            Effect HitPoints  2 
    etc.
    So if I add "Brave 4" in the end of the previously mentioned character's trait list, I should see a "Courageous" trait upon start. But I see an "Inspirationally Brave" trait upon start, dunno why.

Ancillaries insertion is working. You take export_descr_ancillaries.txt (in the data folder), look up an ancillary f.e. "Ancillary bard" and add "bard" in the descr_strat.txt this way:

Code:
    traits Supplies 1 , Turnsaway 12 , FactionheirTO 1 , LoyaltyStarter 1 , MilitaryInclination 4 ,Military_Edu 4 , GoodCommander 4 , HaleAndHearty 4 , ReligionStarter 1 , Drink 2
    ancillaries bard
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; July 10, 2008 at 12:08 AM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Code:
    Damascus_Province
    Damascus
    turks
    Arab_Rebels
    244 203 14
    cotton, swordsmiths_guild, Mongol_Heavy_Lancers, Mongol_Heavy_Archers
    religions { catholic 0 orthodox 10 islam 80 pagan 10 heretic 0 }
    You are right about the rebels entry: it defines the rebels that will spawn in this area (see descr_rebel_factions)
    The line with turks defines the campaign map display of the city. If the faction is middle_eastern it will display like Cairo for example, if it is northern_european it looks like London.

@ Gigantus

Cool, didn't know that, thought it was at least to some degree defined by the strat entry faction creator. When you setup a rebel settlement in RTW the type of general you put in as garrison defined which buildings were build (roman general->roman buildings even in deep africa).

@ PowerWizard

Of course Loyaltystarter 8 drops your loyalty, because there is no tier 8 for that trait, it's not bigger number is always better, it depends on how many levels of that trait exist...

What's the new question? About, ancilliaries, yes of course you can add an ancilliary to a named character (aka a general) but not to a general (aka. a captain) , confusing ey?

You know, all the things we discuss here can be found in multiple places in this workshop, like in the "how to create new faction from scratch" thread amongst others, I see little reason to go further and further into detail here, when all the info has been very well written in many other threads. Lil' search often does wonders

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

faction creator in strat defines which faction the garrison might revolt to. (Loyalty revolt)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast