Page 1 of 46 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: AOR Colonies (Unit) Expanded (New Release 17/08/08)

Indefinitely Banned

Default AOR Colonies (Unit) Expanded (New Release 17/08/08)

AOR:Colonies Expanded
    Requires SS6.1

Sections:
    1. AOR Mod
    2. Animations Pack

1. AOR Mod

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Introduction
    This mod is a unit expansion for AOR Colonies (thread here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=170459). AOR Colonies is a factional area of recruitment system that lets you recruit other faction’s units as you expand into their territory. For instance as England, if you take over Edinburgh with this mod you will be able to recruit highlander units.

This mod adds new units to AOR Colonies. A new thread has been created because original adopters of AOR Colonies may wish to stay vanilla and not use these new units.

This first release is concentrated on improving Late Era faction rosters.

Western armies in the Early Modern Era (1500s) adopted fairly uniform army compositions. The knights of the medieval age moved from using the lance charge to the “caracole” –that is circling round the enemy army while firing pistols into it, before charging home. This is represented by Reiters ingame. At the same time a small core remained of elite shock cavalry, the Gendarmes ingame and lighter more mobile lance cavalry, the Demi Lancers. Plentiful light cavalry was also used, adequately represented by Border Horse/Hobilars/Mounted Sergeants/Jinetes.

To represent early modern cavalry, all western factions can now recruit Gendarmes, Demi Lancers, Reiters.

The infantry also changed. Swords and bows had become useless against plate. Men moved to use the only two weapons that could defeat the metallurgy of the age – polearms and shot. Sometimes special picked bands of men were given capsules filled with gunpowder – grenades. To represent this, all western factions can now recruit pike militia, pikemen, musketeers, arquebusiers, grenadiers.

These late era units have been rebalanced to make them useful ingame. Arquebusiers will not spend all their time rotating but lay down devastating fire. Other units have been given defence and attack boosts to reflect that they are wearing mail shirts and have better (steel) armour and swords compared to their early era counterparts. A late era unit of the same price should beat an early era unit of the same price.

Roster Changes

All Western factions can now recruit:
    • Gendarmes
    • Demi Lancers
    • Reiters
    • Musketeers
    • Pikemen
    • Arquebusiers
    • Halberd Militia
    • Pike Militia
    • Musketeers
    • Serpentines
    New Units
    • Dragoons (Spain)
    • Pistollers (Western factions)
    • "Alatriste" Breakthrough Infantry (Western factions)
    • Pavise Hand Gunners (Western factions)
    • Grenadiers (all Western factions)
    • Pagan Sorcerers (Lithuania)
    • Elephant Firethrowers (Kwarezm)
    Other changes: Changes
    • AI Serpentines will use grapeshot (watch out!)
    • Cannons will be able to choose between three types of shot (exploding, normal, grapeshot).
    • Teutonic order guild lets you recruit ritterbruder. Apparently this is the "in" thing to put in mods at the moment.
    • New full upgraded pike militia (made more badass-looking) & late era skins (featuring conquistadore helmets)
    Known Bugs
    Playing custom battles with “all” era selected will crash the game.

Screenshots
    Pike and shot:

The AOR System:

Installation
    Install (in sequence):

SS6.1->(optional:SSTC1.2 -> hotfix (link: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=162498))
    ->coloniesexpandedv0.1.rar (http://files.filefront.com/coloniese.../fileinfo.html)
    ->artassets1.rar(http://files.filefront.com/artassets.../fileinfo.html)
    ->contentpack2.rar(http://files.filefront.com/contentpa.../fileinfo.html)
    ->animationspack.rar(http://files.filefront.com/animation.../fileinfo.html
    ->contentpack3.rar(http://files.filefront.com/contentpa.../fileinfo.html)
    ->contentpack4.rar(http://files.filefront.com/contentpa.../fileinfo.html)
    ->contentpack6.rar(http://files.filefront.com/contentpa.../fileinfo.html)
    ->hotfix
    (hotfix.rar ; attached bottom of post)

If you are using Byg’s supply and command install the custom campaign_scripts located in Colonies Expanded v0.1 (read readme inside .rar file).

Optional
    If you want to play with the renaissance units immediately in campaign install the latelatecampaign files located in Colonies Expanded v0.1 (read readme inside .rar file) and play a Late Era Campaign.

For unit icons (to prevent AOR unit icons showing up as peasants) download
    uniticons.aor (link: http://hosted.filefront.com/yaoren121 "uniticonsaor.rar"))

Or do this:

Other way - with drag and drop:

1. Go to ..\Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data\ui\units\
    2. Open ..\Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data\ui\units\aragon
    3. Copy the content of ..\ui\units\aragon (the TGA files)
    4. Paste it to ..\Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data\ui\units\merc WITH OVERWRITE.
    5. Repeat steps 2,3 and 4 for other folders - byzantium, cumans, denmark, egypt, england, france, hre, hungary, ireland, jerusalem, .... teutonic_orders. turks, venice. Do not copy the content of "slave" folder.
    6. Go to ..\Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data\ui\units\merc folder.
    7. Chose with wich factions you will play. For example england
    8. Copy the content of ui\units\merc folder (the TGA files).
    9. Paste it to ..\Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data\ui\units\england folder WITHOUT OVERWRITE

10. Go to ..\Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data\ui\unit_info\
    11. Open ..\Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data\ui\unit_info\aragon
    12. Copy the content of ..\ui\unit_info\aragon (the TGA files)
    13. 4. Paste it to ..\Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data\ui\unit_info\merc WITH OVERWRITE.
    14. Repeat steps 11,12 and 13 for other folders - byzantium, cumans, denmark, egypt, england, france, hre, hungary, ireland, jerusalem, .... teutonic_orders. turks, venice. Do not copy the content of "slave" folder.
    15. 6. Go to ..\Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data\ui\unit_info\merc folder.
    16. Copy the content of ui\unit_info\merc folder (the TGA files).
    17. 9. Paste it to ..\Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data\ui\unit_info\england folder WITHOUT OVERWRITE

In ..\Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data\ui\units\england
    ..\Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data\ui\units\merc
    ..\Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data\ui\unit_info\england
    ..\Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\data\ui\unit_info\merc

Thanks to miau for the explanation

Compatibility:
    Should work with all mods that don’t change battle_models.modeldb, export_descr_buildings.txt, export_descr_units.txt

With SSTC:
    If using SSTC install the export_descr_units.txt inside the optional/SSTC folder of the .rar.

With BYGs:
    Install the custom_campaign scripts inside the optional/customscript folder.

2. Animations Pack

[font=Times New Roman][size=2][color=#000000]
    This release is now needed if you want to play the latest releases. This fixes up some niggling battlemap issues that are animation-dependent and lets me add new types of units.

This is an early release right now. Expect more updates and fixes.

Release details:

Animation Changes:
    • Gunmen ranks have synchronised fire.
    • Crossbowmen fire first then reload.
    • Improved unit cohesion: units will not shuffle back but creep forwards.
    • Front ranks of pikes do not run out of formation when told to (charge) attack a unit. The whole formation will advance as one.
    • Shaved ~1.5s off javelineer's preparation and firing time. This will make them more useful as hit and run units.

Last edited by Banzai!; August 16, 2008 at 10:26 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: AOR Colonies (Unit) Expanded

Are these letters too big? I have a big monitor.

miau's Avatar Civis

Default Re: AOR Colonies (Unit) Expanded (v0.1 Released!)

Bravo, Banzai!!!!!
    +rep

Default Re: AOR Colonies (Unit) Expanded

Quote Originally Posted by Banzai! View Post
    Are these letters too big? I have a big monitor.
    Actually the text is smaller than usual, but I too have a high resolution monitor. It's not a problem to read though.

The mod looks good, is it save game compatible? I think it will hold me over until Chimaeira's late era mod is released.

One thing, just from looking at it, I think the units that got added to other factions should have some kind of bonus for being recruited by their vanilla faction. Like some kind of experience bonus or larger recruitment pool, or maybe recruitable earlier to represent that they were originally used by that faction.

Barser's Avatar Senator

Elephant Firethrowers!!!

I want a screenshot

______________Factionleaders and Generals mod__________________
    ______________________Agents-minimod____________________________

hi banzai, thanks for this mod, I want to report a bug though: Early era luthiania unit Docal Axe is invisible on the battlefield, i'm not talking about the unit cards, but the unit's model itself. All I see are those round marker icons.

Could anyone tell me which file I should check into that may be related to this bug? I want to continue my campaign instead of waiting for a fix. Thanks!

Firebat11's Avatar Semisalis

go to the models.modelsdb file in the data/unit_models directory and find ducal_axe (I think that's the right entry).

Check to make sure that it has an entry for Lithuania. If it does, point a window to where the models.modelsdb file says the model file is located.

usually its data/unit_models/_units/foldername/filename.mesh
    Co-Creator of Battle for the Baltic Mod for SS 6.1

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LordWedggie View Post
    hi banzai, thanks for this mod, I want to report a bug though: Early era luthiania unit Docal Axe is invisible on the battlefield, i'm not talking about the unit cards, but the unit's model itself. All I see are those round marker icons.

Could anyone tell me which file I should check into that may be related to this bug? I want to continue my campaign instead of waiting for a fix. Thanks!
    Fixed. Added fix to bottom of first post.

I am hoping to add arquebusier volley animations if I get permission from Chaimaira to use his unpacked animations.

Thank you both. Meanwhile though I've found another invisible character: earl era Byzantine general: The horse is there, but the general isn't.

Anyway, thanks again Banzai ;D how was it fixed? I followed Firebat's instructions but didn't notice anything wrong?

Indefinitely Banned

Fixed. added to bottom of first post.

I fixed the ducal_axe problem by adding a merc entry (see Firebat's post)for the guy since he is an AOR mercenary_unit.

How is the mod so far?

I'm LOVING it. I also like the changes you made to building costs/times and more siege engines per unit etc. As BYZ I only took one Kevan Rus city so far, and was able to recruit their militia, already bought up some interesting. strategic thinking as whether or not I should bring them into my war with the Templars.

And all this at 0.1 ;D, keep up the great work!

Indefinitely Banned

? I didn't change the building costs/times.

aduellist's Avatar Push the button Max!

Any chance of a version that doesn't require SSTC? I only use RR.
    Under the patronage of TheFirstONeill
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken

"Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down." Frederick Douglass

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aduellist View Post
    Any chance of a version that doesn't require SSTC? I only use RR.
    Here is an edu for people not using SSTC (attached to bottom of post).

Overwrite the edu in your Stainless_Steel_6/data directory.

Indefinitely Banned

Alright so I've been working with the anims as part of the late era expansion.

I'm currently making anims so that pikemen put their pikes down while walking (will eventually just be as they walk into contact):

I've also got musketeers to fire in volley (synchronised).

I have got crossbowmen to preload their crossbows (fire first and then reload). However this means they must have the gunmen trait which means only one rank can fire at a time.

I'm not sure if I should include the preloaded crossbows in the next release. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Another idea I had: units go prone when they hide.
    Last edited by Banzai!; July 06, 2008 at 05:25 AM.

i think it is not needed - you can balance it out by adding extra range. What i'm personally most interested in is campaign map update right now campaign starts at 1450,but all provinces are from 1220.

How is the mod so far?
    Fantastic, thanks for this great mod.

I'm currently making anims so that pikemen put their pikes down while walking (will eventually just be as they walk into contact):

-I've also got musketeers to fire in volley (synchronised).
    -I have got crossbowmen to preload their crossbows (fire first and then reload). However this means they must have the gunmen trait which means only one rank can fire at a time.
    -I'm not sure if I should include the preloaded crossbows in the next release. What do you guys think?
    This all sounds impressive.

Preloaded crossbows are long overdue, good for my guys and will make me think twice before charging theirs with cavalry. Please release it.
    Another thing that needs changing is the slow reaction by crossbowmen to flee a cavalry charge, can you fix that?

Thanks again.

I've also got musketeers to fire in volley (synchronised).
    So that means the first rank will fire, run to the back, the second rank will immediately fire while the first rank reloads, then run to the back, etc? If there is no delay, this is excellent. Would this apply to arquebusiers and calivers too, not just muskets?

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    i think it is not needed - you can balance it out by adding extra range. What i'm personally most interested in is campaign map update right now campaign starts at 1450,but all provinces are from 1220.
    The optional campaign is just the late era campaign with unit activation events occuring on the second turn. It's just for people who want to play with guns immediately.

And I won't be able to mod this week: I've got a week-long selection board.

Indefinitely Banned

Ok I'm back. One week on and looks like not much has happened on this board. OTZ's mod looks nice. However I find that after a while even being able to recruit every single unit gets boring after a while. It's just horse archer, archer, spearmen, pikeman, swordsman, heavy cav with different skins.

This AOR mod allows you to recruit all factional units, even the top-level ones. I can't see the point of an AOR mod that doesn't. I hate retarded restrictions that stop fun. The point of an AOR mod is to able to play with nice units as your empire expands so the campaign never gets stale, not just spear militia with new skins.

An AOR mod that restricts your units: imagine playing that with BYGs + RR. --Shivers--

I won't have much free time from now on in but I'll be looking at improving the battlemap mechanics. I should be able to release my anim pack today or tomorrow.
    Last edited by Banzai!; July 11, 2008 at 02:43 PM.

Page 1 of 46 123456789101126 ... LastLast