Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Lepidus/Ulpianus (II)

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

Default Re: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Lepidus/Ulpianus

"It is true that our borderlines must be preserved against the Gallic menace. To ensure that they do, I propose we allow the Provincial Governor to recruit some auxiliary units to strengthen the lines of defence and reinforce the forts wherever necessary."

"Now, to keep true on the Senate's daily business, I propose that before we discuss what is to be done with the Gallic threat, we have appointed the two suffecti Governors our Senior Consul urged us to do in the first days of this Consular term. Also, we need discuss whom we name Praetor Suffectus for this term."

Orders of Business for this new Senate:

1) Appoint two suffectus governors
    2) Resolve the voting dispute in the Tribunal election
    3) Appoint at least one Censor
    4) If possible, appoint one Praetor suffectus
    5) Determine a new commander for the Illyrian legions
    "For reference, I provide the Senatorial records from Day 1 where the urgent business of the State were highlighted by the Senior Consul."
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Sextus Julius rises from his seat to speak:

The voting for the Suffectus governor of Sicily is over I believe, and it seem to be in favour of Tertius Julius. Let him be sent to govern his province. And then there is just the Praetor suffectus to discuss

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: remember that we don't necessarily need a praetor suffectus. We do need to give someone imperium over Illyria's legions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Was it the consul who was to go or was it some one else.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Originally the command of Illyria was to be given to Servius Labienus Africanus as his province for proconsul, but since he has done his duty well and decided to serve the Republic as Censor, I believe there has been no official man appointed in his place. However, I believe that his son Servius Labienus Minor has proven himself well on the front and is worthy of leading the legions there.

Under 13 (COPPA)

I believe in a true republican system, Servius Labienus Minor has already held the command of the Illyrian legions and are system is made to prevent senators to have more power is it not, and also let other senators have the chance to hold the province and fight for the Republic. Servius Labienus Minor held the Propraetorship of Illyria and his expire date has come.

"I believe that the matter of command in Illyria was settled to be bestowed to T. Octavius Ulpianus;"

Quote Originally Posted by Senator Cornelius Rufinus View Post
    "Now, that the Censor matter is solved, thanks to the decision of noble Africanus, I would suggest we passed to the next matter; the commander of the Illyrian legions. I would suggest T. Octavius Ulpianus for the leadership of the army. What does the Senate says?"
    "A motion that was supported by the majority of the Senate House and the new candidate's Father, the illustrious Servius Labienus Africanus;

Quote Originally Posted by Senate Records
    S.R Consulate of Lepidus\Ulpianus, posts #55 - #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Senator Servius Labienus Africanus View Post
    Very well then.
    I too support Tiberius Octavius.
    So let the motion be carried for him to take command in Greece.
    I can only offer my guidance before he leaves and my thoughts with him as he fights for Rome.
    "With that in mind, I believe that the already stated motion must fail in order to propose another for the position. If the Consuls could start the processions..."

Under 13 (COPPA)

ooc: I think I am going to join up at the Field of Mars since I did not get elected this term
    ic: Senator I have decied to not partisapate in this term. I will be leaving for the Field of Mars today.

Pompey walks out of the CVRIA in the direction of the Field of Mars

KoS's Avatar Dux Limitis

OOC: Speaking of the Field of Mars... since I'm bound to being Aedile for another week or so, say I then chose to spend a term or two training at the Campus Martius instead of running for any of the offices I would be entitled to run for after completing Aedile. After I spent some time at the Field of Mars, would I be able to come back and run for Praetor/Aedile, or would I have to start back at Quaestor again?
    R.I.P. God Save The King (2008-2013)

OOC: you would continue where you left off of course..

A strongly built man, outfitted in the armor of a high ranking military official, minus his weaponry walks into the Senate Hall,

I, Gaius Vitruvius Habitus Antonius, have here a letter and report from the Propraetor of Africa, Spurius Vitruvius Habitus!

“Salve Senators!

My first report on Africa, as Propraetor, will be read by my newly adopted son. While I am away he will represent me in the Senate, treat him as you would me. The report is rather simple…

The building projects keep the masses employed, there is, however, a high squalor rate, if not dealt with it will cause problems in the future. I will endeavor to prevent that from happening. I have begun to build heavy onagers for distribution among the Republic to anyone who wishes it, there is not a city in Italy, I believe, that can build them, correct me if I am wrong of course.

I have moved some Calvary from Carthage to the Middle Fort.

My objectives here are still unclear… does the senate wish me to take the Rebel town of Lambaesis still? Do I still receive Africa’s second legion? The Legio XI I believe it was?

Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Spurius Vitruvius Habitus”

Antonius rolls up the scroll and gives it to the records keeper, he then takes his seat amongst the Senators of Rome.

----------------------------------

Gaius Vitruvius Habitus Antoninus (24)
    Last edited by Grandis Latro; July 11, 2008 at 03:12 PM.

"Ah, as it seems the good Propraetor has already fallen nose down to work! Well, since he asks of his objectives, I think that we should have a look on Africa's case once more; do we conquer the nearby villages? Do we recruit more men? Do we leave the Propraetor decide on these matters? What do we do, Senate, I ask you!"

OOC: Grandis, all well and good with your post but I have a slight "objection"; your newly adopted son should be named Gaius Vitruvius Habitus Antoninus, not Antonius. The suffix -nus in the end of the former gens name was typical for an adopted son; par example, Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus, formerly Gaius Octavius Thurinus or Publius Cornelius Scipio Aemilianus, formerly Publius Aemilius Paullus Macedonicus. Just an academic observation!

ooc: He asked me about that, and his mistake was the one I made the first time I did if for him. Then I changed it, but I don't think he realised the change. If you look in his Africa thread, and at the bottom of the first post, you'll see I've changed it for him.

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

Out of the large crowd of senatorial aristocrats, a young, tall man in his early thirties rises from his bench and announces his beliefs on the current matters and motions.

"Being the Consul of our grand Republic, Tiberius Octavius Ulpianus should have imperium and auctoritas over Illyria and Dalmatia's legions. Labienus Minor's term as Pro-Praetor is over; he should return to Rome and govern the Republic and its' empire here, in the Curia, with the rest of us. That is why I voted to grant imperium over the Illyrian legions to Consul Ulpianus, their rightful commander."

Senator Barbvla takes a few seconds to clear his throat and consume a bit of water, and then proceeds.

"With both Consuls being sent away to foreign lands, the legions of citizens and allies that are owed to Propraetor Habitus will have to be raised by the Praetor Urbanis."

Feeling as if he is being given looks and glares from the majority of the Senate, Barbvla wonders if his previous statement was inaccurate, or if he is just being paranoid. He chooses the former.

"Unless I am mistaken, and the new legions that were requested have been raised already. If that is the case, then by all means, the requested legions should be sent immediately, without the need of voting on the matter. However, I believe that we should vote on re-taking Lambaesis. While it is true that the town rebelled from the might of our Proconsuls and their legions, we must consider the consequences of capturing the town. Lambaesis serves as a buffer to any Numidian raiders. Were we to re-capture the city and pacify the region, we would constantly lose good Roman legionaries and their auxiliary counterparts to the bloodthirsty men of the desert. It is even possible that entire legions would be destroyed at the hands of these barbarians, and we cannot afford that.

Yet, if we were to keep our legions where they are, and let the rebels in Lambaesis think they've won their independance, they would be the ones dieing in Numidian raids. Carthage, Thapsus, and our many colonies in the region would not be troubled by Numidian invasions, as Lambaesis stands in the way of many paths and trails that lead to our core cities in Africa."

Realizing many of the men in this chamber have been corrupted by land, coins, and greed, Barbvla decides to point out one last thing.

"In fact, think of how much money we would save. We will not have to pay to replace the men who die there, since there will not be any men who die there. Equipment, weaponry, and monthly pay costs a lot, so think of how impressive our treasury will be once the rate of death in Africa has lowered. Besides, Lambaesis and the desert outside of it won't bring us any real profits, just endless fields of sand and hostile desert tribes.

What do the rest of you think?"
    Last edited by Maxinius Scipio; July 11, 2008 at 12:04 PM.
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

We could capture the city and crucify the leaders of the rebellion to make them nan example. This should be sufficient pacification in my opinion. I am not one for needless bloodshed of non-military classes, but the rebels must be punished and brought into the fold. After the population has been leveled off a bit, we can procedd with Romanization. Within a few generations the populace will be more friendly.

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

"But, Senator Pontif, what of the Numidians and Mauretanians who wish to raid the region? If we were to recapture Lambaesis and assert our authority, place our legions in permanent forts nearby, and create colonies, we would have to deal with constant invasions by Numidian chiefs bent on conquest and destruction. Good Romans and loyal Peregrini would lose their lives, and that is something I do not want to see.

If we leave the rebel town alone, our legionaries and auxiliaries will be left relatively unharmed. The traitors in Lambaesis will be the ones dieing from the raids of western desert tribes, not us. Pacifying the region will not prevent constant raids from the Numidian tribes..."

Thinking for a minute, Barbvla suggest an alternate strategy:

"...I would only support re-taking Lambaesis and establishing it as a client state, instead of an integrated part of our African province. This way, with no colonists being sent to the region, we won't lose any Roman citizens to the harsh desert climate and to raids from nearby tribes."
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

ooc: Max is back!

From my point of view, the taking of Lambaesis is not too important at the moment. So what I suggest is that we leave it to the discretion of the Propraetor. If he thinks his forces are numerous enough, and can take the city with minimal casualties, then I say let him do it. I think it would be very hard for Numidian nomads to raid a large city with massive stone walls and a legion protecting it.

Caesar stands and looks at the new senator...

Senator Barbvla.....you seem to know what you speak of yet you do not think. Lambaesis is owned by rebels and rebels must be crushed. A client state would be less then satisfying for the farmers who wish to make their lives in this town. I move that ProPraetor Spvrivs Vitrvvivs Habitvs take Lambaesis.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Quote Originally Posted by Fabius Maximus View Post
    "It is true that our borderlines must be preserved against the Gallic menace. To ensure that they do, I propose we allow the Provincial Governor to recruit some auxiliary units to strengthen the lines of defence and reinforce the forts wherever necessary."

"Now, to keep true on the Senate's daily business, I propose that before we discuss what is to be done with the Gallic threat, we have appointed the two suffecti Governors our Senior Consul urged us to do in the first days of this Consular term. Also, we need discuss whom we name Praetor Suffectus for this term."

"For reference, I provide the Senatorial records from Day 1 where the urgent business of the State were highlighted by the Senior Consul."
    this man would need to be loyal beyond question i propose a trusted senoir senator be given the job

also capturing any city is the best choice and burn them thats the price for defiying rome