Thread: Elephant mercs in africa

Default Elephant mercs in africa

I am thinking about the idea of making Elephants Mercs recruitable in Timbuktu and Arguin (but they will not come cheap). Also they wont appear until after gunpowder is discovered so that they do not appear to early. What do you think guys? good idea or bad?

Dave

Stylix's Avatar MOS Team Member

Default Re: Elephant mercs in africa

I like the idea. Any chance to add diversity can only improve the enjoyment of the game and it also provides an incentive to take these sometimes overlooked regions. I noticed that Arquin will be accessible by sea in the new release. This will make this region even more worth considering, especially in the early parts of the game, before ocean going ships are available.

Koljan's Avatar Senator

Sure, sounds pretty cool.
    Might provide a good balance for fighting the Timurids elephants.

Well the African forest elephant that was based in North Africa which was used by the Carthginians, Ptolomic empire and the Romans became extinct sometime before the fall of the western roman empire due to hunting, destruction of environment and trapping so having elephants recruitable in Tunis or Cairo shouldnt happen

Only the far south of africa (mankuria) should be able to recruit elephants as there were ethiopian elephants in BC's timeframe

need elephants with mangonels ontop !!

Quote Originally Posted by Death Merchant View Post
    Well the African forest elephant that was based in North Africa which was used by the Carthginians, Ptolomic empire and the Romans became extinct sometime before the fall of the western roman empire due to hunting, destruction of environment and trapping so having elephants recruitable in Tunis or Cairo shouldnt happen

Only the far south of africa (mankuria) should be able to recruit elephants as there were ethiopian elephants in BC's timeframe
    Interesting information, however the units being proposed would not be available for recruitment, but rather as mercenaries. As such it could be assumed that these bands wandered up from regions where elephants are available and are willing to sell their highly desired services to the highest bidder.

Well why should Elephants Mercs only be available around Mosul and Baghdad in the campaign? They should also be recruitable somewhere in africa. And Timbuktu and Arguin are about as far south as you can go on the map. The exact african regions they should be found in does not really concern me at all.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; July 05, 2008 at 01:45 PM.

This would be a neat addition to anyone looking to expand their empires into africa

Did these get added, or did the talks die down on this? I would really like to see some expensive elephant units in N. Africa

I'd love more elephants, cant remember where but was sieging a while back and they sallied with elephants, they are quite a pain to get rid of

Did these get added, or did the talks die down on this? I would really like to see some expensive elephant units in N. Africa
    If I told you the answer, would you use them against me in hotseat? :hmmm:

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; August 11, 2008 at 04:30 PM.

Lol, the hotseat game is what reminded me of this thread a while ago.

If you tell me, I promise I wont use them on you. I'll probably send them against Portugal and Castille, and see how their heavy infantry stand up to my camel gunners and elephant armies!

@pwf224,

Yes, there be ELEPHANTS here!

pool West_Africa
    regions Timbuktu_Province Arguin_Province
    unit Sudanese Tribesmen Mercs exp 0 cost 540 replenish 0.11 - 0.33 max 6 initial 1
    unit Elephants Mercs exp 0 cost 3000 replenish 0.02 - 0.04 max 1 initial 0 events { gunpowder_discovered }

But not until gunpowder discovered.

This is gonna be freakin awesome. You guys are all going down in hotseat when I whip out my elephant and camel gunner combo army