Thread: Theatre of War - You got Panther'd!

Default Theatre of War - You got Panther'd!

This thread is an AAR-Review of the game Theatre of War.
    If you dont know it, come and enjoy some tactical tank battles!
    - Heavy German Tanks and guns included -

----------

Oh yes, Theatre of War, a rare game, im lucky to have it found in the store.
    Its an awesome game, and i would like to show you guys how a typical battle goes, and what counts in this game.

You might know it, nice screenshots were released, it was delayed and renamed a few times, but hey, in the end its out!
    Real time strategy, with a modificated Il2 graphics engine, and its developers are the guys of Il2 and ...some other people.
    (Il2- that ultrarealistic flight sim, which totally kills Microsofts flightsims?)
    Multiplayer is built in, but it requires a REALLY good connection to do anything. So basically - there is no multiplayer.
    BUT:
    We have got campaigns for the Germans, the russians, the Brits/Americans,
    the French and even a polish campaign.
    (In the german CD version you get 2 Bonus campaigns:
    Panzer lehr division in normandy and defence of Moscow)
    Im in love with the early war scenario, so thats a big plus for me.

----------

Fighting is mainly in rural areas, because its tank combat, but some close combat in cities would be fun
    But because of the high system requirements, Cities would make this game unplayable. Maybe it has these requirements because it calculates the Ballistics?!

Im playing it for a while now,
    The high grade of realism is sometimes frustrating, but people loving the damage model of il2 will surely enjoy Tanks with blown-off tracks or damaged mainguns.
    Even if there is no penetration, splinters will surely make a delicious cocktail inside the Tank. You really get to fell the power of a projectile.
    The missions are long - from 30 minutes up to 130 minutes is what i have recorded, and i play on the easiest mode.
    Nothing for arcade gamers, this is the dream of all realism fans,
    Different munitions, Ballistics, HUGE fighting distances (what you see, you can mostly shoot, really unusual for games) the damage models, a nice Database of units, And even special crew, all with their own attitudes
    (i always pick the tanks with the best Gunners!) etc.
    The Units answer you in their native Language, showing a huge databank of sounds.
    It focuses mostly on Tanks, but if you forget the Infantry, which is dead accurate at some points, you will have a Panzerschreck in your Turret in no time.

----------
    Ok, this is a battle where my forces are surrounded, they need to break out in order to save the group.
    What this means for me and my Tanks? getting shot at from all sides.

The Panther tank, combining sloped armour and a deadly long 75mm gun. ("lol pz3" is a reference to the inferior pz3 on the late war ostfront.)

First bunch of enemy tanks incoming, some self propelled guns managed to get their tracks blown off by my little Hetzer tanks.

Boom, Our Panther opens fire on an enemy T-34/85, disabling its gun.
    It is indicated by the small infobox in the lower right, also showing the enemies armor.

Close up of the hit, it did not only disable the main gun, but it killed the loader and the gunner for sure.
    Even if thats not the case, the Gun is disabled.
    This is a firepower kill and so its a mission kill, to avoid a catastrophic kill the AI should retreat now.
    But instead of retreating, they come close up and get their Armor a few holes.

After this skirmish the Panther advances over the hills, only to see itself surrounded by Soviet tanks.

The Panther manages to blow up a T-34/85, and it disables the gun of an IS-2, but is critically hit by one of the surrounding tanks.
    (In the meantime, its own gun got disabled, which is not unusual, as it was under fire by all the tanks guns which were over 85mm)

Thats it for our Panther, no of the crew survived, which is unusual.

R.I.P.

BUT:

Weve got reinforcements! Even heavier Tanks will show the reds whats up!

(ok, i admit it, the Elefant in this picture got its gun disabled after the first shot it recieved -.-)

Hope you enjoyed it folks
    Last edited by boerekovic; July 05, 2008 at 08:29 AM.

Arto's Avatar Praefectus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Theatre of War - You got Panther'd!

Good for your Panther!
    Knowledge is a deadly friend, if no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see, is in the hands of fools - King Crimson's Epitaph.
    תחי מדינת ישראל

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

Great AAR and Game , I love Battlefront games .
    There is also a second one coming out
    http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=52793
    Last edited by Turkeys!; July 12, 2008 at 10:41 PM.
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

Black Francis's Avatar -IN-NOMINE-XPI-VINCAS-

Thanks for that.
    [sigh]
    Theatre of War looks like a great game and I tried the demo on my PC twice but it just ran really badly. I know I am really missing out.

This is despite my PC just being a little off the suggested specs:

AMD 3000+ 1gig Ram Nvidia 7600.

IN-HOC-SIGNO-VINCES

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Nice AAR.
    ToW is a ok. Nice graphics but the game keeps crashing on my computer after like 20 minutes of playing.

Indefinitely Banned

Whoops posted in wrong thread. Damn Firefox tabs!!!!!!

Theatre of Africa? Niiiice!
    Thanks for the Rep guys.
    had a hard time doing this, but fun.