Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Lepidus/Ulpianus (II)

Default Re: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Lepidus/Ulpianus

"Seems to me alot of supposition and theory... I sincerely hope that Quintus Ameilius has proof...

That being said, the charges must be answered... since the charges are against the Praetor himself, a Propraetor must be recalled to judge the trial... we have two.. Spurius Vitruvius Habitus and Quintus Marius Parthicus. One of these men must be voted upon to act as judge. The accused has the option of asking for another's name to be put forward if he feels that neither potential candidate has his best interests at heart, the only rule is that the candidate MUST be currently assigned to an office of Praetor or above. Whomever is elected judge will control the trial process from beginning to end...

That is the Constitution as I read it..."

Gaius Vitruvius Habitus Antoninus (24)

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

"If you consider eyewitnesses as evidence, then I have evidence aplenty. I myself am a witness to his dastardly actions! Caesar has offered leadership positions in his "New Republic" to many, many Senators. I am surprised, Clarus, that Caesar hasn't offered you a spot in his New Republic yet. I assure you, if Caesar hadn't abandoned his plot due to strong opposition, he would have asked every man in this room to join his New Republic."
    Last edited by Maxinius Scipio; July 12, 2008 at 02:37 PM.
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

"Senators, since Aemilius Barbula has revealed the plot I am willing to testify against Caesar; for not only did the man approached me with offerings of joining his secret party but he also promised me a leading position in the plot. It is true that out of fear, I didn't outright rejected the offer but I said I needed some time to consider it. Further, knowing Caesar's plans to assassinate certain members of this August Body for not capitulating to his demands, when asked if I gave him my allegiance I replied that he had my friendship and fidelity; however, from that point after, I worked vigilantly towards the revealing of the plot as several Senators, amongst them Barbula and Vitruvius Habitus Antoninus, can attest."
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Who else, can in front of the gods swear that this is true!? Let them speak!

We need proof, and your testimony is not enough by itself i am afraid.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

"Marcus Cladius is correct, Testimony alone is not proof enough, though that is not for us to decide. A judge will determine if any evidence is admissable or not... plain and simple... debating it in the Curia is useless right now. A judge must be our first priority..."

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

"You are indeed correct that a testimony isn't truth by itself. However, I know for a fact that Servius Labienus Africanus has solid proof to reveal this plot; let us wait until this has been provided."
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

"It will not be provided in the Curia, and not to the general public. It will be provided to the assigned judge, then after the judge determines the veracity of the evidence a jury will be assembled and the case presented there. We are a civilised society with courts and lawyers, not a Gallic Tribunal!"

[I]Caesar stands, the Cvria goes quiet and waits for his response it is obvious he is very tired his ready smile is gone and he now has a grim look of determination on his face...

My friends and Senators.....how have we come to this pass. For the last few years I have served the Republic willingly and honourably presenting a building plan, reviving the idea for a Greek offensive. I am an ambitious man no doubt, but I love my Republic....more.....than anything. The fact that you say I dont hurts me deeply. Many of the men who wish to prosecute me were my friends only days ago.....one is realted to me. But now I am being attacked by many men. I have no wish to fight anymore. I love Rome. I love the plebs. I love the clammer in its streets. I love the sounds of it and its faults. I will face trial but I demand one thing......one simple thing. A fair trial. We romans have the greatest courts in the world and if I am prosecuted I will accept any punsihment you give me if not.......then I will continue with my life....thank you
    Last edited by RVFVS; July 12, 2008 at 03:53 PM.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Oppius Aulus Caelinus makes his way into the Curia, having come back from a well needed vacation in Iberia, hears the familiar sound of senators in diplomatic battle. He sighes, "Nothing is ever easy, and coming back here certainly isn't."
    He takes his seat and after having listened to the senators next to him, who told him what had happened during his abscence he asks for the floor.
    "Senators, I have heard much of what happened while I was gone, but what caught my attention most is something I have done myself.
    I do not know if I am correct, but when I left there was much planning for a grand invasion of Greece, and what I see now is accusations of corruption and threachery. Perhaps I have missed things or I am wrong, but it seems like the senate is losing itself in tearing at it's own throath rather than working for the Republic."
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Senators.
    Enough with the mud slinging.
    If a man has a case against the praetor or any member of the senate they must provide myself with the details.
    I am censor and I will decide if it is fit to go to trial.
    I will receive you, if you so wish at my domus where we may discuss this.
    That is final.
    We will move on.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

Thank you labienus. Now how doe the situation in Greece go? We have had very few reports of late.

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Titus Aurelius Cotta enters the Curia in the midst of a great argument. He had just been elected to his seat as senator and was quite nervous about entry into the sacred body, and tried desperately to avoid all eye contact as he searched for his seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Caesar stands a large smile on his face....

Titus Aurelius Cotta welcome!

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Titus stands to speak, very nervously, for his first before the senate.

Thank you, Praetor, I do not wish to obstruct things as I am new in the senate. However, Consul Lepidus has written me to say that he is frustrated that he has been unable to proceed. (In other words I need the save!)

ooc Rex since both sitting consuls are away from Rome the Praetor Urbanis would decide the course of the senate according to the order of succession passed last term so you have no right to tell the senate what they can and can't talk about.
    Last edited by Winter; July 13, 2008 at 02:33 AM.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Sextus Julius rises, eyes cold and calculating as he begins to speak after hearing of the prosecutions,

Senators, let me speaj,

The Republic of Rome is an old and long lasting system that we as senators have maintained it for hundreds of years. It first started with Lucius Junius Brutus, a noble man, a true Roman. It started with the end of kings, the end of a fully autocratic rule, and the beginnings of a well crafted and well shaped combination of democratic and autocratic government. It started, because one man had the courage and daring to defy a monarchal tradition of over 200 years to start a new government that would last even longer.

And now, once more we have such man, however, going in the opposite direction. Against the Republic, against the Constitution, against what Rome has been for past couple of years! And what does he intend to achieve? An overall power over Rome. The power to do anything he wishes. And with that, he thinks his auctoritas and dignitas will grow magnificently.

But that will not happen! Because though he has bribed and threatened the younger members of the Senate into joining him, he has forgotten, or at least vastly underestimated the power that the rest of the Senate has. The elder men, like Servius Labienus, Lucius Aurelius, Quintus Marius, and some of the younger men who still uphold the Republic like Barbula, Rufinus and I, we will not stand for this! We are the ones who saw through his ploy, and senators, I tell you now that to me, it is not to tolerated!

You ask for evidence, hard concrete evidence. Well, I agree with Barbulus that Caesar should be stripped of his imperium. Because evidence can be provided in the court, but a trial cannot be placed upon the fair head of his with his imperium on. And what are the chances that if the motion is put forward, he will call on all the men of his little band, and tip the votes in his favour? Here we shall see how faithful to the Republic he is! If we see votes of many young senators swinging against the motion, we will know that he is undermining us, however, if he is not planning to undermine the Republic, then he would take his conviction with the dignity of true Roman.

So, will the man rise to the test? That is up to him senators. All I can say is that if he is to undermine the Republic, I will put all my strength into resisting it.

Sextus sits with a glare in the general direction of the younger senators.

Last edited by Xavier Dragnesi; July 13, 2008 at 12:52 PM.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Senator Cotta stands to speak...

Senators, friends, you as well as I know that Caesar has not been proven to have committed any treasonous or heinous act in open court. I ask you where in our constitution it says that the accused must be treated in this unjust and overreaching way? To bring an accused person to trial is one thing but to strip him of office and rank whilst doing so is unprecedented under our constitution!

Praetor Caesar stands accused, this is true. But he does not yet stand convicted. And as the leading men of Rome we must restrain ourselves from the passions of the mob and allow this man a fair and impartial trial! It is, senators, our duty!

Titus sits, rather worn out.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

And a trial we shall give him. However, to be accussed, and therefore to be brought to trial, he needs to have his imperium taken off him. But it is fair to say that if he gets out of the trial unguilty, then he can automatically get his imperium back. Otherwise, we would have to charge him while he still has imperium, which is also against the constitution.

Enough!! This Cvria was made to discuss matters of concern to the Republic! So far no evidence has been put forward and until I see some I will never contemplate putting down my imperium. Now Senators we have had few reports from our Governers for a time and I would like to ask that we see some. Soon.

Brutus stands

Soon I will be presenting my Quaestor report my friends. And with in it will tell you men the process of our economy.
    COME AND JOIN IMPERIUM!: The brand new Roman RPG that lets choose from being an average citizen to a Dictator of rome. COME AND JOIN!!

OOC: Finally! If you don't hurry we will be using an old save however...